- Text Size +
The bright orange glow of the sun filled the room, it was early, 9 in the morning to be exact, and the sun’s rays filled the room, making it seem like one of those movies where the sun fills the room so much, it appears everything’s glowing, but usually, in those types of films, the ending is joyous, but this day, was anything but.

He watched her every move. She intently looked out the huge and long window of her suite, the tears already forming in her eyes, she gripped the white drape, balling the fabric into a tight fist, feeling the need to rip the satin off the rod, to get the frustration out of leaving everyone she loved behind. But, an arm draping around her waist, pulling her back into his chest, taking her into a loving and comforting embrace, made her stop.

“I don’t want to go. Especially after last night.” She whispered, her voice breaking as she spoke, she turned around into Nick’s bare chest and pressed her ear against his chest, snaking her arms against his back, hugging him tighter. Last night, was magic, something they shared that was so filled with every emotion a human could ever feel, the ragged breathing, the way she felt, tasted, loved, everything about her, her body, her soul, he was hooked on, hook, line and sinker.

“I know you don’t. I don’t want it either. But, it’s for the better right now.” He whispered back, breezing his breath into her ear as he buried his face into her neck. “Well, you have about twenty minutes until...well, the thing. Might as well take your mind off things.” He smirked, kissing her full out on her lips. Leigh-Anna let out a soft chuckled, automatically kissing him back, walking him, well, more like pushing him over to the messed up bed, Nick spun her around and placed a firm hand on her back, leading her onto the soft, wrinkled-sheet covered mattress, he draped himself over her luxurious body and kissed her full out, with everything he had, he needed to show her even more how much she meant to him, even to him, he felt last night wasn’t even enough, and he needed to show her how much he was going to miss her. Her leg swung around to his lower back, pressing him against her.

“Come on Leigh-Anna, I know you don’t want to go, but it’s time honey!” Her father called, after knocking on the door. “I’ll be in the car waiting.”

“Shit.” She muttered, when he helped her sit up, Nick took her into another bear hug as he walked her out of the hotel room, into the elevator and out of the hotel, refusing to let the shaking sixteen year old out of his grasp until it was absolutely necessary. They stepped their way toward the small crowd, gathered around the black SUV, filled to the top of the back window with suitcases, her own belongings and who knows what else. His eyes peered down to her face, she smiled a small and lifeless smile as she walked free of his arms grasp. Her heels clicked until she was standing in the middle, her eyes darting; to A.J, her siblings, Brian, Gabriella, Amanda and then to Darcy. She started with Brian and Gabriella, A.J walked over to him, and they both nodded as they rested against the SUV, which was surprisingly cool.

For about fifteen minutes, he watched her bid goodbye to each person, one by one, taking a picture with them each, to preserve one last shred of them each. She first went to Amanda and Darcy, hugging the two dark brunettes tightly, they bawled the usual best friend goodbye lingo, how much they’ll miss each other, what would they do when she was gone? And how they’ll never stay out of touch. Then she hugged Gabriella and said a few words, hugged her once more, embraced Brian for a great length of time, even though they don’t spend a lot of time with one another, they had a...connection of some kind, and it bugged him, underneath it all. Then it was time for the litter kids, she hugged all of them and explained to all of them why she going, Daisy was the hardest, as expected, she clung to Leigh-Anna with everything she had, until Cici had to pry her away from her closets sister. Then it came to the time he never wanted to face ever, and it only made it worse, when she said goodbye to AJ before, leaving him for the final goodbye, the hardest goodbye.

“Take care Leigh-Anna, and, don’t get lost on the campus.” A.J tried to joke, but it only lightened the mood for a nano second, become it came sad and gloomy once again.

“I’ll try not to, I’ll miss you so much A.J , life is going to be hard without you breathing down my neck all the time!”

