- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. Some parts of this story are loosely based around real events that happened in my life but most are completely fictional. All aspects of this story are completely fictional and I do not personally know or have affiliation with any of the Backstreet Boys.
Let me first tell you how it all began. You know when I actually think about it, it seems like just yesterday. But it wasn’t. It was 15 years ago; 15 years and 1 day to be exact. I have decided to tell you my story of how I have come to this day today because yesterday my life changed, just as it did 15 years ago, but this change I didn’t see coming. Not by a long shot. But I couldn’t be happier. When I take you back to that day when I was only a young naive girl, and begin to tell my story, you probably won’t believe me. My past nor my present; and trust me at first I didn’t believe it either. Until I woke up this morning and looked to my left and saw my life sleeping beside me. He’s the image of perfection; literally! Maybe not so much right now; hair pointing every direction, arm hanging off the bed, and the noise he’s making can only be described as a freight train. But he’s still perfect to me – and probably to most of the female population who grew up listening to pop music. You see, the man I woke up beside is a member of one the biggest boy bands in the world (even though they hate being called that). That man is Nick Carter. And he’s not just a boy band member anymore. He’s my husband. I woke up a married woman. But now I’m getting ahead of myself aren’t I?

Lets go back to the begging; I was a mere 9 years old, and Nick Carter was the 12 year old boy who had my heart before he even knew who I was and before there ever was a group we all know so well as the Backstreet Boys. So who am I you ask? I’m probably the last person you would think a Backstreet Boy would ever marry. Well let me tell you, so am I! But the thing is I didn’t marry a Backstreet Boy. I married the man I fell in love with. Probably the only man I’ve ever truly loved; the love of my life. My soul mate. There might be many girls, most likely woman, who also believe that they love my husband, but they’re probably wrong. Because in actuality, it took me a long time to really fall in love with Nick and it took even longer for me to realize that what I felt was love.

You see, I thought I loved Nick Carter was I was only 9, but I soon realized that it wasn’t love at all. It was infatuation. Infatuation for an image of a boy that I admired from afar. I truly believe that many of Nick’s fans confuse admiration with love because let me tell you, when I first met Nick Carter, the real Nick Carter, the last thing on my mind and in my heart was love. It was actually quiet the opposite and I was sadly disappointed with the person I met that day. My image of perfection was put to the test and to this day I still don’t have the answer for what perfection truly is. I guess the whole point to this story is that sometimes the things you least expect in life can end be being the best thing that ever happens to you. Never push away something because you are afraid or even confused. I learned the hard way and almost lost the best thing that has ever happened to me.

So how did I become Mrs. Carter? It all began on May 8, 1991, the annual Preston family picnic in the park. My father, Albert Preston III insisted on throwing the biggest most ridiculous parties you can imagine. The annual picnic was like Fourth of July times ten. This was also the perfect opportunity to dress his lovely little daughter in the best pink frilly dress he could find, much to my dismay. Did I fail to mention I was probably the biggest tom-boy in our town and Daddy would not stand to have his one and only daughter wearing jeans and a baseball cap at his big party. Just to my luck, my mother also had plans for me on this chosen day. She insisted she had found me the perfect boy. Her exact words I believe were “the one”. Little did she know how right she would be one day. But for a 9 year old girl who still thinks boys have cuties, this was not something I really wanted to hear.

I think I can remember every second that pasted by when I first saw him. At the time I don’t think I realized it but right at that moment my life changed forever. When the doorbell rang, I was persistently ushered to the door to “kindly” greet our guests. With a quick touch-up from Mommy Dearest I quickly opened the door and was greeted with the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. At that moment he was the image of perfection in my little girl eyes. But once I realized that I was standing there wearing a stupid pink frilly dress in front of Mr. Perfect I ran as far away as I possibly could. I felt like a stupid little girl to afraid to talk to a boy so for the entire night I hid. But I still I remember every move he made, even though it wasn’t much more than sitting in the corner stuck with some old people, but he did it perfectly. Once he left I was on cloud nine, however my mother and father were quick to bring me back to reality with their disapproval of my disappearance on Daddy’s favorite night. I didn’t hear much of what they said until I heard the words Nick Carter. With full attention I gathered just enough information to learn that my newest source of happiness was closer than I had ever imagined. He was living right next door! And if that wasn’t enough good news for my little ears and eyes, as I rushed up to my room to relive my night in my dreams, I soon realized my night was not yet over. Because before my eyes starring back at me through my open window was none other than Nick Carter himself starring back at me through an open window of his own. And so the story of Nick Carter and Jamie Preston begins. However my fairytale would be far from picture perfect or happily ever after, at least not at the beginning.

