- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The drama starts to unfold...
The months seemed to fly by and Ashley’s play was right around the corner.

Thanksgiving had just passed and as always AJ had found an excuse to not be there. She wanted to make sure there was no way he could back out of her play. She had been bugging him for the past month to make sure he would come. Now that the play was only a week away she knew it was crunch time. She pulled out her cell phone and dialed his number hoping he would pick up.


“Speak.” He said picking up after about three rings.

“Hey Alex. Just checking in seeing how your rehearsals are going.”

“And to make sure I’m still coming this weekend?” he laughed. “I told you a million times already that I’m going.”

“I know but I just wanna make sure you don’t forget.”

“I already have my plane ticket and we have the weekend off so no need to worry. I promise you that I’ll be there no matter what.”

“Ok just you know how important this is to me.”

“Ash, I promised that I would be there. I wouldn’t let you down like that. I know this is important.” She could hear the frustration growing in his voice.

“I know. I’m sorry.” She sighed. As much as he pushed his promises she wouldn’t believe it till she saw it. He had been breaking promises a lot lately. She didn’t want to aggravate him so she dropped it. “Are you at rehearsal?”

“Yea we just got a little break. Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” he asked noticing the time.

“Yea but we have dress rehearsal all week so I get out of class early. We’re having lunch then I have to rehearse.” She informed him. “Are all the guys there with you right now?”

“Just Rok and Nick. Why?”

“Can I talk to Brian?” she asked.

“Oh I see how it is, just dropping me for your golden boy.” He teased.

“Oh shut up.” She laughed. “Just put him on the phone.”

“Alright hold on.” He said as she heard him calling for Brian.


“Hidey Ho!” Brian said in a high-pitched southern voice. Ashley couldn’t’ help but laugh.

“Hey Brian.”

“What’s up chicken butt?”

“I know you got mad at me last time for not telling you about the memorial thing so I wanted to make sure that you knew about my play this weekend. Alex said you guys have off so I figured I might as well tell you.”

“Yeah I heard AJ say something about that. I can’t make any promises cuz’ I might have to go somewhere with Leighanne but I’ll try and come. When exactly is the show?” he asked.

“It’s on Saturday night.”

“Ok well like I said I can’t make any promises but I will try.”

“Awesome! Well I hope I see you there! Have fun at rehearsal I have to finish lunch before I get in trouble.”

“Ok. Bye sweetie maybe I’ll see you this weekend.” He said hanging up.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Saturday rolled around quickly and the night of the play had finally arrived. Ashley would be at school all day until the play started. AJ had flown in the night before with Angel. Ashley was a little upset because Brian had called and said that he wouldn’t be able to make it. What she didn’t know was that he and Leighanne were coming to surprise her.

They arrived at the house just around noon. Denise greeted them at the door with a big smile.

“I’m so glad that you two could make it!” she hugged them both as they came inside.

“I had an audition in New York but it got postponed. We figured it would be more fun to surprise Ashley.” Leighanne smiled.

“I felt so bad lying to her.” Brian chuckled. “She sounded so upset that we couldn’t make it.”

“Well she’ll be ecstatic. You know where everything is. So make yourselves at home.”

“Thanks mom.” Brian smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

"I'm gonna go freshen up." Leighanne smiled leaving the two.

“Where’s AJ at?” Brian asked

“He’s visiting with some friends. I told him we had to be at the school by 5:00 so I pray that he shows up on time.”

“I’m sure he’ll be there. He knows how much this means to her.” Brian reassured her.

“We’ll that hasn’t stopped him recently. He always seems to find a way to loose track of time. I swear I don’t know what has gotten into that boy lately. Ever since he moved to California he’s been like this. Missing out on family events, slacking off, and breaking promises. I wish he would just come to me and tell me what’s going on but he’s so secluded.” She frowned.

“Don’t worry mom. Just pray for him that’s all you can do and hope that whatever he is going threw he’ll choose to come to you or to someone else to talk about it.”

“I just worry for him when I’m not around.” She sighed. “I just hope for Ashley’s sake he comes threw for her tonight. I don’t know how much more of this she can take from him.”

“That’s partially why we wanted to come. If he decides to be a no show hopefully the surprise of having Leighanne and I here will counter that.” He said taking a seat out by the pool. “But let’s not think the worst. Let’s just hope that all goes off well tonight and that he’ll make it.”

“You’re right. We’re all going to have a great time tonight and Ashley will do fantastic.” Denise smiled and returned back in the house to make some lunch for everyone.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AJ glanced at the clock on the wall. It was already 4:00. He had an hour before he had to get over to the school and he wanted to freshen up. He groaned pulling back the covers and sitting up in the bed.

