- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
so what's gonna happen at the party? finally time to find out :)
“Ok I'm back, sorry.” Ashley said returning to Ryan after leaving Jared a message. “Just wanted to make sure I looked ok. I know you said not to be nervous, but I can’t help it.”

“It’s ok, but you look beautiful. Just be yourself and they’ll love u.” Ryan smiled and took her hand leading her down a hallway where voices could be heard coming from the room at the end. He knocked on the door slightly and slid it open poking his head in.

“Can I come in? There’s someone I want you to meet.”

“Let me call you back." Said the man as he clicked his phone off. "Come in, come in.” she heard a deeper voice and figured it was his father. Ashley tightened her grip on Ryan’s hand as he slid one of the double doors fully open and stepped in.

“Hey dad.” Ryan waved slightly as he stepped them closer to the desk in what appeared to be his father’s office. “This is Ashley.”

“Ah, Ashley. So nice to finally meet you.” His dad said standing from his desk and walking around to greet her with a handshake. “Ryan is all talk about you.”

"Hopefully all good." She smiled as she shook his hand.

"Of course! We're very happy that you could make it on such short notice. This party was planned months ago or else we would have extended an invitation to you much sooner." He apologized.

"No problem at all, I'm just happy to be here." She smiled, her nervousness somewhat at ease. Ryan was about to speak as her phone began to ring.

"I'm so sorry that must be my brother. I forgot to let him know we got here. Excuse me just a minute." She said politely and walked into the hallway making sure she was out of earshot. She knew by the ring tone it was Jared calling her and she couldn't chance playing phone tag.

"Hey." She said quietly.

"I didn't know you were going to be at the party." Jared said nervously.

"Yea well neither did I until just a few hours ago and I also didn't know that you're all one big happy family over here. What am I supposed to do if your dad sees me?"

"Arghh were in over our heads. I never should have let this go on for so long. Especially after you started hanging out with Ryan. This is one hell of a mess. Look just leave it up to me, I'll just have to figure something out to tell my dad." Jared said. Ashley could tell by the tone in his voice he was freaking out.

"We're in this together, I'm not leaving you hanging out to dry. We can think something up. You just have to keep your dad from seeing me till' we do."

"I don't know what I would do without you." Jared said slightly relieved he wasn't alone in this. "Does Ryan know?"

"No, but he'll understand. Especially if he knows your dad." She sighed. "But I have to get back in the room I'm doing the whole meet the parents thing and disappearing for 10 minutes would not make a good first impression. Text me when you’re close and I'll hide out so we can meet and form a plan. It will all work out no worries." She reassured him.

"Thank you so much. I love you more then you know right now."

"We're besties, it's my job." She said before hanging up.

She put her phone away and turned around realizing she didn't pay much attention to where she was going when she had wandered off. Ryan was right, drive her around the block and she'd get lost. She wandered down a hallway trying to remember where she had come from when a voice startled her.

"Can I help you?" A slender blonde woman asked.

The woman had similar features to Ryan and she could tell that it was his mom. Ashley took a minute to gather her thoughts but the woman cut her off.

"Party guests are supposed to remain outside."

"I'm sorry. I was looking for Ryan." She finally found her words. "I was in the office with him and had to answer a phone call, I kind of got turned around I'm not exactly sure which way is back."

"And you would be?"

"Oh I'm sorry, how rude of me." She said feeling her nerves rush back. His mother wasn't half as warm and welcoming as his father. In fact she was very intimidating. Ashley could feel her sizing her up as she waited for a response. "I'm Ashley, Ryan's girlfriend." She said extending a hand, which wasn't returned.

"Ahh yes I see." She said emotionless. Ashley bit her lip nervously not being able to gauge her response. "The office is down this hallway here all the way to the end. Knock before you enter."

"Of course, thank you." Ashley said trying to get away as soon as possible. "It was nice meeting you, you have a very beautiful home."

"Thank you, tell Ryan I need to speak with him, he can find me in the upstairs study."

"No problem." She smiled and walked back towards the office. She knocked softly and Ryan opened the door with a smile.

"There you are, I was beginning to think you got lost." He teased.

"It would be very funny if it weren't true." She said walking in. "Where'd your dad go?"

"To finish getting ready. But he did say you were a great catch and to keep you around." He smiled taking a seat in one of the chairs and pulling her down to his lap. "Told you he'd like you."