As quickly as he appeared, he disappeared even faster. I don’t know if he just didn’t see me or he didn’t want to see me but either way I was left alone to dream about what was to come between Nick and I. It turns out dreaming was all I was going to do because I soon learned Nick Carter was not the Prince I had hoped he was.

The next morning I woke up with the birds hoping I would catch a glimpse of Nick. I waited and waited with no luck and eventually made my way downstairs. That’s when I heard it. Have you ever heard something, a noise or voice that just hits you like brick wall in the face? That’s exactly what happened to me. I knew that voice. It was him, in my house, in my kitchen to be exact and he was laughing. I could listen to him laugh forever; it was music to my ears. But was he doing here? Then I heard who he was talking to, Jimmy, my brother. If I haven’t mentioned him yet it’s because I choose not to talk about him as much as possible. He’s different, that’s all I’ll say for now.

Anyway, this situation was a nightmare. Nick could not become friends with my brother, it just couldn’t happen. But it did. By the time I snapped out of my thoughts they had already made plans to chill at the beach for the day. So what did I do? I walked right in there and invited myself. Another thing I may not have mentioned is that I am far from shy, excluding last night of course, but that was just me being a dumb girl. And at that moment I decided I was not going to be one of those dumb girls who goes gaga over a boy. If I want something I go for it and I wanted Nick. So there I was standing in between Jimmy and Nick telling them I’m coming along. Needless to say this did not go well with my brother and I was immediately lectured on how teenagers DO NOT hang out with little kids, especially girls who are their sisters.

And so they left but I was not giving up that easily. I followed them to the beach and that’s where my fairytale turned into a nightmare. I watched them meet up with a group of other kids and begin to play a game of touch football. I love touch football. So I ran to join them only to be knocked to the ground by one of the guys there. And instead of anyone helping me up they all stood there and laughed at me, including Nick. Brushing it off, I got up, laughed along, and found a spot next to Nick. Have I mentioned how good he looked that day? Just as I was about to finally speak my first words to him, Jimmy grabbed my arm and pulled my away. Now I was mad and I was just about to give him a piece of my mind when the worst possible thing could happen. Gina Grey the Ice Queen and her followers strode by wearing their itty bitty bikinis and flipping their hair in the wind. Gag. Gina was the talk of the town for all the boys and I’ll admit she’s gorgeous but her personality and IQ measure up to a stick. What boys see attractive about that I have no idea but at 13 boys only care about one thing. And Gina had it. Apparently Nick had what Gina wanted too because she zeroed in on him faster than mice find cheese. Now if this chick thought she could take my guy she was sadly mistaken and I was going to let her know it. But the next thing I knew Nick was taking her hand and walking down the beach winking back at they guys as they egged him on. I was crushed. He was so much better than her, I was so much better than her. Why wouldn’t he talk to me? Jimmy wasted no time reminding me that I was not wanted there by anyone and to go home. Defeated I did, but I was determined to show Nick that even I could be what he wanted. So my goal was set. I would be like Gina if that’s what he liked. I would get Nick to like me, just wait and see.

So at 9 years old, I set out to ditch my tom-boy ways. I started wearing skirts and make-up. I was as girly as I could be. I would giggly at his jokes even if I didn’t think they were funny. I would flirt, the best way a 9 year old could. I baked him cookies from my easy-bake oven. I made him pictures with little hearts and flowers. And I made a point of always being around as much as I could. I thought everything was going great until the day I heard Nick and Jimmy talking in the backyard. They were laughing about something and I was about to join them when I realized that something they were laughing at was none other then myself. Jimmy was making fun of Nick, taunting him that a little girl had a crush on him. I think he was forgetting that the little girl he was referring to was his own sister. I didn’t care that Jimmy made a joke out the way I felt but when I heard Nick’s reply my heart was officially broken. He proceeded to tell Jimmy that he thought it was pathetic how I changed so much about myself try to impress him because no matter what I did he would never like a little girl, especially one of his friends’ sisters. And to top it all off he revealed to Jimmy that he and Gina had been seeing each other for over two weeks and he thought he might even love her. So there you have it; that is how Nick Carter broke my heart and destroyed my dream fairytale.

