- Text Size +
Later on that day, Alex and I were cuddling on one of the patio chairs.

"I love you Meggie."

I looked up at him and smiled. "I love you Alex."

Kat came running up with Nick not far behind her.

"You guys wanna play?" Kat asked, Nick holding the basketball.

Alex looked down at me and I nodded. "Sure. You two against us?" He asked.

"Yep. This is gonna be easy!" Nick laughed, "I am so much better at b-ball than you!"

Alex smacked him on the head, "Obviously you've never seen Meggie play. She can even give Brian a run for his money."

Hearing that made Nick nervous, and it made him step his game up.



When I scored another basket, Nick screamed.

"YOU ARE SO CHEATING!"

"I AM NOT!" I laughed at him.

"Yes you are Megan. You have to be!"

Alex laughed at Nick, "No Nick. She's just that good."

"Ok.. next basket wins?"

I looked at him and smiled, "You're on!"

Alex and I put our all into our next play. When Nick got close to me, I stole the ball and shot. It bounced off the backboard, and went in. I was so excited, I whipped around not realizing Alex was so close. I ran into him, and our legs got twisted. We both fell to the ground, myself on top. I couldn't help but smile and lean down to kiss him.

Our small kiss quickly turned into making out. Nick and Kat decided to leave us there, making out on the driveway. After what seemed like only a few seconds, we heard someone clear their throat.

When I looked up, I saw Andrew.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

He walked closer to me and grabbed me by my hair, throwing me back onto the ground. "You little bitch."

I screamed and begged, "What did I do?"

At the same time, Alex had jumped up to defend me, when Andrew pulled a gun. When I stood back up, I saw a gun pressed to Alex's head. I was scared to death. I didn't know what to do. All I knew was I'd do anything to make sure he was ok.

"Andrew! PLEASE DON'T! What do you want? I'll do anything! PLEASE..don't hurt him." I begged him between sobs.

"Anything?" He asked, then grinned evily. "Hmm. I can think of a few things. here's what you're going to do. You're going to go in there and get Kat. I know she's here, her car's here. Then, you're gonna bring her out here. And you two are coming with me."

I looked at Alex, then back to him. "Ok."

"And don't try anything. Or he WILL die. Understand?"

I nodded, and turned to go inside.

"Meggie, don't!"

I looked back at Alex. "I have to. If it means you'll be alright, I have no choice."

When I got back inside, I found everyone and told them.

"We can't let you go!" My mom said. "You're not going!"

"I have to." I said softly, "he's out there now. With a gun to Alex's head."

My dad looked at me, "Ok. Here's what we're going to do. You two are going to walk out there with him..and I'll be watching from the attic window. When he lets go of Alex, and I have a clear shot.. I'll take care of it. Give me 60 seconds to get upstairs, and load my gun."

I nodded, then counted. I walked out the door as I said 60. Kat was right behind me. We were both scared to death. But, to be honest, I was more scared for Alex. I couldn't live without him. If Andrew killed him, he may as well kill me too.

When he saw us, he lowered the gun. "Good. You two are very smart... Too bad you weren't smart enough."

With that I saw him raise the gun again at Alex. Knowing what he was going to do, I jumped in front of Alex, catching the bullet in myleft shoulder.

When the bullet hit me. All I could see was Alex making love to me. Followed by the biggest pain I've ever experienced. I heard another gun shot seconds after I hit the ground. When I looked back up, I saw Andrew on the ground.

Alex pulled me up in his lap and kissed my forehead. "Oh baby girl, why'd you do that?!"

I whimpered as he held me. "Alex?"

"Meggie, hold on you'll be fine. It's just your shoulder. You'll be fine baby."

"Alex, I-I love you."

"I love you too baby." He said, tears forming in his eyes.

I heard the rest run to me, crying. Asking if I was alright, and what I was thinking.

It seemed like hours before the police and ambulance got there. As soon as I was on the stretcher, my entire left arm went numb. I couldn't feel anything, even pain, from my shoulder all the way to my fingertips.

When they loaded me into the ambulance, Alex had tried to get on with me.

"I'm sorry sir, but we can't have passengers." The paramedic said.

But, I wouldn't have it. So, I made a scene. "NO! ALEX! LET HIM ON HERE! I WON'T GO ALONE!"

The paramedic looked at me and saw my fear, he showed a small smile, and nodded. "Ok. You can ride. But, please..don't let anyone know."

When Alex got in, he sat down and took my right hand. "Baby, you're gonna be fine. You know that right? The medics already told me you'd be fine.You'll just have pai for a while."

He kissed my lips, and brushed my tears away. "I love you. I can't believe you did that."

"Why not? Baby, I-"

Suddenly, everything started to become blurry. I was losing conciousness. I struggled to speak, "Al-Alex..I can't..everythings so-so blurry."

"Sir? What's happening to her? Is she alright?"

"She must've lost more blood than we speculated. If we don't get a match for her blood type, she..." He trailed off.

"Oh my God." Alex whispered. "No." He shook his head and looked back down at me. "Baby, can you hear me."

I could hear him. But, I couldn't see him. Or answer him.