He was about to get up when the girl lying next to him wrapped her arms around him from behind. She kissed the back of his neck as she ran her nails over his chest.

“What’s the rush baby?” she whispered seductively in his ear. “We were just getting warmed up.”

“I have somewhere to go.” He said dryly as he pulled her arms off him.

“What you have someone else to go fuck?” she pouted. “You promised me that this weekend would be all about me.”

“Alana you know it’s not like that. I told you I had somewhere to go tonight. I’ll be back later and then we can get back down to business.” He flashed her a grin.

“But baby I want you now.” She grabbed the bottle of whiskey off the nightstand and poured herself another shot and then one for him. “Come on baby just think of all the crazy fun we had last time.” She hovered the shot in front of his face.

“Babe…” he tried to continue but she had already begun trailing his neck with kisses. He groaned as he took the shot from her hand and downed it. He took a second but regained his control. “If this wasn’t important you know I wouldn’t leave you.” He tried to reason with her.

“More important then me?” she pouted.

“Nothing’s more important then you.” He rolled his eyes in his mind. He was spreading the icing on thick. If she weren’t so good in bed he would have been out the door already.

“Then prove it to me.” She grinned pushing him back down on the bed and straddling his hips. “Besides I thought after we had our little fun I’d invite Julie and Steph over again. You know how much fun that was last time.”

‘Three girls or a stupid play?’ AJ asked to himself.

He didn’t even have to think more then two seconds about that one. He picked the phone up off the receiver and handed it to her. “Make that call.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Denise looked at her watch as they sat in their seats awaiting the beginning of the show. It was 5:45 and the show was starting in 15 minutes.

She sighed as she called his cell phone one more time and was directed right to his voice mail yet again. She didn’t bother leaving a message she just turned off her phone and put it away.

“I can’t believe he’s doing this to her again.” Denise sighed.

“He needs to stop promising her things when he knows he’s not gonna do it.” Brian shook his head.

“I just don’t understand what’s going threw his head. He knew this was important to her.”

“Ashley’s gonna be really upset.” Angel chimed in.

“Well she has all of us here so we just have to make sure to not make a big deal out of it.” Tony told them.

“I just don’t want the party to be ruined for her. I know she’ll try and play it off like it doesn’t bother her I just hope she doesn’t let it ruin her night.”

Denise had agreed to hold the cast party at the house that night since they had the most space. Ashley was excited to have everyone over and Denise didn’t want to ruin the fun.

“We’ll all make sure she has a good time don’t worry sweetheart.” Tony squeezed her hand reassuringly.

The lights faded letting everyone know that the show was about to begin. Denise put all her concerns to the side knowing she had to just enjoy herself and Ashley’s performance.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The show had been amazing. Everyone did such a good job and everyone in the audience seemed to enjoy it. Denise had told Ashley they would meet her outside after the show to try and stay away from the crowds. She had put together most of her stuff during intermission so she was out fairly quick.

She scanned the group as she approached and only saw Denise, Tony and Angel. She sighed as she looked around a little more and didn’t see AJ anywhere in sight. She didn’t notice Brian and Leighanne hiding off to the side waiting to surprise her. He saw her smile fade when she couldn’t find AJ. As she approached the group she planted a smile on her face and faked happiness the best she could.

“Hey guys!” she greeted them “What did you think of the show?”

“You were awesome!” Angel smiled hugging her.

“You did amazing Ashley.” Tony smiled. “Here let me take those for you.” He grabbed her bags from her.

“I’m so proud of you!” Denise hugged her handing her a bouquet of flowers.

“Thanks.” She smiled back at all of them.

Brian and Leighanne snuck out from behind her and Brian grabbed her giving her a big hug lifting her off the ground.

“Surprise!” he yelled putting her down.

She turned around and her eyes lit up as she saw them.

“What are you guys doing here? I thought you had an audition.” She asked Leighanne.

“It was postponed so we figured we’d surprise you.” She smiled hugging her.

“I’m so happy that you guys came!” she hugged Brian again.

“Okay so what’s happening with the party?” Denise asked. “Are you going to come home with us now or get ready at Marissa’s house?”

“They’re coming with us now to get ready at our house.” She said looking for them. “It’s just Marissa coming now and Matt I think. Everyone else should be there soon.”

“Ok, so why don’t you get them so we can make sure everything is set up at the house by the time everyone gets there.”

“Sounds good.”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Ashley tried to keep her spirits up throughout the party. She hadn’t said one word about AJ and no one wanted to be the first to bring it up. It was getting late and most people had started to head home. Brian finally saw Ashley by herself and decided to grab her while he could.

