- Text Size +
12 hours later, I wished my mom goodbye as they put the last pile of dirt over her grave. Mark walked up ,tears streaming down his face, and set a bouquet of roses next to the marble stone carved with his mother's name on it. He kneeled down next to it and continued to cry. I wiped away my tears and walked up to the boy. "Mark, we need to go. Mr. Hageman is leaving. Come on."

Mr. Hageman was the manager of the Jamestown Orphanage here in Jamestown, New York. The police had taken us to him just a few hours after the storm had taken our mother away. He had asked us questions about any extended family, and well; I had to tell the truth. It may seem weird, but all of our family; including our father; had died due to some natural disaster. Some say our family is cursed. Others think it's just a matter of who's there and at what time. In the end, Mr. Hageman had told us that we would have to be put up for adoption.

I took my little brother's hand and led him over to the white Avalon. We took a seat in the back and Mr. Hageman drove us to the orphange, where we would have to stay until someone would take a chance and take us as their own. Oh, how I wished that day would come soon. I also wished Mr. Hagemen would make me and my brother a package deal, so we wouldn't be split apart.

When we got to the orphanage, I picked Mark up into my arms and looked up at the big building standing before me. It was white and had "Jamestown Orphanage" bolded out in big, black letters on the front. Mr. Hageman led us into the building. We followed him into a room that had to be his office.

"Your belongings are upstairs to the left in room 201. You may do as you please around here, except cause trouble. You understand?" I nodded. I knew not to make trouble. Especially with a man like Mr. Hageman. He was buff and seemed somewhat strict, so I knew to stay out of his way and do as I was told. "Can Mark room with me?" I asked quietly. Mr. Hageman nodded his head. "Of course. Now off you go; supper will be in an hour."

I let Mark down and took his hand. I walked out of the office and into the main hall. 'Upstairs to the left. 201'. I went over the route in my mind. I found the stairs and turned left at the top of them. I heard noises of children playing happily as I walked down the hall. Then I saw the number 201. It was right next door to what I guessed was the playroom. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

There was one bed in the far back right corner of the room, next to a window. A little bedside table was next to that. On the other side of the room was a closet and another door. I guessed that was the bathroom. Mark suddenly let go of my hand and opened the closet. "Our s'uff!" He exclaimed. He dove into the blue bag that was his and found his blankie. He wrapped it around his little body as he searched throughout the bag. He pulled out a few pairs of clothes and then stuck his head into the bag in confusion.

"Chrissy, where's everyfing else?" He asked as he turned the bag upside down to see if anything would drop out. "Maybe some of your stuff is in my bag." I grabbed the pink bag and plopped it on the bed. All I found were two sets of clothes and a hairbrush. I sighed. "I think that's all, Mark." He looked at me sadly. I checked the side pockets; just to make sure that that was all. When I opened the right one, I found a little picture. It was of my mom. Mark ran over to the bed and jumped on; wondering what his sister was holding. "Momma!" He said as he pointed at the lady. I nodded my head and looked around for a safe place to keep it. I spotted a drawer under the bedside table and decided to keep it in there. I then noticed something was stuck to the bottom of my bag, and picked it up. I smiled. 'BSB.' I thought. 'I knew you'd follow me here.' I realized it was still sticky from where it had been on my wall, and stuck it up above the bed.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. I looked up and saw an Asian girl standing there. She looked about my age. "Hi! I'm Jaime!" I got up and walked over to her. "I'm Crystal." Mark ran after his sister. "And this is Mark." Jaime scrunched down to Mark's height. "Hey there! And how old are you?" Mark slid behind me, shy. I giggled. "He's not used to meeting new people." Jaime seemed to understand. "Well, I need to get back to the little ones. So I'll see you at supper?" I nodded. "Supper." I waved her off and closed the door. 'She's nice.'
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed the first chapter(: