- Text Size +
Where’s Nick?
Part 3.

Brian could swear he heard a noise coming from Nick’s room, a sort of low chatter. Yet as he walked past the room, the chatter seemed to disappear.
Wow that’s odd, Brian thought to himself, I could swear I heard Nick talking to someone a minute ago. Brian and the others had finally accepted to calling this new guy Nick. Even though they felt very uncomfortable with it they thought it may heed to any unneeded tension.
Even though the new Nick, looked and sounded like the old Nick, there was still something not right. Something that Brian couldn’t quite put his finger on.
“Nicky?” Brian asked, tapping lightly on his younger friend’s door. There was a muffle of noises as the new Nick tried to recompose himself to answer the door.
“Who’s there?” Nick’s voice barked, it was a tone of voice that the old Nick would have never used. Brian was taken aback.
“It’s me Brian,” Brian replied as he leaned closer to the door. “Are you ok in there?”
“Yeah, I’m fine!” Nick’s voice barked back. “Just a bit busy, come back later ok?”
Brian sighed, this was not how the old Nick would have acted. “Okay then,” he replied and began to walk away, but just as he did so the chatter started again. It was as if the new Nick had something up his sleeve, something he did not want the others to hear. Brian wondered what it could be as he slowly made his way back down the hall to his room.

“Have you guys noticed how odd Nick’s been acting lately?” Kevin asked walking into the kitchen the following day.
“Yeah,” Brian replied, “Yesterday I went up to his room and he was chattering on the phone and when I walked past he stopped talking and barked at me to leave him alone.”
“That’s not like Nick,” Kevin said nodding in agreement.
“You guys are just hallucinating,” AJ said, as he picked up an apple and began to eat it.
“That THING up there is not Nick,” Howie said rather suddenly and the other guys looked at him.
“D man, just lay off him. I’m sure Nick’s just not feeling himself,” AJ snapped and threw the remainder of his apple into the trash.
“Yeah D, what’s up? You’ve been acting so unfriendly towards Nicky,” Brian agreed but Howie shook his head.
“Yeah, but that is not Nick. I’m sure of it, I wouldn’t be like this if it were,” Howie replied, he was sure to get the others to agree.
“You know,” Kevin began nodding. “I mean it is a bit odd the way Nick has been acting, we should at least consider it.”
“Consider what?” AJ asked, “There is nothing to consider, that is our brother. End of story.” He nodded adamantly and then stormed out to go find Nick.
Kevin shook his head, “I still think we should take into consideration the way Nicky has been acting lately.”
“Yeah man,” Brian agreed. “I’m still baffled at the way he talked to me, that’s just not Nick.”
“You’re right rok. Nicky would never talk to you like that,” Howie said, still a bit bitter. Kevin and Brian looked at him.
“So what do we do?” Brian asked, “Coz we even have to get Bone to see it.”
Kevin nodded slowly, “Yeah don’t worry about that, he’ll come around. I don’t know what to say about Nicky, but we got to do something…” He stopped and both Brian and Howie looked in the direction Kevin had, the new Nick had just walked in.
“Hey guys,” he said with a smile, “What’s up? What’s going on with Bone?”
The three men shrugged. “I don’t know,” Brian lied, “Anyways let get a move on or we’ll be late.” He got up and walked out of the room.
“Yeah rok, wait for us,” Kevin replied and he and Howie followed him. As the three of them left the room they did not notice the evil smile that was planted on Nick’s lips, he was in at last.