“Are you busy?” he asked as he walked over.

“No, not really. Just taking a little break from dancing.” She laughed a little. “I’m starting to get tired, it’s been a long day.”

“Can we go out by the pool and talk for a minute?” the pool had been off limits to the party so it would be quiet.

“Yea sure.” She said as they headed out there. They took a seat and Ashley just stared down at her hands waiting for her to say something.

“So you did a really good job tonight. “ he smiled taking a seat.

“Thanks.” She looked up at him a little.

“So what’s this I hear about you and your little friend Matt?” he teased trying to break the ice.

“What about him?” she could feel her cheeks flushing.
“Since when do you have a boyfriend?”

“Since like August.” She laughed a little. “Where have you been B?” she teased.

“Hey you’re the one who keeps me out of the loop!”

“So I know you didn’t bring me out here to talk about Matt so spit it out.”

“Well I couldn’t help but notice that a certain someone wasn’t present tonight.”

She knew that’s what he brought her outside to talk about AJ. He was the only one with the guts enough to bring it up.

“Yea.” She frowned a little. “I kind of expected it.”

“I saw that you were upset when you didn’t see him. Do you wanna talk about it?”

“What’s there to talk about?” she bit her lip not wanting to get too emotional. “Something obviously came up. I can’t do anything about that.”

“It’s okay to be upset about it. I know he let you down.” He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“I kinda got used to it.” She sighed. “Besides I have you and everyone else who cares about me here.”

“He cares about you Ash, he just…I don’t even know.” He took a deep breath. “I know you really don’t wanna talk about it but just know that Leighanne and I are always there for you if you need someone to talk to. Okay?”

“I know B.” she smiled and hugged him. “Thanks.”

“No problem sweetie.” He hugged her back and they returned to the party.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


It was Sunday afternoon and everyone had headed back to California. Tony and Denise had gone out to lunch but Ashley decided to stay home and relax. She was still tired from the previous day.


Ashley was sitting on the couch in the living room watching some TV when she heard the front door open. She didn’t think Denise would be back yet but was surprised when she saw AJ walking threw the door. She thought he would have headed back to LA already.

He walked in the living room and took a seat next to her on the couch smiling at her. She just looked at him with a stone face.

“What’s up kiddo?” he asked as if nothing was wrong.
She couldn’t believe he was just playing it off like nothing happened.

She turned her head away from him and rolled her eyes getting up from the couch and headed upstairs to her room. He sighed and followed her upstairs.

“I didn’t say you could come in.” she said coldly from her desk.

“What’s up with you? Why are you giving me the cold shoulder?”

She looked at him in disbelief.

“Alex what happened to you the other night? You promised me you’d be at my show.”

“I got busy. Things come up, you know how it is.”

“No, I don’t. So why don’t you fill me in.”

“Listen Ash, something just came up and I had to be somewhere else. It’s no big deal.”

“Maybe not to you but to me it is. It seems like something’s always coming up these days.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means I’m tired of your excuses. If you didn’t wanna come all you had to do was say so.”

“Yeah and that would go over so well with you.”

“Well it’s better then lying to me and just not showing up anyway. I always support you in everything you do and you can’t show up for me one time.”

“It’s not just one time. Everyone always expects me to be there for them. Did you ever think that I might have better things to do?”

“Are you ever hearing what you’re saying? You used to care about your family, now all you care about is yourself. What happened to you?”

“I got a life, and in case you haven’t realized it doesn’t revolve around you, so why don’t you just do me a favor and stay out of it.”

“You know you always said that you’d never be like your dad but take a good look in the mirror Alex because you’re just like him.”

She knew how to push his buttons and she just hit the nail right on the head.

“I’ll never be like him. Take that back.” he yelled angrily.

“You are just like him. Ditching out on your family, staying out all night, only doing what’s best for you. You and him are the same person…the truth hurts doesn’t it.”

“You’re just an ungrateful bitch. Look at how much I’ve don’t for you and this is how you thank me? Talking to me like this?”

“You think this is what I care about Alex? Money, a big house, no! All I ever wanted was to have you around. I feel like I don’t even know you anymore. What happened to Alex? My cousin…my big brother. The one that was always there for me when I needed him? I want that Alex back…”

“Well he’s gone and if you can’t accept me for who I am then I don’t need you.”

“Fine. You don’t need me then I’m gone, but don’t expect me to come back.”

She said it simply but firmly and she meant it. If he didn’t want her to be part of his life then she’d remove herself from it for good.