- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews. It is good to know that this story hase caught some peoples attention!
Chapter 2


To say things were awkward between Nick and his dad was an understatement. After coming face to face with him the night before for the first time in six years he found himself speechless. He’d went over the things he wanted to say to him thousands of times before, yet at that moment none of them seemed appropriate. What exactly do you say to someone who you disappointed so immensely? ‘Sorry about that dad.’ Just doesn’t seem appropriate. But then again what is appropriate? How do you make up for not contacting your family at all for the last six years? Looking back at his original reasons for cutting off contact and he felt foolish. He was angry because his father had the ability to get him out of the situation he was put in, but he didn’t. Back then Nick didn’t understand and by the time he realized that his dad was just trying to be a good father and teach him responsibilities, he felt that it was too late to just pick up the phone and say ‘hey dad sorry I have totally ignored your attempts to contact me for the last four years.’

Needless to say when his father insisted that Nick stay at their home he was rather shocked. His father did a good job of avoiding the overhanging subject of Nick’s rebellion, for he really was just happy to see that his son was okay. Nick looked around the yard as they pulled up to his childhood home and he wasn’t shocked at all that it looked exactly the same. He could probably close his eyes and maneuver the property with ease. The property was still well lit with field lights, something his mother always insisted on for some unknown reason, however at this moment he was thankful for them. The impressive live oak tree to the left of the house still had his pitiful excuse for a tree house in it. He spent day’s building it with Kevin when they were just kids. ‘I can’t believe that thing is still up.’ He thought to himself. He smiled again as his eyes fell to the tire swing that hung from one of the lower branches; he broke his arm on that swing when he was seven years old. That didn’t stop him though; he was back on it the next day, cast and all. As he glanced toward the house and noticed that the wraparound porch had been remodeled, the surrounding banister was no longer the alabaster color it once was. It was now a more orange color aged wood, which matches the new stain on the house as well. The house, he had always loved the house. It was an older house with an open floor plan that was easy to navigate. It was always great for the parties they would throw when his parents went away on vacation. He clanked up to the second floor to what used to be his room and laughed again to himself as he thought of all the times he had climbed out of that window to sneak away at night and go down to the river. ‘That was the good ole days, before the REAL trouble started.’ He thought.

Finally making his was towards the house, anxiety filled him again. What would his mother think about him being there? She had never been one to hold her tongue and he fully expected her wrath for his actions. He knew that he would immediately receive a tight hug and a kiss, but soon after she was sure to start on a rant about his absence. ‘He goes nothing.’ He thought to himself as he stepped onto the porch.

“The house looks good Dad.” Nick said feeling the need to acknowledge the change.

“Thanks we decided to remodel the outside a couple years back. Your mom recently decided to remodel the inside now. She say’s we are still living in the 80’s, but you know me, I am not crazy about change.” His dad replied.

Nick took this chance to poke a little fun at his dad, “So I take it, you aren’t too fond of the new President then?”

“Humph” Mike Carter simply replied. It is long known that Mike Carter was a hard core conservative to the bone, and while Nick considered himself conservative he always loved to play devil’s advocate with his father when it came to politics.

“That’s what I thought.” Nick laughed lightly.

“Well, look at the situation we are in now. I am not sure what exactly happened today, but I can guarantee that it wouldn’t have happened with a Republican in office.” He mumbled as the stepped in to the house.

“Now come on day, you don’t really believe that. I mean look at 9/11, that happened with a Republican in office.” Nick countered.

“Yea, but it was planned while a democrat was.” Mike shot back.

“Well this new guy just got inaugurated a month ago; you can’t possibly believe that, whatever this is was planned in a month, so that would void your point, because a republican was in office before him.”

“Humph.” Mike said again. One thing Mike would not do was admit defeat. He would just mull over it for a few hours and then out of nowhere bring it back up so that he could justify his opinion.

Nick let it go following his father inside. As soon as he stepped foot into the house he knew he was home. The smell of his mom’s cooking filled his nose as he inhaled what he guessed was chicken and dumplings and homemade bread. “Oh that smells so good!” Nick said taking a deep breath, allowing his senses to kick it. His mouth was already watering.

Suddenly he heard his mother’s voice. “You have got to be kidding me; I would know that voice in my sleep.” His mother said as she rounded the corner. “Nickolas Gene, you get over here right now and give you mother a hug.”

Nick obeyed and took a few steps forward meeting his mom and wrapped his arms around her small frame. He kissed her cheek and smiled down at her. She looked the same, with just a few more small wrinkles in the creases of her eyes, her hair was still a striking blond, artificial of course, and she was just a slim as she had always been. “It is good to see you mom.” Nick said as he pulled away from her.

“Look at you, all grown up into a man. I never would have thought….” She said while eyes grazed over his body. “You look great son. I’ve missed you.” She added.

‘Great!’ thought Nick. Here comes the water works.

Tears began flowing down her cheeks. “Six years, since I have seen you. Six years since I have seen my baby. I honestly thought this day wasn’t gonna happen. What brought you back, not that I am not thrilled for you to be here, but why after six years?” she muffled out through the tears.

Nick searched his mind for the right things to say, but they just didn’t come to him. So he just went with instinct. “I am so sorry mom. I was just foolish when I was younger, angry at the world, angry at the situation that I was in, and by the time I realized just how stupid I was being, I was out in Iraq. I promised myself that I was going to make it right, but between two tours in the desert, there wasn’t any time to really make it up to you guys. However, now I can. I was honorable discharged, and I decided that it was time to come back home and make thing right.”

“Oh Nick!” his mother cried harder as she threw his arms around him. “I am so glad you are home. I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too mom, I missed you guys more than I can say.” Nick replied fighting tears from escaping his own eyes.

His mother suddenly stepped back and wiped the tears off of her face. “Now what happened to your head? Let me get a look at it.” She said pulling Nick to sit down at a nearby table.

“I wrecked my car earlier out on 445, it was pretty bad.”

“Goodness how did that happen.” She questioned.

“It was that explosion. I was looking at it and apparently so was the other car, because they crossed into my lane and we hit head on. I guess my car flipped, because when I came to, it was upside down.”

“Oh my, how are the people in the other car.”

Nick simply shook his head ‘no’ implying that they hadn’t made it, without actually having to say it out loud.

“God help them.” She said. “I will be right back, let me go get something to clean you up with.” She added as she turned and walked off.

“What do you think is going on dad?” Nick asked his father.

“I am not sure son, but I know it isn’t good.” Mike replied.

“It looked like the explosion came from New Orleans. Do you think terrorist may have attacked it because of the port?” Nick questioned.

“I don’t know, but I hope that the winds are in our favor for the next couple of days, because fallout from a nuclear bomb can reach hundreds of miles if the wind is in its favor.” His dad answered.

“So you think it was a nuke too?”

“Do you know of anything else that produces that type of smoke cloud?” his father asked.

“No, I don’t. The first thing I thought was that it was a Nuclear Bomb, but why in the world, no who in the world has the ability for attack the U.S. with Nuclear weapons?” Nick asked shaking his head confused.

“Someone does….” Mike answered with fear evident in his voice. “Someone definitely does.”