- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey ya'll! So sorry about the late update but I worked really really hard on this, and, got this turnout, please read and review! Thanks so much!
They could all still hear the soft and depressing music of the organ playing, slowly lurking it’s way all over the graveyard. They were all standing around the grassy space, all eyes look down toward the coffin that was slowly lowering into the shovelled tomb, no one dared to speak a word, hell, no one dared to even move, the only tiny movements that were taking place was the slow comforting hand movements of Nick, gently gliding his hand up and down Leigh-Anna’s arm, bringing her some comfort on this gut-retching day. She was placed firmly underneath his shoulder, her head rested against him as they listened in carefully to the prayer the minister was reciting, before they lowered her mother’s casket into the dirt.

When the time finally came, it wasn’t easy for anyone at all, especially Leigh-Anna, as soon as the casket made one tiny movement, the tears started to increase more rapidly, she tried to squirm out of the suffocating hold that Nick took over her, but it was impossible, he wasn’t letting her get away, no matter how or what she did to try. But yet, she was grateful, grateful that he cared so much to show up here, sit with her through the whole thing, to hold her tighter when the harder parts of the ceremony came along, simply the fact that he never left her side all throughout this whole ordeal spoke so much. Truly touched her hart, and if possible, it made her fall even more in love with him.

“Oh god, Nick I really don’t think I can do this anymore.” She whispered into his chest as they lowered the remaining part of the casket into the ground, the grave diggers just itching to seal the barrier with dirt. Nick wrapped his arms around her back, pulling her even tighter into his chest, gently placing his hand on the back of her thick, soft hair. Tilting his head left, placing a comforting kiss against her temple.

“You’ve made it this far Leigh-Anna, just remember that.” He whispered, his voice still shaky, even the funeral must’ve shook him a little, A.J told her numerous times how much his grandmothers death affected him, there must have been one or two parts of this service that struck a nerve, or maybe it was something else, either way, this wasn’t a very good day at all. The twosome just stood there while everyone else was exiting the graveyard, walking slowly toward their individual cars. Occasionally she peeped open her eyes, some of her immanent family nodding towards Nick, giving them permission for her and him to be alone. For the first time in five excruciatingly painful and emotionally strangling days, she felt safe, planted firmly in his grasp, and the fact that he wouldn’t let her go, made a small, soft smile glide across her face.

“Nick, Leigh-Anna? I think you both better follow me, the family’s meeting at the house for a gathering.” Daniel spoke softly, his red eyes puffed and his voice very soft, so soft they had to strain to hear the man speak. “Nick, you are staying right?”

“He is.” Leigh-Anna answered before he could, he would’ve replied positively, but Leigh-Anna needed his support, in every single way she could get it. She needed it in order to keep her sanity. They started walking slowly out of the graveyard, more tears spilling down her face as the distance grew greater between her and her mother’s grave.

Once inside the Roberts home, everyone was gloomy, in fact, it felt as if everyone had a weight on their shoulders. No one really spoke of Christine, fearing that bringing up a very open wound would spring open a bloodbath of tears and sadness. Most of the smaller kids were taken to a play date at the hotel, all with the exception of Daisy, Cici, and Leigh-Anna, who were all standing around the kitchen, sipping on their drinks, trying to numb the pain, Cici and Leigh-Anna secretly slipping some alcoholic whiskey into their glasses filled with Coke, Leigh-Anna filling hers with a larger amount of the bronze coloured liquid.

“Nick, could you take me somewhere in about an hour, please?” She whispered into his ear, placing a steadying hand on his shoulder.

Nick looked a little puzzled after that. “Uh, sure thing, where though?”

“Anywhere, please Nick, I just want to get away from here.” She said in a hushed tone, her voice breaking with each passing word.

Nick studied her face intently, his face quickly turning to a very dark shade of worry, when the smell of alcohol quickly crept across his nose, the strong scent of the foul smelling liquid creasing from her mouth as she spoke. “Leigh-Anna, have you been drinking?” He asked alertly, in a very hushed tone, as he walked her over to the staircase, sitting her down.

She sighed and set the drink down on the stairway, resting her back against the wooden edge. “Yeah, a little bit.” She admitted. “But this is only my first one. Nothing more after, it was only a quick thing” She eased him, jumping in that particular comment fairly quickly.

Nick sighed and shook his head, it didn’t look like he bought it for one second. “Leigh-Anna, alcohol is never an alternative when something happens like this, trust me okay? I know what I’m talking about. The alcohol doesn’t need you, and you sure as hell don’t need the alcohol. There a lot of better ways to ease you pain.” His voice was soft and tender as he spoke, quickly reaching over the black dress coving her legs, he took the drink into his heads and swiftly went over to the hall bathroom, dumping the coke mixture into the sink. He quickly washed the liquid into the pipes and made his way back over the lost sixteen year old sitting on the stairs.

Leigh-Anna jammed her head against his shoulder, poking her eyes up into his, looking at him pleadingly. “Is this one of them?” She whispered, her voice cracking.

Nick slowly snaked an arm around her waist. “Yes, it is.” He said softly.

They were out there almost half an hour, Nick did not budge one bit, keeping her into his arms as she quietly sobbed into his chest. His eyes went to her hair line when he heard a slight and sad chuckle come from her. “You know, I’m getting tears all over your suit.” She said, there were small drops of tears on Nick’s perfect black tuxedo he was wearing.

“Don’t worry about it.” He stifled a chuckle and rubbed her shoulder, stood up and pulled her to her feet swiftly. “Do you still need to get away?”

She took a deep breath and nodded slightly. “Yes, for a little while. Why, are you leaving now?” She asked quickly, the fearing sneaking up in her voice as she neared the end of her sentence.

“I need to for a couple minutes, I’ll be back to pick you up in a half hour I swear.” He soothed, looking into her eyes, smoothing her hair down to her neck, placing his hands softly onto her smooth creamy skin.

“Okay.” Her voice sounded shaky as she spoke, the un-confidence very clear in her voice. “But please, promise you’ll be back to get me, I need to get away from here, far away.”

He took a jump, he kissed her lips sweetly for the first time in a long times, Leigh-Anna glided her arms around her neck and kissed him back softly, his hands remaining on her hips. “I promise, okay? I’ll be back soon, I promise.” He said, looking into her eyes flamingly, stepping back into the coat room. She nodded as he left, and turned her back, sitting on the stairs once again placing her head in her hands, what was she doing? Asking Nick to take her away from this place while she fully knew he had a girlfriend. But she couldn’t help it, the words just seemed to spill out of her mouth, things were starting to change more and more rapidly and there was nothing they could do to slow things down, she sighed and eased back onto the wall of the stairs, bringing her knees to her chest. Silently praying that this rendezvous would her current tangled life a little smoother, or maybe even more tangled.