You probably think that’s not so bad. All girls get their heart broken at one time or another. You’d be right. But it wasn’t just that I knew he would never like me. He made of point of being rude and mean to me any chance he had. He turned into a monster. He was just like my brother but worse. And to this day, I still don’t know why, and I probably never will. And that’s okay, but it doesn’t change the fact that everything he did to me hurt. For long time I thought I would never forgive him, actually for a long time I didn’t forgive him.

So there you have it. From the time I was 9 until I was 12, Nick Carter, along with my own brother, made it their personal mission to make my life a living hell. Teasing, taunting, bullying, pranks, whatever you can think of they did it. Oh, and did I mention that once I learned the true feelings of the one and only Mr. Carter I quickly changed back to my old ways. The one thing I can thank Nick for is a lesson he taught me that I still carry with me to this day. Never change who you are to please someone else. Be true to yourself and someone will love and appreciate you just the way you are. If they don’t, they don’t deserve you and they are not worth it. Point being, my true self did not involve acting like a girly girl and a 12 year old tom-boy is usually an easy target for teenage boys.

I had just begun to accept my life of torment when the next big change in my life occurred. Well, maybe not so much a big change for me as it was for Nick but it still had an effect on me, surprisingly. You can probably guess what happened; yep, the time came when Nick Carter officially became a Backstreet Boy. At the time it meant nothing to anyone back home but in a few short years Nick would no longer be the evil boy next door who I used to have a crush on. He would be a worldwide pop star that I used to have a crush on, which really didn’t end up meaning much when there were millions of other girls just like me that also had a crush on him.

I also remember the exact day Nick shared his news with everyone. It was September 2, 1993. He actually came over to tell my brother and I overheard. It was no secret to anyone that Nick had talent and he never missed a moment to shine. So when he finally got his “big break” everyone was stoked. And to top it off, he was leaving tomorrow. If this was such great news then why was I so sad? Why did I run up to my room and cry the whole day? Why was I putting so much effort into crying over someone I hated, someone who made my life so miserable? I should be ecstatic that he was leaving; I would be free of him. I guess I didn’t want to be free of him. After all these years, after everything mean he did to me, even after he broke my heart, I still liked him. For the past 3 years I secretly liked him. So why was I crying? I was crying because I was going to miss him. I really didn’t want him to go. I wanted him to keep picking on me, if it meant he would stay, he could be as mean as he wanted to be. But it didn’t matter how much I cried, he was still leaving. And he did leave. And I never said goodbye. I stayed in my room the whole time. I watched from my window as he walked down his driveway and hugged a bunch of friend’s goodbye; some were crying some weren’t. He got to my brother and took a minute saying something I couldn’t make out and then he got into the car. It slowly backed out of the driveway and it suddenly hit me that this was the last time I would probably ever see him. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and just as the car was about to drive down the road the window rolled down and there he was. Just like the first day I ever saw him, he starred right back at me through the open window. I swear I saw him wink at me and give me that little sideways smirk most people are so familiar of today. He’s had that smile all his life and that moment his smile was all for me. He threw his hand out the window and waved as he drove off; that really was the last time I saw Nick Carter for many years.

I cried for a long time after he left and it took me a while to laugh but eventually I stopped crying all together. And even though I thought about Nick almost every day I went on with my life and got back to being me again. Jimmy and his buddies picked on me less and things were starting to look up for me. Every year that went by I grew up a little more. I started to realize who I really was. I began to shed my tom-boy look little by little on my own terms and because I wanted to, not because I thought it would impress someone. Being girly wasn’t as bad as I thought it was, although you still wouldn’t catch me dead looking like a Barbie doll. But make-up and skirts can make a girl feel great, don’t you think?