“Ha-ha, you’ll be alright.” He said, keeping his voice softest, before smashing her head into his chest, hugging his younger cousin tightly. “Take care of yourself kid.” He added, voice finally cracking, this has got to be the first time he had ever seen A.J cry. She pulled away from him and nodded shakily, unable to speak, as she clicked over to him. This wasn’t going to be easy. Not one bit. Everyone in the crowd behind them looked at each other, and nodded all to themselves, walking away, giving them some space, even Daniel walked with them!

“He doesn’t know does he? About last night?”

“I don’t think he has a clue.” He sneered back, couldn’t help resisting a chuckle.

Leigh-Anna chuckled back, but they were both cut short when their eyes locked. “Wow,” she breathed, under her breath. “I never thought I’d have to say goodbye to you. And I never thought it would be this hard.” She added quietly, looking down at her fingers, mingling them through her hands.

“I know.” He agreed, she was going to open her mouth, from what it looked like, she had something very vital to say to him, that was until Leigh-Anna grabbed his face and crashed her lips against his, throwing her arms around his neck, they were like two bears, in a furious nose crash against one another.

“Leigh-Anna, there’s something I need to give you.” He said, pulling away from her lips, seeing her tear moist face, she didn’t speak, he nodded and reached into his pocket, pulling out a thin rectangular box, her glided her a whole one eighty and attached the surfing black beaded necklace onto the back of her neck. She turned around and kissed his lips softly. “You like it?”

“I love it. Thank you.” She thanked, placing the red heart in the middle between her fingers.

“Your very welcome, but Leigh-Anna, to be perfectly honest I seriously don’t know why you’re so attracted to me, because, I’ve put you through hell, every time I said we couldn’t be together, every time I said it’d be so much better if we were apart, every single damn time I convinced myself that this was wrong, that it’d never work, but, I guess what fate wants, fate gets right?” He spilled, looking deep into her eyes.

“So, fate wants us to be apart for who knows how long?” She countered, voice confused and weak.

“I guess it does. For a little while anyway.”

“Lets hope only for a little while...But, Nick, I guess I should get this off my chest before I leave...it’s no question that I love you, and it’s no question that these past few months have taken me on the biggest emotional roller coaster ever in my life, but you know what? If you weren’t there to get me though, I don’t know where I’d be, and I know this may sound scary, but, I’d probably be dead in an alley without you in my life. I love you Nick, and I always will, please don’t forget that, and even though we’re going to be apart for a very long time I just want you to know that I’m always going to be there for you, all you have to do is call and I’ll be there. But I need you to do this one thing for me....please, please, please, don’t forget me.”

Damn, that girl knows how to give a nice little speech. He thought, everything he needed to say she just did. He needed to say something to let her know he would never forget her. Ever.

“Forget you? Leigh-Anna, you’re probably the only person I’ve thought about the most in the past six months, hell, you’re the person I’ve thought about most ever in my life, you honestly think I can forget about you? Baby, you’re in my heart forever, and that’s where you’re going to stay, no matter what the hell is going to happen. You have my word.” He promised, taking her face into his hands and kissing her forehead lightly. Leigh-Anna shut her eyes and clamped her mouth shut, colliding her head into his own chest, Nick put his arms around her again and leaned against the car, rubbing her back, trying to soothe her in a very impossible moment.

“Leigh-Anna, it’s time to go honey.” The soft voice of her father broke their moment, the older man nodded toward him and shut his car door. Leaving the twosome looking at each other, lost in their own thoughts.

“I guess this is goodbye.” She whispered.

“Let’s not think of it as goodbye, let’s just think of it as a....very long vacation.”

“A vacation away from you? Impossible. More like a vacation from hell without you with me.” She smiled lightly.

“Just call it that for me?” He pleaded, she nodded and lightly kissed his lips for the last time, slowly backing away from him and into the car, her tear flow increasing, they crowd all ran over to him as Nick watched the black SUV get smaller and smaller, and the decreasing sixteen year olds crying face was killing him on the inside. He knew what was happening, and it scared the shit out of him, the one and only woman he could ever see himself love, was slipping out of his hands like soap.