- Text Size +
~*Her Obsession*~

Aeryn didn’t sleep at night. Call it an occupational hazard, but years of graveyard shifts left her sleeping during daylight hours years after she ended her job as a police officer. The nightly absences also ended her short lived marriage. Her ex husband had decided to fill their bed with other woman at night while she was at work protecting the streets he called home. Well, that was one of many reasons. While he committed infidelity in the bedroom, Aeryn was unfaithful in her mind. She had emotionally betrothed herself to only one man in the world, leaving her ex husband with an unknown disadvantage and striving to be perfect in a relationship where he would never succeed.

After the divorce, Aeryn had packed her belongings and her cat, quit her job, and left her swanky Seattle lifestyle for apartment living in Florida. She had been terrified at first, but with the help of her divorce proceeds, she finally found a suitable home right on the shores of Tampa Bay. Aeryn had always wanted to live in Florida, and without the anchor of a husband and career, she flourished in this new city. Finding odd jobs as a photographer, Aeryn supported herself for a few months, but as money ran short, she reluctantly took a desk job as an evidence technician for the local police department. She hadn’t wanted to return to law enforcement, but with her employment history and experience, she was a perfect candidate. Her supervisor allowed her to work the graveyard shifts that she was used to and the pay was comparable to her officer’s wages in Washington, so she lived quite comfortably in her ocean side condo.

Awake for another sleepless night, Aeryn stared into the darkness from her perch at her balcony, her cat weaving between her ankles as it rubbed its affection against her bare calves. The summer night was warm and Aeryn enjoyed the view of twinkling city lights and the feel of the ocean breeze as it played with the long tresses of her brown hair. There was something in the air on this particular night, something that sent butterflies dancing in Aeryn’s chest, but Tampa had a way of doing that to her, placing these indescribable feelings in her heart. She knew it was because he was there – the only man for her – the reason why she had moved to Tampa in the first place. Aeryn had followed her heart to him. He was rarely home, always working and traveling around the world, but something in the air told Aeryn that he was close.

When Aeryn thought of the man that held her attention, she couldn’t stop the warm flush that entered her cheeks. She had tried to convince herself that it was only a stupid crush, that people who looked that perfect and had such wonderful talents would only love others of their caliber. Aeryn didn’t stand a chance to gain his attention, but she was going to try. Not that she wasn’t beautiful or untalented, for she was very attractive, but he was almost like another species in her world. She blinked back the negative thoughts and saw only his sea blue eyes and his perfectly white smile. Thinking back to the one day they had met, Aeryn’s knees went weak at the thought of him greeting her, looking deep into her eyes with such a kindness, that Aeryn knew he could see into her soul. Those eyes made her transparent. When she thought of him, she heard his voice, sweet like the rush of a summer breeze blowing into her heart and lodging itself deep inside her emotions. He had haunted her thoughts for so long, long before she had even met her ex husband. He was in her heart through all the successes and failures, through all the fights, and through all the heartbreak. He was her constant and only companion who now frequented her dreams. Every day when sleep would finally overcome her tired body, Aeryn would see his face, and feel his warm body and soft blonde hair.

During her marriage, guilt had overcome Aeryn whenever he would appear and demand her attention, knowing her thoughts should have been on her husband. Year after year, Aeryn had spent thousands of dollars to catch short glimpses of the man she longed for, money that should have been spent on the mortgage or car payment. Whenever she looked into her ex husband’s green eyes, she couldn’t help to wonder what life would be like if she were looking into blue ones. What would life have been like if she were living in a Florida mansion versus her suburban rambler? She wouldn’t have to work if life were spent with the man she longed after. Work would be traveling the world, and Aeryn longed to be a part of that lifestyle if only she could be with him.

With a determined sigh, Aeryn stepped away from the edge of her balcony and into her luxurious condo. Once last glance in the mirror self-proclaimed Aeryn as looking acceptable, and maybe even sexy. She had spent hours creating sultry blue eyes and luscious lips to top off her maybe-just-a-little-revealing little black dress. The neckline dipped far below the natural part of her bosom, but it wasn’t heaving, so she pulled it off with class. Grabbing her purse and keys, Aeryn prepared herself for another sleepless night out.

**********************************************************

Gripping the stem of the martini glass, Aeryn swirled her drink and watched the olive twirl around the circular rim. She rested her elbows on the bar, watching the bartender scuttle back and forth to complete orders, every now and again glancing behind her to see if her girlfriends were still on the dance floor. They had easily found men to buy them drinks and lead to the dance floor, preying on their gullibility and loose wallets. Aeryn had made a vow to herself that her life would only be complete with one special man in her life, and politely refused many offers of drinks and dancing. She was saving herself for him.

Her friends thought she was certifiable. Saving herself for a man who she hadn’t even met? Well, she had met him…once…if that even counted. Like she had learned in her marriage, it wasn’t fair to any man to sit second fiddle to her emotions when they were obviously fixed on another.

