- Text Size +

I spent Friday morning either crying at the drop of a hat or attempting to keep myself busy while I played with Alex or packed his overnight bag. It was now a little after 3, and Nick had just called to tell me he was on his way home and that Aj would be there soon to pick up Alex. I sighed as I sat in the living room watching Alex play with a puzzle on the floor. I knew my mom had shared custody with my dad until I was 14 years old, I wondered now if it had been this hard on her as it was on me. I looked up as Nick entered the living room.
"Hey babe," He said grinning at me.
"Hey." I said my voice showing my mood.
"It will be okay. I promise." He said as he sat beside me on the couch.
"I know. How was work?"
"Singing, Singing and um more singing." He said as he leaned back in the couch. I was envious of his calmness.
"Sounds like fun."
"Yeah, so much fun. Kevin screaming at me in my headphones all day. I’m gonna hear him in my nightmares." He said shivering dramatically. He could always make me laugh; no matter what was happening he could make me laugh.

My laughter was short lived as the doorbell rang. "I’ll be back." Nick said as he stood from the couch. I could hear him talking to someone at the door. I knew it wasn’t Aj and I was shocked to see a pleasant woman step into the living room in front of Nick.
"Liz, I want you to meet Denise, Aj’s mother." Nick said as I stood from the couch.
"Hi, Ms. McLean." I said. Her kindness shocked me as she pulled me to her and hugged me.
"Now where is he?" She said as she turned and looked down. She gasped as she saw him across the room.
"Alex." When he turned, I knelt and called him to me, "Come here. There is someone I want you to meet." He stood slowly and came toward me. I picked him and held him on my hip as I turned back to Denise. "Alex, this is your grandmother. Denise, this is Alexander Nickolas."
"Oh my, Alex said he looked just like him. I didn’t dream he meant this much like him. He looks just like his daddy at this age." I nodded and handed him to Denise. I fought back the tears as she held him.

A short while later Denise turned to me, "Are you okay with this?" She asked as she stood in the foyer with Alex in her arms.
I smiled weakly, "No, but it’s not fair to keep him from his father."
"Now, if you get worried, you give me a call and I’ll let you know how he is. I’ll be staying with Alex for a little while. So you don’t worry about what time it is, you just give me a call okay?"
"Thank you Denise."
"You are more than welcome Elizabeth." She said as she hugged my neck again. I gave Alex a kiss on the forehead and handed her his overnight bag.
"Bye baby, you be a good boy. Mama loves you and she will see you soon." I said as she walked through the door. Nick closed the door softly behind her. I stood there unable to turn my eyes away from the door.

"Come on. Let’s get something to eat." He said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders.
"I’m not hungry."
"You have to eat Liz, you haven’t really eaten in days."
"I’m fine. I promise. I’m just not hungry." I smiled up at him weakly.
"Okay." He said and walked into the kitchen.