- Text Size +
CHAPTER 10
“You’re gonna loose the game Kevin.”
“Just hush Rachel.”
“I’m tellin’ ya, you don’t play poker. It’s okay, trust me hon’.”
“Annie, please explain to dear Rachel just…”
“Honey, you’re good at lots of things. This just ain’t one of them.” Kevin threw his hand down and glared at Annie. “It’s the truth sugar.”
“Okay, Howie, you wanna finish this hand?”
“Actually, let’s just end it. I personally don’t feel like playin’ anymore,” Annie said, throwing her hand down as well.
“Than be careful if you go out Annie,” I warned her. I smiled as she slipped her hand through Kevin’s arm.
“Do you dance?” Annie glanced at Kevin and shook her head.
“Sometimes. If the partner was right.”
“I have a confession.” Annie stepped outside and pulled the shawl tighter around her shoulders.
“What’s on your mind sugar?”
“I over heard you talkin’ to the other ladies. Talkin’ about your family.”
“Do you make it a point to listen to other people’s conversation?”
“Not usually. I swear I was goin’ to tell you…”
“What do you want Kevin?”
“To offer you somethin’ better.” Annie laughed and turned to face him.
“There is nothin’ better Kevin. This is my life. The only thing I know how to do.”
“You’re a lady damn it.”
“Not in this age. And what could you offer that’s better?”
“Come back with me. I can offer you a job.”
“As what, your personal whore?”
“No.”
“Bull shit Kevin. You call me a lady yet you treat me no better than a whore. You think I lack the smarts to do better. I don’t. But I know as a woman, there is nothin’ in this world I can do to support myself and my family.”
“Be a wife.”
“Ahh, yes, and the offers are just pourin’ in, right? You know, enjoy your walk.”
“Annie…”
“Thanks for the offer, but I won’t do it.” With that, she let herself back into the hotel.

“You know somethin’ Annie.” I sat down next to Annie on the couch and reached for the whiskey bottle she was currently holding.
“Mary wanted to seduce the men to get the information we wanted.” I took a swig of the drink.
“Great.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“Mary can’t be found. Christina and Jane’s doors are closed.”
“Great.”
“You talk to Kevin?”
“Yeah.”
“About what?” She took the bottle and took another drink.
“Wanted to see me do somethin’ more. So than he offered me a job doin’ somethin’ or other.” She hiccupped and chuckled. “Treated me nothin’ better than a whore. Guess that’s what I’ll be. Can’t change my life.” I shook my head, understanding her pain. “You talked to Howie?”
“Not since Ringo came here. Annie, I don’t know what’s goin’ on.”
“No one does love. Look, go catch yourself some sleep. I’ll be fine.”
“Night Annie.”
“Night Rachel darlin’.” She stared at the small fire and finally dared to close her eyes.

“Rachel we have to talk.” I put my book down and nodded to the chair across from me.
“Yes Wyatt?”
“Has Johnny talked to you?”
“Why would he?”
“Because trouble is really brewin’ between the law and them.”
“Now Wyatt, you’re askin’ me to do somethin’ I don’t do.”
“I’m askin’ as a lawman for your help.”
“Piss on the law Wyatt. The law stole my life away. The law stole my husband.”
“Your husband died…”
“My husband was murdered. There’s a great deal of difference!”
“Rachel…”
“Pat was a wonderful man, Wyatt. You knew him. But he messed up, accordin’ to the man, the President. But my Pat wasn’t like that. So, the Man, sent his marshals to do away with him, with the man I loved. They never told you that did they?”
“No ma’am.”
“To save your sorry ass, I would tell you. But not for the law, never for the law.”

“Annie…” Annie turned around and smiled.
“Well, if it ain’t Curly Bill.”
“We need to talk.”
“About what?”
“Come with me.” He grabbed her upper arm and pulled her to nearest corner. “You happen to know who’s stayin’ in your hotel?”
“The gang?”
“Not just any gang Annie. They’re United States Marshals.”