- Text Size +
He inhaled deeply, looking deeply at the dark oak door, trying to find the right words to say, the right things to do, and the right movements to make. He took a deep breath and gently pushed the door open after a little knock to let her know someone was coming in. She was sprawled over the bed, lying on her stomach, her face nestled firmly into the pillow. His manly urge won over his brain, causing his eyes to roam her body, the perfect opportunity while she wasn’t looking. With a pair of light blue boy shorts and a black bikini tank top covering her body it was hard to keep his self restraint. Whoa?! Is that a tattoo? HELLO! His eyes grew wide when he saw a red Tinkerbelle tattoo on her very lower back. Making his enthusiasm grow even more.

“Who is it?” She muffled through her the furry neon green pillow, her voice sounding scratchy and cracked, ever likely from crying.

“It’s only me.” He said in a gentle whisper, all the dirty thoughts vanquished when he heard her voice, her head snapped up, Nick walked over to her bed and sat down on the neatly made Blue comforter. Her hair was messed up, strands of black ran like a dried river on her face, that was also read from what looked like, constant crying. “Are you okay?”

She huffed. “Do I look okay?”

He chucked stiffly and looked at her intently. “No, I guess I should’ve known that answer when I asked it, wanna tell me what happened?”

Leigh-Anna looked up at him at found herself, once again lost in his blue attention holders. She found herself nodding, not even knowing why she’s even mumbling to him. “Alright.”

“Okay, why don’t you start off from the top?”

“Well, um, I got a call from my little sister, Daisy, it was about four o’clock in the morning and she told me that my parents were ending everything, of course she was full of fear and panic. I hung up the phone and grabbed A.J and went over to my house. After every one of the younger sibs were gone to bed and fast asleep, my twin sister Cici, Alex and I went in my parent’s bedroom. We found mom weeping on the bed, we asked her over and over again why it happened, we must’ve been in that room an hour.” She explained the first part quietly, bringing a hand up to her face, rubbing her tired eyes.

Nick nodded and placed a hand on her smooth knee cap, her face darted towards his perfect one. “What else happened?”
She looked at him intently. “Why are you so curious about me? We’ve only known each other for what, a grand total of what, four days?”

Nick smirked at her growing agitation toward him, but it was too late now, he wanted to know the truth and how he could help her. “Actually it’s been three and a half days, and the only reason why I want to know is so I can help you, so proceed.”

She drew a deep breath, filled with emotion and annoyance, annoyance toward herself, why was she opening up to Nick? Who she didn’t even know a full week? “Basically, when mother finally started talking, she finally told us what the hell happened to their marriage, and as it turns out.” Leigh-Anna took a moment to gather herself, looking out the window for a moment sucking in another deep breath. “My dad had an affair with one of the nurses, mom said she hated, flung the ring in his face and the rest is sheep skin.”

Nick sighed and rubbed his hand on her knee, the intense tingled surged through her body like an electric shock, there was something about him that made the words roll off her tongue like hard candy. Leigh-Anna let a few tears escape down her face, her couscous was heavy and full. “I feel so guilty, I should’ve been there for my brothers and sisters last night, but no, I was too much of a wimp and a chicken to actually go back to that house. I was always the one who was the most damaged about the problems in their marriage, I was the one who was affected the most and always had to run whenever they did fight, all the others stayed home and listened to their arguments, why couldn’t I?”

She was hysterical now, sniffing and crying, the only crying like this he was used too, was when he was dumping one of his ex-gold diggers. He took his hand and brought it to the bottom of her chin, cupping the bottom of her beige coloured face, her eyes shimmered with fresh tears as she mouth gaped open vaguely, he scooted himself right in front of her and smiled warmly, the expression on his face was pure concern and care. Nick brought his hand up to her cheek and pulled her into his chest, it surprised him how much he wanted to be there for her, and it surprised her how easily she gave into him. “Listen to me, none of this is your fault alright? There’s no way in hell you could’ve known that your parents were going to spilt up before hand, and everyone handles different situations differently, I bet some of your siblings stayed over at other peoples places when you were there.”

“But why couldn’t I stay there, I’m one of the older ones, and therefore I’m supposed to be one of the stronger ones!”

“Even the strongest of us are weak in certain situations, ok? You’re going be okay Leigh-Anna, you really will. You and your siblings got through the worst part, you’ll get through the rest. Ok?” He said gently. Leigh-Anna couldn’t find any words to even tweak out of her mouth, instead just nodding her head in his chest, she couldn’t believe someone could be that kind to her.

When she pulled away, though she didn’t want to, she smiled at him with gratitude. “Nick, can I ask you a question?”

“Sure, anything.”

“Why are you so concerned?”

“I don’t know, all I know is there’s something about you that needs protecting. A hero maybe?”

You can be my hero any day. Leigh-Anna nodded and smiled. “I don’t know why, but there’s something about you that makes me want to stick around.”
She smiled at Nick. He immanently smiled back, they found themselves looking deep into each others eyes, they’re lips not even two inches apart.