- Text Size +
CHAPTER 14
Jane looked out the window, watching the dirt road, seeing nothing walking down it.
“I hate waitin’.”
“Mary, sit down. You’re makin’ us nervous.”
“There’s nothin’ to be nervous about. If we’re meant to die, we’re dyin’ together. I ain’t ashamed to die with friends or for what I did damn it.” My eyes blazed and I opened the door, clutching the handle. “Damn.”
“Rachel, what’s wrong?” I leaned against the wall, biting my lip.
“I’m in pain Annie.” She ran over to me and clutched my hand, pulling me to the bed that laid by the window. “Ow!” I screamed as a sudden pain rushed down from my stomach.
“She’s goin’ into labor. Mary, quick, come help me.” Mary ran to get some water and Christina stayed with Jane, being the lookouts for the time being.
“Annie, I ain’t ready for this baby to come out tonight! Not now!”
“Rachel, darlin’ you ain’t got a choice. I’m not sure if you worked it up or it’s just early.” She ran her hand over my forehead, trying to soothe me.
“They’re comin’.” I turned and looked at Jane. Her eyes opened wide and I heard the first crunch of boots on rocks.
“I think…Damn it!” I bite down on the pillow that Mary was holding. She looked at Annie and than at Jane.
“Go stop them!” Jane ran out of the room and stood by Christina.
“Ladies, we want Rachel, not you!” Ike said, stopping but a few steps away.
“Than you have to get through us, Ike. Rachel ain’t dyin’ by your hand.” Ike let out a breath.
“Don’t tempt me damn it. I don’t like killin’ women.”
“Ladies, damn you! We’re not just women!” Christina shouted. Ike pulled out his guns and trained them on both women. “Stupid move Ike, you ain’t go one behind you.” Christina pulled out her gun, trained it and smirked.

I breathed in and out, hearing the shouting, though trying not to think about it. I heard a gun getting cocked and more guns and than turned to the door. I bit back a scream as I felt the baby start to push its way into this world. Annie squeezed my hand when we heard shots and I let the tears flow, knowing those were friends I would never see. I closed my eyes, slowly feeling the pain go away.
“She’s bleedin’ too much Mary.” Mary looked up at Annie and tried to stop crying. “We’re gonna lose her!”
“If we haven’t already.”
“No time to worry now.” They turned to the door, firing the guns that were strapped to the thighs, yet never succeeding. Through half open eyes, I watched as my friends fall down, the blood coming from the wounds they had. I felt the fall of my chest slow down and than stop completely.

“Theresa?” I felt the violent shakes and moaned out loud. “She’s coming too. Good. THERESA!” I held my head and slowly opened my eyes
“Wh…” I licked my lips and tried to speak again. “What?”
“You okay girlie?” I looked up and saw Shannon.
“What happened?”
“You passed out.”
“For how long Terri?”
“Few hours.” I sat up in the bed and stared at them. I looked around the room and than ran to the window, seeing the old house, most of it burnt down. They stared at me, frowns etched on their faces as I ran from the room and into that house.
“I did not see this before. You guys, this were the Wild Gals died! I was here, that’s why I passed out. I was sent back in time. You all were there. I know I was not the only one who passed out.”
“We slept, but never passed out.” I looked at Terri. “Girl, are you sure you’re okay?”
“Damn it, I’m fine.” I looked around the room, spotting a book by the bed. I went to it and slowly lifted it up, holding it gently.
“What’s that?” Jennifer asked. I looked at her and shrugged.
“Well, read it.” I laughed at Megan and opened the first page, scanning the contents.

~^~ We heard the rumors once we hit the town. The Wild Gals were killed in the small house behind their main hotel. The town, of course, is happy. Yet our hearts are in pain, we’re in pain. We loved them, all of us. U.S. Marshals aren’t nothin’ if we don’t have women to come home too. None of us were lyin’ when we said we wanted them. We buried their bodies in a lot near the hotel. The town of course didn’t want that, but they couldn’t stop us. I must bid this goodbye, it’s much too painful. >Nick< ~^~

I looked up and at the ladies. They all glanced around, eyes finally falling on Megan.
“There’s other pages.” I cleared my voice.

~^~ We found the notes. They loved us. Though, still sad, we’re thrilled. We’re riding out shortly, nothin’ left in Tombstone for us. Though, Howie still won’t let anyone read his letter, said it was much too personal. We’re hoping that he finds what he’s lookin’ for. After that, we leave. >Kevin< ~^~

“There’s a whole lot more to these, but this one is the final one, it’s by Howard.”

~^~ She was pregnant and she died givin’ birth to our baby girl. Angel, that’s what someone called her. I’m guessin’ Ike found her and got help. I went searchin’ for Angel, she’s so pretty. I put her in a good home. I just hope no one mentions her mother. Not that I’m ashamed of the woman I loved…love. She was a strong willed woman and it amazes me that she died givin’ birth, but I don’t want Angel to be ashamed. I hope someday I can come back to Tombstone and see her. Gotta ride out now >Howard< ~^~