- Text Size +
Two hours later, we were in a hotel suite, had our little girl finally settled and were ready to get some rest. Alex decided to get a quick shower before bed, while I went to our window and looked outside at the view. Looking out I saw all the lights of the city, the cars driving by, and a few people rushing down the sidewalks. Every woman I saw, I couldn’t help but panic for a second, thinking she could be who wanted our baby and my husband.

I was so consumed in m own little world, I didn’t hear Alex walk up behind me. I jumped when he wrapped his arms around me.

“Baby, it’s just me.” He whispered as he ran his hand through my hair.

“I know. I love you Alex.” I hugged him back and let him lead me to our bed.

After lying down, Alex cuddled up next to me, bringing the blankets over both of us, and wrapping his arm around me. He kissed my lips softly, and softly sang one of my favorite songs to me.

When this whole world gets to crazy
And there’s no where left to run
I know you’ll give me sanctuary
You’re the only truth I know
You’re the road back home
Can you see me, here I am
Standing here, where I’ve always been
And when words are not enough
I climb inside your heart and still find
You’re my safest place to hide

“Alex. Who do you think it is?”

“I honestly don’t know baby girl. I can’t imagine any girl I’ve known who would do this. Even the worst of my ex’s.”

“Do you think whoever it is will succeed?”

“No.” He tightened his grip around me, “With the police, our security system, and with Marcus, I know she won’t.”

“I just really wish I knew who it was. I was looking outside and every woman I saw I thought was her.” I paused for a second, Alex?

“Yeah baby?”

“You don’t think she was watching when the police were there and followed us do you?”

He layed there silent, “I never thought of that.”

“I really don’t know if I can sleep without knowing who it is and where she is. If she was crazy enough to cover our yard with broken glass, who knows what else she’s capable of.”

“I think we’re fine right now. I’m sure they have officers outside our room, and even patrolling outside. The best we can do is rest for now.”

“Should we call our family and the guys and tell them the party is off tomorrow? And warn them to be cautious?”

“Yeah, I forgot. I’ll call Mom, Brian, and Howie. Can you call your parents, Nick and Kat, and Kevin?”

“Yeah.”

We made our phone calls, at 4 am, letting them all know how serious the matter was. After getting off the phone and assuring them all that we were all fine, we decided to attempt sleep once again. Finally, after restlessness that seemed to never let up, I fell asleep around 5:30.


When the sun came up, and Britney cried, I was awake for good. Alex assured me that he could get her and to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t when I saw him sit back in bed holding that beautiful little girl.

“Can you say good morning to mommy?” He said as he waved Brit’s tiny hand for her.

“Dada.”

Alex and I looked at each other in disbelief. Did she actually say dada?

“What was that baby? Can you say it again?” I said to her as I took her from Alex and held her up on her feet.

“Did she say dada?” Alex asked me.

“I think so. It figures she’d say dada before mommy!” I joked with him.

“That’s cause she loves me the bestest.”

I laughed at him, “First, there word bestest doesn’t exist. And second…I just can’t believe she spoke. I was never sure what age was normal for talking.”

“M-mama.” She said again, pointing at me as she said it.

“Oh my God Alex! She said mama!” I hugged her, kissed her cheek, and sat her on the floor to play with her teddy bed, while I found her clothes for the day.

While I showered and dressed, Alex played with Britney, and spent some time on the phone with the police.

As I walked out of the bathroom, Alex told me the police were sending a car to take us to the station, for a lineup to see if we recognized anyone. They had arrested a girl last night they had caught loitering in our neighborhood.

I agreed to go, but only if we didn’t have to take Britney with us. I didn’t want her spending her first birthday in a police station. So we arranged for the car to stop at Kat and Nick’s so they could babysit.

After arriving at Kat and Nick’s we knocked on the door, but never received an answer. After a few more minutes of waiting we knocked again. When we still weren’t answered, I pulled my spare key out of my purse and let us in.

When we walked in, it was clear whoever was at our house last night was at their house today, maybe even still here. Alex walked me back outside, not allowing me in, especially with Britney. He, and the police officer went back inside to search around.


~AJS POV~

We walked inside and everything was a mess. There were DVD’s and CD’s tossed across the room, furniture turned over, and picture frames broken and all over the place.

“Nick!? Kat!?” I screamed, trying to find them in the mess.

When I reached the stairs, the officer stopped me.

“Sir, have you ever fired a gun before?”

“Yes, once a long time ago. Why?”

“I can’t allow you to go any further without one. I already called for backup, and really I shouldn’t allow you to be in here. But, I suppose if I tell you to leave you’ll fight me.”

“You assume correct.”

The officer handed me a gun, and I continued up the stairs. I looked around and saw more of their belongings tossed around carelessly.

“Nick!? Kat!?”

I heard a muffled sound coming from the spare bedroom in the back. When I opened the door, I saw Nick on his phone kneeling next to Kat.

“Oh my God Nick! What happened?”

“Oh thank god, is the ambulance here yet?!”

“No, we saw the house and got scared. What happened?”

“This crazy bitch came in here with a gun and said if we didn’t tell her where you guys were she’d kill Kat. Kat tried to get away, but she shot her.”

“Who was it? Did you get a look at her?” The policeman said.

“No. But her voice was so familiar.”

~MEGANS POV~


I saw an ambulance pull up, as well as 3 more police cars. I got scared and called Alex’s cell trying to get information. He didn’t answer it, but a few seconds later he walked out and hugged me tightly.

“Alex? What’s going on?”

“Kat. She was shot.”

“By who?!”

“Her. She told them to tell her where we were or she’d kill Kat. Kat tried to get away, so she shot her.”

“Is she ok?”

“I think so. But, I’m not sure.”

With all the commotion going on, something made me look to the side of the house, where a girl wearing a black sweatshirt with her hood up dropped something and began to run.

“Officers there she is!” I screamed, watching four policemen take off after her.

Alex and I walked to the side of the house where she was hiding, and found the gun she had used, and looked back to see Kat being loaded into the ambulance.