Speaking of girly girls, in case your wondering whatever happened to Miss Gina. Her and Nick broke up a couple weeks before he left and when he revealed he was off to become a star she wasted no time cozying back up to him. They were back together for like 3 days and then broke up again. It was on and off until he left. Needless to say it’s still off even though if she had her way she’d be shacked up on his tour bus somewhere in the middle of nowhere. She walks around to this day with her head in the clouds thinking she was his everything. She spent 3 years after Nick left claiming she bagged a Backstreet Boy. Pathetic if you ask me. After high school she apparently went to some community college and the last I checked she was working as waitress back in our old town. Here’s another lesson for you, it really doesn’t matter where you’ve been in life, all that matters is where you are going. If all Gina has to show for herself is having dated at super star before he was famous when they were kids, good for her. Not a personal goal of mine but if it works for her, good on her.

Enough of Ice Queen, let me tell you a little about what I did with my life shall I? Well, like I said before I spent the first 5 years after Nick left discovering who I was and turning myself into who I am today; for the most part. In high school I found my calling; writing, hence my story for you all today. I threw myself into books and school determined that if I was ever going to make something of myself I would dedicate a lot of my time to school. I guess it paid off because I got accepted to Yale for journalism. With early acceptance I was off to college at only 18 years old. On a side note, I also found a passion for photography so much of my extra time was spent creating my portfolio. Once I entered Yale I met another guy. Shocking I know. It was funny, the first thing I thought when I met Joseph was he was nothing like Nick. I couldn’t decide if that was good or not but it turned out to be pretty good I guess. I had dated a boy in high school but in my opinion you can’t really consider those kinds of relationships real, although I have been proven wrong by friends of mine but in my case it was to juvenile to be serious. So it ended after graduation and we went separate ways. Joseph was my first real relationship and it was great. I really loved him and it probably could have lasted if you know who hadn’t showed up and thrown a wrench into my perfect planned out life. I had an education, a boyfriend and I was lined for a really great job; my dream job to be exact. It was a journalism position at one the biggest publishing companies in the United States and to top it off I would be able publish some of my pictures with my work. All of this at only 22. I was right on track and then he happened.

As a part time job to pay the bills I worked at a little coffee shop down the street from my building. Once again, this was a day I will always remember. It was a Friday in March, the 5th. I was just getting ready to close the store at around 10PM when someone walked in. I turned around to tell them we were getting ready to close when I came face to face with Nick Carter, again. Now at this point in his career everyone knew who he was, unless you were living under a rock. It was 2003 and the Backstreet Boys were probably a household name by now. Apparently at this time they were on a “break” and Nick was doing a solo record. It had been almost 10 years since I last saw him; in person anyway. He was only 13 back then but I had kept up with his career enough to know what the infamous Nick Carter looked like, and this was definitely him. At 23 he was still as beautiful as he was when I had a crush on him at 13. I would dare say he was actually gorgeous. But then again that’s why he has so many adoring fans, right? So here we were 10 years later, starring at each other very similar to the way did all those years ago from my bedroom window.

