- Text Size +
Denise walked in first. I trailed behind her, walking slowly. He was awake, but you could tell by the way he turned to his mother, that he was very weak.

"Hi mommy." He softly said.

Denise chuckled slightly, "Hi baby boy. How you feel?"

She sat down on the edge of his bed and took his hand. I stayed by the door, he hadn't noticed me yet and I didn't want to get in the way.

"I'm alright. I've been having these little pains the past few days, I thought they'd go away."

"Why didn't you tell anyone?"

Alex shrugged. "I honestly didn't think it was a big deal."

Denise shook her head at her son. Then she turned her head to me. "Honey, why are you all the way over there?"

I slowly walked toward the bed, avoiding eye contact with Alex completly. "I didn't want to get in your way." I said softly.

"Nonsense Megan. You are never in the way. You're practically my daughter." She held out her hand and I took it.

I glanced at Alex and noticed him watching me. When my eyes met his, he studied my face.

"Mom?"

"Yes Alex?"

"Can I talk to Megs alone?"

"Sure sweetie. I'll go tell everyone you're fine."

After she closed the door, I felt my heart practically beat out of my chest. I was trying to think of what to say. So, I chose to lie.

"Megs?"

I sat on the bed next to him. "Yeah?"

"I-I heard you today..in the hallway. I heard what you said to Maria."

"Alex, that..that was just the first thing I thought to say. I meant it like my best friend. Ya know? I love you because you're my best friend."

I could sense he knew I was lying to him. "Meggie?" He whispered.

I put my head down to try and hide the tears forming in my eyes. He lifted my chin up with his hand, and saw my tears.

"Alex.."

He whisered softly, "Meggie?"

I looked deep in his eyes and felt my heart flutter. I was in love with him. Deeply in love with him. I couldn't bear to lose my best friend. I couldn't tell him the truth. So what did I do? I told him I had to go, got up, and left.

When I got to the door, I paused when I heard him call out my name. But, without looking back, I opened the door, and left.

I got all the way to the parking lot before anyone caught up to me. It was Kat. By the time she got to me, I was sitting on the sidewalk, crying.

"Megan? What was that?"

I looked at her as she sat next to me to comfort me. "Kat..I can't. He heard what I said. He asked me about it. I lied and left."

"Do you think he feels the same way?"

I shook my head. "I doubt it."

"Why? You never know. What if he has the exact same feelings as you. And what if he's just too scared to tell you?"

I started to talk when I heard Denise.

"Megan?!"

I looked behind me and saw her, so I stood up and wiped my face.

"Honey, are you ok? What happened? Did you and Alex have a fight?"

"No. We didn't." I said.

"Well then what happened? I saw you leave so soon, so Nick and I went in his room. He's..Megan, Alex is crying..he never lets anyone see him cry."

I looked up at Denise, and she knew.

"Oh my God Megan...Finally!" She hugged me tight as she let out her excitement.

Whe we pulled back, I asked, "Finally what?"

"Don't try and hide it Megan. I know what's wrong. You're in love with my son."

"Denise. I.."

"Did you tell him?"

I put my head down and quietly said, "He heard me say it earlier. I lied."

Denise wrapped her arm around me and walked me to the bench. "Aww. Sweetie. Go talk to him."

I shook my head frantically, "I can't. I can't do this."

Before anyone could stop me, I got up and ran. I ran to the nearest bus stop, and luckily caught one immediatly. On the way back to my house, all I could do was sob while thinking of memories I've made with Alex.

I started to laugh out loud a little when I remembered the time he wanted to make his mom a birthday cake. We were about 15. He made it at my house so his mom wouldn't see. He thought wearing a chef's hat would be cute. I have to admit it was. He decided to make her a german chocolate cake, and thought I could help him decorate it.

Of course, when the cake was done, and we were decorating it. We messed up. I accidently hit his arm while he was writing with the icing. Then, he tried to redo it. Well, I didn't realize how close he was..and somehow when I moved, my foot got twisted in between his legs and I fell..then he fell on me. And, as if this was a scene out of a movie, the cake fell..on top of us.

We were covered in chocolate cake and diferent colored incings. My parents heard our laughter and came in to see us. And, just like every other moment of my life, there were pictures to remember it.



By the time I got home, I looked at my cell. I had 12 missed calls from Kat, Denise, Nick, my parents, and Alex. I settled myself on the couch with a blanket, and cried myself to sleep.

I woke up some time later to the sound of the front door closing. I opened my eyes and saw everyone in front of me. Including Alex. The doctor said he could be released if he promised to rest for the next few days.

I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes. I looked at everyone, then decided to go into the kitchen to get a drink. I wasn't ready to talk to anyone. Especially Alex. But, I knew what was going to happen. Once I got my drink, I'd turn around and see Alex.

I walked over to the fridge and got a Dr. Pepper. When I closed the door, I turned around and was met by Alex. Told you.