- Text Size +
CHAPTER 5
“Johnny, keep it up and I’ll shoot that wildcat sash right off of you.” I glared at him yet he didn’t bother paying attention. “I’m tellin’ you Ringo, stop.”
“You never minded before.”
“I do now.” I moved out of his reach and turned toward the door, seeing Howie walk in.
“Something wrong ma’am?” I heard Ringo snort and turned to glare at him.
“She ain’t no ma’am. Ain’t nothin’ more than a lousy whore.”
“Regardless sir, she still is a ma’am.” I smiled at Howie and nodded my head as he tipped his hat at me. He softly grabbed my arm and pulled me close. “If he bothers you Rachel, just holler. One of us will come to save you.” He let me go and walked back to the two vacant rooms we had.
“Stay away from him.” I turned my attention back to Johnny.
“How dare you tell me what to do Ringo!”
“Don’t start trouble Rachel.” Within’ an instant I realized he had sobered up. “I mean it. Ain’t no real law to help you and your friends.”
“We don’t need no real law sugar. We seem to be doing just fine, fended on our own.”
“You think that shotgun you can handle is gonna help you?”
“She has friends Ringo. I think you over stepped your welcome.” He turned and glared at Howie.
“You just stay out of this.”
“I don’t think I should. Go, you ain’t nothin’ but trouble.” Ringo glared at Rachel and left, slamming the door behind him. “Why do you put up with him?”
“Oh, I don’t know. He was handsome, a gunslinger, an outlaw.”
“And those appeal to you?”
“Only certain women will admit, but yes, it rather does. Oh, I ain’t no true lady, I’ll never be one.” His eyes softened and he shook his head.
“No, I don’t think that’s right. It’s more than a refinement that makes a lady.” He smiled and left the room, just as quietly as he walked in. I bit my lip and smiled to myself.

“Don’t ya sometimes wonder about life?” Christina glanced at the other girl sitting next to her.
“Whatever are you talkin’ about Miss Jane?”
“Oh, just talkin’. I mean, you think God wanted us to have this life?”
“I’m sure He didn’t, but sometimes I don’t think He understands what all can happen in life. I mean, our family was takin’ by a fire. What else could we have done to have survived? And as for you?”
“Oh, there were other options. Cleanin’ houses, or doing little stuff. But it didn’t offer the money fast enough. My pa needed his money now.”
“His debts are paid off, why you still doin’ this?” Jane looked out over the desert and than looked up at the endless sky.
“I’m not sure. The pay is nice but I know it ain’t the best job. I guess because I know I have friends who are in it as well. Maybe cause I can do whatever I want and sorta get away with it. And because I can be innocent and yet be the devil in disguise.”
“Now, ma’am, I don’t believe you could ever be like that.” The ladies jumped as they heard the male voice from the doorway.
“Oh, I’m sorry sir, I didn’t hear the door open.”
“I’m the one who should be saying sorry. Didn’t mean to intrude.”
“You’re quite welcome to come join us if you wish sir,” Christina said, making her way out of the chair. “I think I had my bit of fresh air.” She smiled at Jane and went back inside.
“Do you mind ma’am?”
“Have a seat stranger.”
“Wonderful night, isn’t it?”
“Oh, I love these desert nights. Especially when no one is about.”
“Where is everyone?”
“Probably gamblin’ away their money. Though, I do believe some acts or other are makin’ their way through town. You like watchin’ the actors Mr. Brian?”
“Please ma’am, ya don’t have to include the Mister.”
“And you don’t have to call ma’am. Hardly anyone around here does.” Brian smiled at her and she turned her gaze back to the moon.
“Is it hard?” She got out of the chair and leaned against the railing.
“What do you mean?”
“Being, well, what you are?”
“No, it’s rather easy. Take care of yourself, by the far the biggest issue. But it’s a business that we run, one we take care of quite nicely.”
“A business?”
“Yes. We have licenses to prove it too. Go to the doctor, once every three months to make sure we’re healthy. And at the first sight we’re not, we go back. Than if there’s something wrong, he simply says we’re not fit to work. Than there’s hell and damnation.” Brian laughed and leaned back in his chair, crossing his booted feet at the ankle. “If you don’t mind my sayin’, it’s rather rude that you can ask questions, yet we can’t ask any.”
“If it’s an angel like you askin’ darlin’, I wouldn’t mind bearin’ my soul.” Jane turned around and glanced at the horizon, praying he didn’t see the blush that rose upon her cheeks.

“Ya know Mary, I think you should go over to that Oriental and play for them. They’ll pay you good money to play darlin’.”
“Will you come sing Christina?” Mary kept running her fingers over the piano keys, humming to the beat.
“I can’t sing nearly as good as you can Mary, and you know that. Ma always said she loved to her you sing.”
“No, she loved to hear my playin darlin’. But you, she loved to hear sing.” Christina rolled her eyes at her younger sister.
“You lie sister. A terrible liar at that. I think I feel like dancin’. Play me something I can dance to, please?”
“Only if I can have this dance ma’am.” Christina jumped at the voice and stared at the young man who just entered the small room.
“Why, of you course you may stranger.”
“No extra charge I hope.” Christina smiled and tapped her fan against his arm.
“I decide who I want to charge. Believe it or not, some men actually might get some things free.” He gently kissed her hand as he held it within his.
“I do believe it.” Within moments, his hands were upon her waist, her arms around his shoulders and he was leading her into a majestic dance. His brown eyes locked with hers, his arms holding her tightly. And as the dance drew to an end, he lead her to the near by love seat. She smiled at him as he took the seat next to her.
“Quite the dancer you are.”
“Thank you. Your rather lovely yourself madam.”
“Oh, years of practice has paid off.”
“For someone who hold as much as poise and self confidence as you do, I don’t think its practice. I do rather think it’s just a natural act.” She smiled and tapped her fan open, letting the cool breeze fan her hot cheeks.