I wouldn’t call it star struck because I always found it hard to see him that way after everything we experienced when we were kids but there is something about him that just paralyzes you. I mean I literally couldn’t move, even when he approached the counter and order a double espresso, mocha latte, decafe. I don’t if I was more shocked that I was hearing his voice and he was speaking to me or that he just ordered the most ironic drink I’ve heard. Isn’t it contradictory to order a fully loaded espresso drink but want it decaffeinated? But this was Nick Carter and I was not about to question his drink of choice. As I was making is order I was contemplating what exactly I should say. “Hey, long time no see”, “Fancy seeing you here”, or just “How’s it going”? I mean this really isn’t rocket science you know. I was running out of time as I handed him his drink and he passed back a credit card. Another side note, why do people insist on using credit to pay for a $2 drink? I mean you really don’t have $2 change? Anyway, it wasn’t until I asked him to sign the receipt and he proceeded to ask what my name was did I realize that he had no idea who I was. He obviously was not paying attention and mistakenly thought I was asking for an autograph. I don’t know who was more embarrassed, him or me when I handed him the receipt and replied with a dumbfounded “huh”? He apologized, signed his receipt, and began to leave the store. I panicked. How can I just let him leave? After all this time he picks my coffee shop to walk into, that can’t just be a coincidence, right? Luckily he did all the work for me; he quickly turned back around before opening the door and asked what is your name anyway, and there it was, that little lopsided smirk. Did he know? No I forgot, he does that for everyone, because he’s Nick Carter. As calmly as I could while shaking like a leaf I replied, Jamie Preston. Equally as calm he relied back, “See ya around Jamie Preston” and with that he left just as quickly as he came. The whole encounter must have only lasted 2 minutes but it felt so much longer in that little coffee shop. He remembered. But how did he know? Did he come here on purpose, was he looking for me, or did I look that familiar to him? Of all the changes I had made and the girls he’s seen in his life I highly doubt he could pick me out of a crowd let alone a random coffee shop. So I was left to wonder. Would he find me again or would it be another 10 years until we would meet again in a grocery store buying bread? It would take 2 more months until I would have that answer.

So where do you think it was that we met again after that night at the coffee shop? Try the scene of the crime. Where it all began 10 years prior. The annual picnic my father still insists on throwing every year. This year my Daddy would be proud because I chose to wear a pink dress all on my own, minus some frills and bows. I was actually looking forward to coming home for a few days. You see the last few months Joseph and I had been having some issues. I had told him about Nick from when we were kids and he was fine with it, assuming it was all in the past, just a school girl crush. But seeing Nick that day brought up feelings I thought were long gone. I loved Joseph, I knew that, but Nick is just intoxicating. I guess unconsciously I had been speaking a bit too much about Nick in front of Joseph and he didn’t like it. I also took the opportunity to research what Nick had been up to lately. Joseph found some files on my computer and that was pretty much the end of things. He was sure my feelings for Nick were stronger than my feelings for him. He probably wasn’t wrong because I realized something after the break up was official. I didn’t cry as much when Joseph left as I did when Nick left. I think somewhere deep down I’ve always kept a place for Nick in my heart. Even at only 9 years old he had my heart. Something like that you don’t deny.

In reality I knew the chances of me ever seeing Nick again were slim to none; regardless my split from Joseph was definitely the right thing to do and it was refreshing to be single again. Going home would be a chance for me to refresh and start over. I was only a few months away from graduating and starting my dream job. Life couldn’t be better. Until I arrived at the picnic and the first thing my mother said to me sounded hauntingly familiar. A very special guest would be joining us tonight, he just got back into town, and I should spend some time with him. She thought he was perfect for me, and even though it didn’t work out with Joseph, he might just be “the one”. My mother always has good intentions but there was something in her eyes when she said this, a mischievous little twinkle that made me nervous. It was all too familiar; it couldn’t actually be him, could it?

All night I was on pins and needles waiting in anticipation to see who this special guest was. I didn’t want to get my hopes up but I just couldn’t help it. The little girl in me was coming back and I just wanted to see him. Of course I had fear that he would just see me as the tom-boy girl that lived next door and would want to tease me again but if he chose to do that he would get a very different reaction this time around. I was not about to let any guy walk all over me again, in any way. But, if he did remember me from the coffee shop, maybe there is hope for more. However I don’t even know if it’s him coming. Before I forget, my brother Jimmy and I have also patched things up over the years. He’s not such a bad guy after all. He just needed to find himself too. And did he ever. I don’t think any of us saw it coming but let’s just say him and his boyfriend Paul are going 4 years strong.

At 6:15PM the doorbell rang. I think my heart nearly beat out of my chest. Mom once again ushered me to the door to greet our guest. I don’t know how I even turned the handle my hands were shaking so much. I was not prepared for who I saw standing behind the door. He had blond hair, he was tall and fit, and I was sure it was Nick. The smile I had was about to jump off my face until the guy turned around and I realized it wasn’t Nick. It was one of my Fathers co-workers’ sons, Robert. He was a CEO at an accounting company in LA. Apparently he was looking to settle down and had a line of girls waiting to be his trophy wife. For all I cared they could all have him. He wasn’t Nick and right then that’s all I could think about. Unfortunately Mom and Dad made sure Robert and I were joined at the hip most of the night until an unlikely source came to my rescue. My brother Jimmy. Apparently he had someone he wanted me to meet and needed to steal me away for a while. I don’t think I’ve ever loved my brother more than I did right then.

