- Text Size +
CHAPTER 4
“Did I tell you I saw Mrs. Fellowstine today Jane? And Rachel was utterly cruel to her. Why, Mrs. Fellowstine stuffed her nose even higher in the air.” The ladies shared a laugh as they cleaned the dinner dishes.
“I don’t know what’s gotten to our fellow gals, but something is amiss.”
“Why do you such a thing sugar?”
“Mary and Annie look nothing like themselves Christina. They seem, I don’t know, they’re just not the same girls I know. As for Rachel, honey, she didn’t even know why we needed Vinegar.”
“But she knew Mrs. Fellowstine. I think she just hit her head rather hard and it knocked some sense out of her. She’s comin’ around mighty fine. Look, here shortly the gang will stop by and all will be fine. She’ll be pleasin’ those men.”
“Men?”
“Ringo is not her only fan sugar. Just by far the most important one. Oh, I didn’t tell you who else I saw. Mr. Jacob.”
“He is such a nice old man. What did he say to you today?”
“Asked why we were in this God forsaken business. Said were young and pretty belles that we could land any man. But who wants to marry an outlaw or a lawman? Your either scared one’s getting hauled off to jail or laying dead somewhere. Or you’re scared that he’s out protectin’ somethin’ that’s goin’ get him into trouble!” Jane laughed but nodded her head.
“Though, I’d rather have me an outlaw any day. They surely know how to please their women.” Christina slapped the younger girl gently on her arm.
“My dear young girl, sometimes I wonder if that innocent look isn’t all an act.” Jane glanced at her friend from the corner of her eye.
“Who’s to say? Though, I certainly attract myself a larger number of guys with that act.” Christina gasped at the younger girl and broke into a fit of giggles.
“You guys are bad.” The two young girls and smiled at Annie.
“We’re not per say.”
“Well, no, we get paid well enough, I guess we’re good.” Annie shook her head at her sister’s comments.
“How you feelin’ sister?”
“I’m fine Christina. Just a little tired. I need a break from all this for a night or two.”
“Billy getting rather tough.”
“Curly Bill is never tough. Gentle, actually.” The two young girls simply rolled their eyes. “He is! Just more demandin’ than most.” They shared a laugh and groaned as they heard the soft knock on their door.
“I suppose I can get it.”
“Stay Annie, I’ll get it sugar,” I called into the kitchen. I lifted my skirt a little over my knees as I walked down the rest of the stairs and opened the door, seeing some young gentleman out there.
“Pardon me ma’am, are ya’ll the Wild Gals?”
“Yes sir. What can I do for you?”
“My name is Howie ma’am. This is my gang, so to speak. We just needed a decent place to catch a quick meal, no questions asked.”
“Well, Mr. Howie, I suppose we can whip something up for you and your men. Come on in.” I stepped aside as the rest of the men followed him in. “Ladies,” I hollered. I watched as Jane, Christina and Annie came from the kitchen and Mary come from the pallor. “This is Mary. And Annie, Jane and Christina and I’m Rachel.”
“Pleasure ladies. This is Nick, Kevin, Brian, Alex, and I’m Howie.”
“And you wanted a hot meal sugar?” Howie just nodded his head at Annie. “We’ll make something right up.” The guys smiled, tipped their hats and followed Annie into the kitchen. I smiled at Mary.
“What?”
“New men.”
“No questions.”
“Don’t want to ask, just wanna do.” Mary laughed and shook her head, following the crowd into the kitchen.

“Annie, you got anymore Whiskey?” Jane glanced at Johnny and than at Annie.
“No, you drank the rest of it Johnny. Speakin’ of which, don’t you have a place to stay. Why is it that ever night you gotta come over here? Why can’t you just one night stay away? Like tonight?” Annie rolled her eyes and Jane tried not to laugh.
“I know you’re not getting’ testy woman.”
“Damn it Johnny, you drank everything else in this house, somethin’ on your mind darlin’?”
“You housin’ some new men?”
“Who, that gang of men?”
“Yes Annie.”
“They nothin’ special hon. Just some outlaws lookin’ for a place to lie low for a while.”
“I don’t want them touchin’ my women.” Annie’s eyebrow’s shot up and she glanced at Jane.
“Are we branded as the Cowboy’s whores?”
“Yes.”
“Such a piss ant. We don’t belong to no one. There ain’t no rings on our fingers hon. We’re just simple minded women who go about they’re simple lives makin’ some cash. We don’t belong to anyone.” Annie stormed out of the room and into the kitchen.
“Something wrong?” Annie glared at Mary. “Honey, you okay?”
“I’m my own woman.”
“Damn right. Honey, don’t let that little man get to you. He ain’t nothin’ special.”
“Excuse me?” Annie’s eyes shot to the man standing in the doorway and smiled. The green eyes stood out against the tanned skin and the black hair.
“Yes hon?”
“We’re not botherin’ ya’ll by stayin’ in those extra rooms, are we?”
“No hon. Don’t mind those boys. They’re just lookin’ to stir up a little trouble. Nothin’ we can’t handle.”
“You sure ma’am.”
“Oh, we deal with them on a nightly basis hon.” He cocked an eyebrow and she smiled. “Regular clients.” He smiled and glanced at Mary.
“Oh, if you excuse me, I think Rachel said she wanted to do somethin’. Night sister. Night Kevin.” Annie glared at her retreating back and finally turned and smiled at Kevin.
“Would you like anythin’ to drink hon?”
“No, but I would love some company. Especially if it’s someone as beautiful as you.” He took one of the seats and the table and watched her. She ran a quick hand through her blonde locks and took the seat closest to Kevin.
“Would love to keep you company.”