- Text Size +
Monday came around quicker then Ashley had expected and she was nervous in anticipation of her audition that afternoon. She and Matt had remained silent about the kiss that almost took place outside her house the other night but it was still in the back of her mind.

The day seemed to go on slower then usual as Ashley checked the clock in her health class. She was glad she didn’t have gym today because she didn’t want to look bad for the audition. She was in her own dream world when she saw Marissa passing her a note on her desk. She quickly grabbed it and quietly unfolded it under her desk.

‘I think my brother likes you!’ It read complete with a smiley face. Ashley tried to contain her smile as she turned to her and whispered.

“Really?”

“He couldn’t stop talking about you all weekend.” Marissa confided. “Don’t tell him I told you he would kill me.”

“Girls is there something you would like to share with the class?” their teacher interrupted their conversation. They both quickly turned their attention back to their teacher.

“Sorry.” They both mumbled. As soon as she turned her back they began talking again.

“So?” Marissa asked.

“So what?”

“Duh! Do you like him too?”

Ashley could feel her cheeks flushing as she tried to contain her grin.

“Oh my god you do!” Marissa whispered in excitement.

“You better not tell him.” Ashley warned.

Marissa just grinned slyly and Ashley knew that wasn’t a good sign.


The bell finally rang and the girls all parted to make their way to their lockers. Ashley knew she couldn’t worry about Marissa talking to Matt because she had to focus on the audition. She checked her watch as she finished packing her books for the day. It was only 3:00. Her audition time wasn’t for another hour so she had plenty of time to relax and get her mind focused.


She sat in the hallway leaning against some lockers as she waited for her turn. The boys were auditioning in the gym so she was by herself. She kept checking her watch every few minutes but the time seemed to be going by slowly. She was listening to her song on her headphones when she saw someone standing in front off her. She looked up and smiled as she realized it was Matt. She pulled off her headphones as he took a seat next to her.

“You finished your audition already?” she asked.

“Yeah. I think it went really good.” He smiled. “How much longer until yours?” he asked. She glanced at her watch.

“Only another 5 minutes or so. I think there’s one other person ahead of me.” She bit her lip nervously.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be awesome.” He smiled reassuring her.

“Thanks.” She smiled back. “I can’t believe that we have to be here until six tonight. The auditions seem so long.” She laughed trying to calm her nerves with some conversation.

“I know I don’t think I’ve ever been here that late, but hopefully it will be worth it.”

“Ashley McLean.” Mr. Dunham’s assistant called from the door.

“That’s me.” She replied getting up from her spot on the floor.

“Good Luck!” Matt called out as she walked threw the door. She turned and smiled back at him.



Her audition went off flawlessly and she thought she had made a good impression on Mr. Dunham. She hoped she had done good enough to get her threw to the pairs audition and everyone was anxious to find out. There were two other people who auditioned after Ashley and after that everyone was called back into the auditorium and asked to take a seat.


“Okay.” Mr. Dunham the musical director began. “We want to thank everyone for the amazing turnout we’ve had today. This has been one of the hardest auditions we have had so far. We have narrowed our leads down to a top 4 girls and boys.
We will pair you up and proceed to the duet audition where you will act out your scene and then perform your song. We will be judging you on how well you work with someone else, your performance and your overall comfort on stage. Everyone else will be able to sit in on these auditions but we ask that you remain quiet in respect of those on stage. Now we might pair you up and ask you to perform with more then one person if we feel that someone might have a better chemistry.”


He looked threw the papers in front of him. “Ok so those trying out for the other roles will be tomorrow and the pairs will be announced later on today. So without further ado the top four boys are David Reed, Michael Johnson, Matthew Stellar and Jason Alexander.”

“Oh my god you made it!” Ashley exclaimed as she heard Matt’s name being called. “That’s awesome.”

“Yes! I can’t believe it!.” He said smiling. “Your next I know it.”

“The top four girls are Destiny Landau, Michelle Santiago, Kimberly Parmenter and Ashley McLean.”

Ashley’s eyes lit up in excitement as she heard her name being called.

“Told you!” Matt said as he hugged her. She felt the butterflies rise in her stomach. She couldn’t believe that she had really made it to the next level.

“Congratulations to you all for making it this far and to those who didn’t don’t worry there are parts for all of you still. Will all of you please report to the stage and we will pair you up and begin in a few minutes.” He said as the eight of them made their way to the front.

Ashley was first placed with Jason. She was a little sad that she hadn’t been placed with Matt because she knew they sounded good together but she knew she could prove she deserved the part on her own and hopefully he would do the same.

After everyone had gone threw once with their partners they looked over their papers and decided to move some people around. This time Ashley was paired up with Matt and she knew it was now or never, it was their time to really show that they both had what it took to play the leads. They made it threw their song and scene flawlessly and Ashley could tell that Mr. Dunham was pleased.

The auditions were over and now it was up to Mr. Dunham and his assistant to make the decisions. They had provided pizza and drinks in the cafeteria for everyone since they were missing dinner and it gave them plenty of time to make their final decisions. Once everyone had finished eating they made their way back upstairs.

Mr. Dunham stood in the front of the auditorium holding a list in his hand. Once everyone seated he began speaking again.

“As you heard there was a lot of talent here today. This decision was not an easy one but we feel like we have made the best choices. Now anyone in grades 6 and 7 who signed up for a chorus roll have been cast as chorus. You will receive more specific character rolls tomorrow when we hand out scripts. Those of you who made the pairs audition but aren’t cast as our two leads will receive the rolls of the Pink Lady’s and T-Birds. All the others you will receive your specific rolls tomorrow. So now onto what you’ve all been waiting for, the rolls of Sandy and Danny.”

Ashley grabbed Matt’s hand out of nervousness hoping she would hear their names called.

“Danny will be played by Matt Stellar. Congratulations Matt.” He announced as everyone took a moment to congratulate him.

Ashley hugged Matt in excitement. “Wow that’s amazing!” she smiled at him.

“It’ll be even better when he calls your name.” he smiled back.

She bit her lip nervously as he began to speak again.

“And Sandy will be played by Ashley McLean. Congratulations to the both of you. You did an amazing job and I look forward to working with you and everyone else. See you all tomorrow after school where we will hand out scripts and rehearsal schedules.”

Ashley could barely contain herself from screaming in excitement. She couldn’t believe she had just received the lead in the school play. There were congratulations from everyone around them as she sat there in shock.

“We did it I can’t believe it!” Matt said snapping her out of her daze.

“Oh my god I know! My moms gonna be so excited!” she said as they exited the school. Ashley saw Denise’s car parked across the street and she couldn’t wait to run and tell her.


“Ashley wait!” Matt called out to her. She stopped on her fast track towards the car and turned back to him. He caught up with her before he spoke.

“I was wondering if maybe we could uhh go out this weekend to celebrate? Like get pizza and see a movie?” now it was his turn to bite his lip nervously.

“Like a date?” she said the butterflies returning to her stomach and her cheeks flushing.

“Yea. I mean if you want.”

“Yea that would be fun. I have to ask my mom but I’m sure she’d say yes. I’ll let you know tomorrow.” She smiled trying to contain her excitement.

“Great!” he smiled. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow then.” He gave her a quick hug goodbye and retreated to his car as Ashley did the same.