He dragged me all the way down to the beach ignoring every question I had as to who we were meeting. At that point I really had had enough surprises for the night and with it nearing 10PM I just wanted the night to end. I saw a group of people standing around a bon fire drinking and laughing and my first thought was how long has this real party been going on for and why wasn’t I invited until now? But all those thoughts quickly pasted as we approached everyone. I was sucked into a sea of old faces and friends from when we were kids. Although I had many tainted memories of the past, all negativity seemed trivial now. We were adults and it was time put the past in the past and move on. I was having a blast socializing when Jimmy pulled me away again. It was time to meet this mystery person. I saw a silhouette standing near the water. Jimmy told me to go talk to him, he was waiting for me. He still would not tell me who it was and I eventually gave up, my curiosity getting the best of me. I had given up all hope of Nick arriving as it was nearing midnight but as approached the person I couldn’t help but think how much he resembled Nick. When he turned around upon hearing me approach, he confirmed my suspicions. He was here. Had he been here the whole time? Why didn’t anyone mention him in conversation? And Jimmy knew. What was going on?

“Jamie Preston, I told you I’d see you around”. That he did. But was I really supposed to believe him?

“I’ve wanted to get in touch with you for a while now” he said. He had? Why?

“Since the boys and I took a break I’ve been doing my solo thing and it’s actually a lot harder than I thought. I guess I just really started to miss the way it used to be and everyone I used to know. That’s when I started thinking about you again”. It was like he could read my mind and answered before I even said anything. But wait a second here. Did he just say he missed me and was thinking about me, again? If I wasn’t already confused I definitely was now. What was he talking about? Was he confusing me with someone else?

“I know we used to pick on you a lot but you know that’s just because we thought of you as one of the guys’ right”? WHAT! No, I did not know that!

“I missed what the group of us had. Besides the guys in the group I really don’t think I’ve ever had friends like you guys. You know I always used to joke with Jimmy that if you weren’t his sister you’d probably have been the perfect girl for me. Hell, you were probably the perfect girl for any guy back then. You were smart, funny, had a mouth like a whip and on top of that you were cute. The fact that you had a crush on me didn’t hurt either”. Are you kidding me? I felt like I had just entered the third dimension. All these years and even back when we were kids and I was head over heals for this guy, he had a crush on me too? I was going to kill Jimmy!

“Don’t get me wrong you still look great, amazing actually. And if you’re anything like Jimmy says I won’t be disappointed”. Okay I had to be blushing. Wait, did he just say he talks to Jimmy? And he’s said good things about me? I definitely loved my brother again.

I stood there trying to process everything he had just told me. Was he saying he wants to be friends? Is he trying to ask me out? Am I completely reading him all wrong? I had so many things going through my head. Ten years were flashing before my eyes and all I kept thinking was, he just called me pretty. After gathering my nerve and figuring out what to say I finally spoke to him for the first time that night. “So what’s the deal with the double espresso, mocha late, decafe”?

With a whole hearted laugh he said, “Why don’t I take you out to get one and I’ll explain it to you then”.

And so on May 23rd, 2003 Nick and I went on our first official date; to a little coffee shop in the town where we both grew up together. We sat and talked for hours about everything you could imagine.

“You know I’ve always had a crush on you but I couldn’t do anything about it because you were Jimmy’s little sister” Nick said. Apparently there is some cardinal rule for guys; the best friend’s the little sister is off limits. Now how is a 9 year old girl supposed to know that?

“I never told anyone this but one of my biggest regrets was never saying goodbye to you when I left. I asked Jimmy where you were and he said you wouldn’t leave your room. I wanted to come up and say goodbye but I didn’t have time to. I think about that day a lot” he revealed. We both agreed that if we could go back and do it all differently we would but decided to put the past in the past and move on.