The music around Aeryn was loud and thumping, and drowned out any chances of a conversation, so she sat alone. Aeryn didn’t mind being alone, in fact, she thrived on it. Never feeling awkward about being alone in a crowd, going to a movie by herself, or even asking for a table for one, she longed for her alone time. She was her best company, wishing for only one other person to truly occupy her time. As the bartender placed another martini in front of Aeryn, she smiled a thanks to him, and began to contemplate the “what ifs?”. What if her man never found her? What if they never had the chance she wanted? Would she live a life in solitude? What would she do? Pushing negative thoughts aside, Aeryn told herself that this man would be hers. She would find him at all costs and attempt to contest for his affection. Lord even knew how many other women were trying to be his one and only.

Aeryn turned toward the dance floor, flashing a smile at her friends who were attempting to wave her over. With a polite shake of her head, Aeryn refused the invitation; she was a few martinis away from joining the girls. Though the club was relatively small and remote, Aeryn didn’t make a point of humiliating herself while she was sober. With a quick glance toward the bar’s entrance, she made note of the male customers entering the building. She was about to turn back to her martini, when a flash of blonde hair caught her attention. Aeryn didn’t want to stare, but couldn’t make out the owner of the yellow locks, he was surrounded by the others who were entering the club. Aeryn picked up her martini, and inconspicuously leaned her back against the bar, facing the dance floor and pretending to be amused by her friends. In reality, she was trying to get a better look.

The lighting in the club was awful, but Aeryn could simply tell by the way he held himself, his mannerisms, and the way he walked, that her obsession had found her. If only she could see his face or hear his voice, just to be sure…. Like a scene from a sappy romance movie, the gyrating bodies on the dance floor parted like the red sea and the lights shined like a spotlight on his god-like face. There were no doubts now. Aeryn knew it was him, and her heart was immediately in her throat, beating into her brain. She couldn’t help but stare at his magnificent body and handsome looks, this was the love of her life, and she was not going to give up the chance of him knowing so.

Attempting to calm her heartbeat, push the butterflies aside, and standardize her breathing, Aeryn gathered the courage to approach her dream man, but was stopped when he looked at her. Well, maybe he wasn’t looking at her, but was looking in her general direction. She tried to avoid his gaze, but their eyes locked – sea blue against deep blue. Mentally yelling at herself not to act stupid, Aeryn conjured a friendly smile in the man’s direction and…he smiled back?! Aeryn controlled her excitement as the man who defined perfect returned her smile. There was no way she would be able to approach him now, her legs were weak with a swoon, just like they had threatened the first time his eyes had looked into hers those many years ago.

Their eyes remained locked as the tall man began his trek across the dance floor to the bar. Aeryn could no longer hear the thunderous music in the bar, but every step this man took toward her seemed to thump in her ears, and her vision tunneled only on his form drawing nearer. Surprisingly, Aeryn found the peace in her brain and maintained a proud level of cool. She refused to freak out even through the man of her dreams, the man she had loved for over half her life, the man she longed for, was walking right toward her in all of his perfect and handsome glory. In slow motion, the occupants of the crowded club seemed to disappear, one by one, with each graceful step the man took, their eyes locked on one another.

Smoothing her dress, Aeryn prepared for the gorgeous man’s approach. She glanced down to place her martini on the bar, and when she looked back up, he was there. Her breath caught in her throat as blue met blue once again. Aeryn melted as his glorious cologne wafted into her nostrils.

“Hey,” he said, his voice like a whisper in the loud club.

Aeryn managed to say hello, but she was still hung on his voice. The voice. The angelic tones of a voice that had been with her for years, soothed her pain and sadness with a push of a button.

“Can I buy you another?” His hand grazed hers as he motioned toward her martini glass.

Aeryn felt fire on the back of her hand and an electric shock jolted up her arm. His one simple touch had almost caused cardiac arrest. Talking suddenly became a chore, so she simply nodded with a grateful smile. Vowing to herself not to ruin this once in a lifetime chance, Aeryn forced herself to act normal and use her voice. Gracefully extending her hand in a feminine fashion, she said, “I’m Aeryn,” introducing herself to the man who needed no introduction.

With a flashy white smile that could melt glaciers, his large warm hand covered her petite fingers. Aeryn felt his warmth travel through her palm, up her arm, into her shoulder, melting her heart and rendering the rest of her body useless. Yep, get the defibrillator. She was definitely having a heart attack this time.

At that very instant, Aeryn knew this was the moment she had waited for – lived for – and it was her one chance to prove to this man that she was worthy – worthy of his affections and attention. That she was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, well, at least a good chunk of it. The electricity Aeryn felt through his handshake confirmed her belief that God had placed this man on the earth for her, that they were meant for one another, and she just had to show him, but she silenced her thoughts as his god-like voice spoke again.

“It’s nice to meet you.” His hand lingered on hers for a moment, purposefully lengthening the touch of skin against skin. “I’m Nick.”

The End
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Please let me know what you think and review!!