"I wish I could say the same for your mom." She sighed.

"You met my mom?"

"In my little quest to find my way back. God she probably thinks I'm an airhead, getting lost in a hallway."

"My mom just gets very intense around party time, sorry I wasn't there. I'm sure she likes you just fine." He reassured her. "In your defense those hallways are tricky."

"Don't make fun." She smacked his arm playfully. "First impressions mean everything, and I don't think mine was a very good one. Not on her at least."

"Babe, my dad likes you, my family likes you and most important I like you. My mom barely likes us most of the time. She's pretty much the female equivalent of Jared's dad."

"Speaking of Jared's dad..." She trailed off hoping he'd be as understanding of the situation as she thought. "There's a funny little story I need to fill you in on."

"And that would be?" He said curiously.

"It can wait a few minutes." She said getting up. "Your mom said she needed to speak with you in the upstairs study, probably about your poor choice in girlfriends. So go before she thinks I'm an even bigger airhead who forgot to tell you. I need to talk to Jessy anyway."

"I promise she likes you, she just takes some getting used to." He said pulling her into a hug and kissing her. "Do you need me to show you how to get back outside?"

"I think I can manage." She smiled and kissed him back.

They both exited the room and started for their destinations. Ashley walked ahead trying to remember the way outside.

"Left." Ryan called to her from the stairs laughing as she stood trying to figure which way to go next.

"I would have figured it out eventually!" She called back before going the way he said finally making it outside. She approached the tent again. She spotted Jessy sitting at the table and made her way over.

"Hey Jessy, can I talk to you quick?"

"I just got off the phone with Jared a few minutes ago." She said as soon as they were away from the small crowd.

"What should we do?"

"I told him he had two options, come clean and finally get everything out in the open or lie again and say you guys broke up. When was the last time you saw my dad?"

"Probably about six weeks ago, I know it was at least before thanks giving."

"And how long have you and Ryan been dating?" She asked.

"Officially only about a week."

"Well if I know Jared he's going to go for the lie, luckily there's enough of a gap that things could fall into place. I just wish he would finally come out to my dad. Lying like this is just stressing him out more then anything."

"He's just afraid your dad won't accept him. You know better then anyone how hard your dad is on Jared, I don't blame him."

"My dad would be shocked at first, but he'd come around. He can't keep it a secret forever, he's eventually going to explode."

"I'm sure he'll get to it, he just has to do it on his own time." Ashley sighed.

"I know, I just worry for him." Jessy said. "But at least he has a good support system, I know I've told you before but thanks for caring for him so much."

"He's there for me when I need him, it’s the least I could do."

"There you are, glad you made it out here. I thought I would have to send out a search party for you." Ryan said coming up behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist. "Just so you know mom only wanted to tell me to change my shirt."

"Did she say anything about me?"

"No, but take that as a good sign. The less she says the better."

"If you say so." She shrugged.

"So what was this story you had to tell me?"

"That's my cue to leave." Jessy said.

"It's kind of a funny story." She smiled a little trying to break the ice before she went into detail.

"So what are you going to do?" He asked curiously as she finished.

"First off your not mad are you?"

"Of course not." He shook his head. "I grew up around Jared’s dad and he's always been like that with him, putting him down, never being happy for him. Jared's a great person and it makes you ten times more amazing that you would do something like that for him. It shows how great of a person you are too." He kissed her for reassurance.

"Why do you always know what to say?" She blushed and kissed him back. "We haven't finalized anything but pretty much were gonna say that we broke up, but were still friends."

"I just hope his dad isn't too hard on him." Ryan sighed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

An hour later the party was in full swing the last of the guests were arriving when Ashley got a text from Jared. She pulled out her phone to read it.

'Just got here already tlked 2 dad told him we broke up a few days after last dinner cuz were better as frndz c u inside hope he duznt bug u'

"Jared’s here." Ashley leaned over to inform Ryan. They looked up just in time to see them walk into the tent.

He and his dad parted ways as the entrance and he made his way over to their table.

“Hey Ash, Ryan.” He said taking a seat. Ashley could tell from the look on his face that he was upset.

“How did everything go?” She asked.

“Ehh, I mean nothing I wouldn’t expect. I’m kind of not in the mood to talk about it though.” He sighed.
“I feel really bad that this had to happen.” Ashley frowned.