Nick also disclosed that “there were so many times when I was on the road that I wanted to call you to talk and catch up but I didn’t have your number”. So how did he find me at the coffee shop that day? He had come across an article I had written for a magazine one day and couldn’t get over the fact that the girl he’d always had a crush on had a published article.

“I actually felt proud that someone I knew could be so accomplished, especially you” he said. From that day on he went on a hunt to find me, eventually tracking my name down on campus and found out where I worked.

“You know, it took me 2 weeks to finally work up the nerve to go inside. When I saw you, I knew you were the Jamie Preston from back home. I didn’t think it was fair to ask you out that day because I was leaving again soon to go back on tour so I decided to wait and give Jimmy a call to get your number” he said. Apparently Jimmy was hesitant to give Nick my number because of the cardinal rule and was actually pretty surprised Nick was even interested in me. Instead he came up with a plan of his own. He invited Nick to the annual picnic so he could give him the once over before giving his stamp of approval that Nick could date his little sister. That’s why I didn’t meet Nick until almost midnight; Jimmy was grilling Nick on every aspect of his life from the past 10 years.

Nick also asked about my life and I told him all about my accomplishments and dreams. If you can believe it I was actually feeling afraid and apprehensive about dating Nick. As crazy as it sounds, after all this time I was finally getting to do what I had always dreamed about, but would it really work out? I had already been hurt by him once before and I didn’t want to open myself up again just to be crushed a second time. And on top of that he is a Backstreet Boy for crying out loud. To put it simply, my life and his life don’t exactly mesh.

To confirm my fears Nick proceeded to say, “I’ll be honest, I have to leave again in 2 weeks to finish my solo tour and then the Backstreet Boys are going back in the studio to record our return album. After that it will probably be a whirl wind of promotion and touring again so I can’t guarantee you stability. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to try. I’m tired of bouncing from once failed relationship to the next and the last thing I want is another high profile relationship like my last one with you know who”.

“Nick, I completely understand but I also have goals for my life and I’m not about to give them all up to become a tag-along girlfriend and drop everything at your beck and call at your convenience. I mean you have to understand where I’m coming from too. I was pretty much an independent woman, aside from my commitment to Joseph while it lasted. I like my life right now. I’m not going to change who I am to try and impress you again. I learned the hard way last time, so you need to know that this is going to be a long distance relationship if it’s going to work and even then it’s probably going to be tough” I explained to him. I think he was actually impressed that for once he found a girl that didn’t conform to everything he did and I think he might have even liked the idea of a challenge.

“Sometimes having a girlfriend around all the time gets boring and eventually the relationship would end and I don’t want that to happen again. I want to make this work, I want to make us work” Nick said in a tone I don’t think I’ve ever heard him use before and there was just something in the way he said this that made me want to believe him.

And so after a couple weeks of dating, we found ourselves falling in love. Not just a temporary infatuation; I fell in love with Nick Carter all over again, the real Nick Carter. He did leave again but this time we stayed in touch. I graduated from Yale and got my dream job. Nick recorded the new Backstreet Boys album Never Gone which was later released in 2005 and debuted at the top of the charts.

I had been working at my job for a year and half and Nick and I were still together and going strong. It was at this point in our relationship that Nick informed me that he had just bought a new home in LA and even though he would never pressure me to do something I didn’t want to, he really wanted me to move in with him. He told me to take all the time I needed to decide and if I choose not to, we would work it out. I seriously thought about his offer for a couple months and in May 2005 I packed up my things and moved to LA to be with Nick. Yes, I gave up my dream job which I said I would never do but I really didn’t feel like I was losing anything because I was going to be with the man I loved and that was enough for me. I also continued my love for photography and dabbled with my camera when the boys starting touring for Never Gone. I was having a blast, and yes I went on the tour too even though I said I would never do that either. But it was fun and Nick and I got to be together. I really don’t remember how it all happened but I was somehow given an official photography job taking pictures for the tour. One thing led to another and I ended up publishing a tour book with tons of pictures of the guys and commentary of the tour. It was a huge hit with the fans and management loved it so I am now the official journalist for the Backstreet Boys tours. I absolutely love it. Who wouldn’t love traveling, being with the person they love, and still have their dream job.

But that still leaves the burning question, how did I become Mrs. Nick Carter? Let’s go back to May 2006. Nick and I had been dating for about 3 years now and it was that time of year; the annual picnic back home. Every year Nick came with me and every year the party seemed to get better and better. It’s just so amazing to be able to go back home and be able to relive your past year after year and look forward to what’s waiting for you in the future all in one night. This particular year was extremely special. You see, my father had fallen ill over the years and everyone knew that this year would probably be his last. This years’ annual picnic was like the Fourth of July, Christmas and New Years all on one day with over 300 people in attendance. I think I used over 10 rolls of film in an hour, no joke. Every year we had a huge fireworks display near the end of the night pretty much wrapping up the party. Last year Nick joined the official fireworks crew with my brother and friends taking over Dad’s spot and he loved it. I mean what guy wouldn’t love playing with fire. Us girls, and Paul of course, were on edge till it was over, every one of us holding a cell phone with 911 on speed dial. Luckily we’ve not had to use it yet. This year Nick had me sit right up front for the best view. He said he had a special fireworks display for my Dad and I needed to see it. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever so of course I was right up front awaiting the show. Once it started I was surprised when Nick came to join me. How would help if he was here with me? I didn’t have time to question him because before I knew it he had his arms wrapped around me and was pointing to the sky. I looked up and written across the sky in bright gold fireworks were the words Will You Marry Me? Shocked, speechless, overwhelmed, are only a few of the words I can come up with to describe how I felt. When I looked over at Nick there he was bent down on one knee in front of a crowd of 300 people with a ring box in his hand proclaiming his love for me. He looked me in the eye and grabbed my hand said “I have loved you from the moment I laid eyes on you 14 years ago and I want to love you for the rest of my life. Will you do me the honor of being my wife and making me the happiest man alive”? At that moment the only thing I felt could be summed up into one simple word; love. With no hesitation I happily accepted his proposal, and the gorgeous ring, and kissed him with everything I had in me, much to the crowd’s approval.

And that brings us to today, exactly one year and one day since Nick proposed and one day after we were officially married. After Nick asked me to marry him we both agreed that the only place to get married was at my parents’ house where the annual picnics are always held and what a better time to do it then on the day itself. Unfortunately Daddy did not make it another year and passed almost 6 months ago. Jimmy did the honors of giving me away and cried like a baby the whole time.

Mother and I had a private moment right before the ceremony and she said to me, “I told you he was the one didn’t I”? I was slightly confused considering she did try to convince me Robert was also “the one” almost 5 years ago but before I could even utter those words she replied, “Daddy always had bad taste in boys, like that Robert, but when I heard Jimmy talking to Nick on the phone that day, I knew the timing was right for the two of you to get together. Don’t you forget that Mothers always know what best for their daughters”. And with that she took her seat near the front of the alter to get ready to watch her daughter marry the man who really was “the one”. I always knew my Mom had a secret that night at the picnic 5 years ago, I could see it in her eyes, I just couldn’t prove it until now.

The ceremony was beautiful and at that moment Nick was once again perfect in my eyes. The reception was extravagant, the only way my mother would have. She insisted it was over the top; her only daughter was getting married, Daddy would have wanted it that way, and we were having an annual picnic/wedding party were we not, this is no small party! We of course had the traditional fireworks and Nick once again had a surprise for me. I was once again seated in the front and as the show began Nick made his to me again. He wrapped his arms around me and pointed to the sky; so reminiscent of only one year ago. I watched as my Father’s name lit up the sky followed by all of his favorite fireworks displays combined into one large show. As a tear rolled down my cheek Nick whispered in my ear, “I still owed you this from last year, I love you”. I couldn’t have asked for more.

So here I am today, Mrs. Jamie Carter. I have an amazing husband, a great job and I am living the dream I have had since I was a 9 year old girl and I first laid eyes on Nick Carter. We’ve had our ups and downs and it was a long road to get to where we are today but when I think about everything we’ve been through I wouldn’t change a thing. Nick Carter may not be perfect but he’s perfect to me. Exactly 15 years and one day later Nick Carter is my husband and I love him.
Chapter End Notes:
Please leave a review!