“It’s not your fault. You were great enough to keep it up for this long.” Jared reassured her. “It’s all good, at least it kept him off my back for a while.”

“Don’t let your dad get to you man, he’s not worth the stress. I learned to ignore my mom a long time ago.” Ryan chimed in.

“I try, but there’s only so much I can take.”

“Well let’s just have fun and try to keep the drama to a minimum tonight.” Ashley smiled at the both of them. “I’m just happy to have you both here.”

“Agreed.” They both said.

Dinner had finished and everyone had left their tables to mix and mingle. Ashley, Ryan and Jared had managed to avoid Mr. Thompson so far but their luck soon came to an end.

“Ryan, come over here.” His dad called to him from a group of people. “You’ve barely said hi to any of the guests.”

Ryan glanced at Ashley as she stayed back with Jared and Ryan walked over.

“Jared, come here too.” His father called to him.

Jared sighed and Ashley patted his back and walked over to the group with him.

“Ashley, how wonderful to see you.” Mr. Thompson greeted her. “So sad to hear that you and Jared are no longer an item.”

“We’re still great friends though, which I’m very grateful for.” She smiled trying to keep the conversation short.

“I didn’t know that you and Jared knew each other.” Ryan’s dad chimed in.

“Yes Dave, actually your son stole her right out from under Jared’s nose.” He said with a chuckle.

“Those boys have always been competitive.” Ryan’s father chimed in with a laugh.

"You know, Jared has never been able to beat Ryan in anything." His dad turned his attention back to the small group. "I remember when they were younger they'd compete in everything they did, but my boy here always came in just under the gun."

"Gee dad, what a nice memory." Jared sighed wishing he could just hide under a rock.

"But then again I could see why she would choose Ryan over you, he's got the look he's varsity quarter back, see I always told you sports would help you win over the ladies. It worked for your brother too."

"Dad, enough please?" Jared was becoming visibly angered.

"What it's nothing to be ashamed of, you've accomplished a lot. Ryan here just knows how to get the upper hand."

“You know what? I’m sick of this. I will never be good enough for you, will I?” Jared yelled at his father, now catching the attention of most of the guests.

“Jared, lower your voice. This is no place to make a scene.” Mr. Thompson said visibly angered at his outburst.

“No! I can’t take it anymore. No matter what I do I’m never good enough. But you know what dad? I’ll never be like Ryan. I’ll never be like James. I can only be me and I’m tired of trying to hide that from you. I’ve been lying to you and hiding it from you for so long now because I knew you would never accept me for who I am, but I don’t care anymore. I can’t care anymore.”

“Jared you’re talking crazy, this is not the time or place to have a little tantrum.” His father was becoming more and more infuriated by the second and Ashley was afraid his head would explode.

“I'm not crazy dad, I’m gay.” He said simply waiting for the real explosion to occur.

Instead his father just looked at him for a brief moment and turned away, leaving him there with no response.

Ashley could tell he was crushed. She knew he wanted to break down right there. She looked at Ryan and he pointed towards an isolated area. Placing a hand on his shoulder they lead him away from the shocked crowd.

"Are you ok?" Ashley looked at him with concern.

"I can't believe I just did that." Jared finally spoke after a few moments of silence. "All my life I wondered what that moment would be like, where, how, what he would do. I wanted to believe he would accept me, he's going to hate me forever."

"He's not gonna hate you forever, he just needs some time to think." Ashley reassured him.

"Yeah think about how much of a failure I really am." He sighed on the verge of tears.

“You’re not a failure.” Jessy said joining them and walking over to sit next to Jared. “You have no idea how incredibly proud I am of you right now.”

“Jess, he’s never gonna speak to me ever again.”

“Well then that’s his loss.” She reassured him. “You are amazing and if he’s too blind or ignorant to see that then he’s not who I think he is.”

“You did something that you’ve been scared to do forever and that alone make you ten times more of a man then he’ll ever be.” Ashley chimed in.

“I don’t know what I would do without you guys.” Jared smiled at them. “I love you.” He said hugging them.

“Things will be better now. This is a giant weight off your shoulders.” Jessy said returning the hug.

“I sure hope so.” He sighed wondering how things would change for him now. He still couldn’t be sure if this was a huge mistake or a blessing in disguise, but he knew that only time would tell.