- Text Size +
CHAPTER 6
Mary watched her sister dancing and smiled to herself, letting the music flow.
“You look Heavenly when you play.” Mary jumped at the voice and smiled as the young man sat down next to her.
“I’m glad you like the music.”
“Is that what I said I liked?”
“Were you referring to the song, or to myself sir?”
“I thought I was implying that about you.” Mary smiled and turned to watch the couple dance. “Your sister?”
“Yes, her and Annie.”
“A family business?”
“So to speak. Our family died in a fire and we had no way to make it on our own.”
“I’m sorry to hear that.” Mary shrugged and threw a smile at the blonde man sitting next to her.
“I come to understand that life is what you make it. Sometimes it’s bad, sometimes it’s good, but you can’t have one and not have the other. Sure, we lost our family, but we had each other. And sure, we’re not the best of Tombstone, but there’s two other friends with us and together we make a family who love and care for each other very much.”
“So I’ve come to notice.”
“We’ll all we have.” Mary stopped playing and turned her attention to the young man. “And you Mr. Nick? What brought you to Tombstone?”
“Remember, no questions.”
“Oh, so you can pry into our private lives yet we are not allowed to do the same?”
“Business.” Mary smiled, knowing when she should just give up. “Though, keep smilin’ darlin’, and I might just tell you anythin’ you want to know.” Mary smiled even wider and turned her attention back to the ivory keys.

She watched them as they left their hotel and walked over to the Crystal Palace. She sighed and shook her head.
“Somethin’ botherin’ you love?” Annie looked up at her sister and smiled.
“Not at all Mary.”
“You like watchin’ those backs.”
“Nice back sides to watch hon.”
“Somethin’ is on your mind.”
“Why all the mystery around them? I just can’t seem to understand it.”
“Nor anyone else. Who knows? They could be simple outlaws like most of the men here in Tombstone.”
“Or some type of law figures.” Mary scrunched up her nose and tossed the idea around in her mind.
“I’m not sure hon. They just don’t seem like the lawwin’ type.” Mary shrugged and looked outside. “Let’s go for a ride. It’s a wonderful day hon, what do ya say?” Annie glanced outside and smiled yet again.
“Sure sugar.”

“Anyone else sorta curious about those men?” All heads turned and looked at Jane. “Well, it’s just that Brian and I were talkin’ before I headed up to bed and he was so sweet. Now, I don’t know any outlaw who come off like such a sweetheart.”
“None of us do, yet none of us can begin to understand what they do,” Christina said, taking a piece off the roll and popping it into her mouth. “Well, let’s start rulin’ out the things they can’t possibly be.”
“There’s the problem. They can just be about anything. They can simply be playin’ an act on us.”
“But why Mary?” Mary glanced at Annie and shook her head.
“They’re not outlaws, and they’re not the law. Could it be possible they just work for the government?”
“Aren’t they always dressed up in suits?”
“Well, no Jane. Not if they have to ride. How many men you know that get all dressed up to go ridin’ around in the dirt and dust?”
“Very good point Rachel.” We piled our plates with food and got comfty on the blanket as we talked about that gang of men.
“Didn’t Howie say somethin’ like ‘this is my gang’ or somethin’ like that?”
“I do recall Rachel.”
“Well, they don’t work for him, otherwise he would have said these are my men and he would have put them in another place, right?”
“True,” Annie agreed yet again.
“But if they were workin’ together, they would be a gang.”
“But they were searchin’ for us.”
“Maybe they knew we would be quiet Christina. They said no askin’ questions, they knew we wouldn’t,” Mary stated.
“I’m gonna dare ask.”
“Rachel, are you outta your mind? They said no askin’, we’re not gonna ask.”
“Jane, don’t be like that. I’m gonna dare! These men are stayin’ under our roof and yet we know nothin’ about them?”
“Well, that’s what they wanted.”
“And sometimes ya just don’t get what you want.” I shook my head at her and gazed out over the hills.
“Jane could be right Rachel.”
“Why I agree with Rachel, Annie. I mean, they want to stay, we at least have to know who they are.”
“We have names Christina.”
“That’s not enough Jane! They have jobs, like every other man, and I want to know, I mean, I’m gonna demand to know.” I glanced at Christina and started laughing. “What?”
“We’re arguin’ over men. We don’t need to be doin’ that.” They glanced at me and they too started laughing.

I wiped the table clean and glanced up as the door opened.
“Howdy ma’am.” I nodded my head at Kevin as he sat down at the table.
“Would you like something sugar?”
“Just some tea ma’am.”
“Kevin, darlin’, ya ain’t gotta call us ma’am. We have names, those will be just fine.” I smiled as I poured him a glass. He nodded his head as I handed it to him and went back to cleaning.
“Rachel, what can you tell me about the Cowboys.” I frowned up at him and stopped cleaning.
“Why, that all depends on what you want to know. Why?”
“Just askin’. You know them pretty well?” I thought for a moment.
“Well, not good enough I suppose. They’re just customers. But I know a thing or two about Ringo. And Annie knows a thing or two about Curly Bill. As for other gals, I’m not to sure.”
“They ever mention their plans?” I glanced at him and narrowed my eyes.
“I’ll answer that if you answer mine Kevin. Why are you askin’ me these questions?”
“Just curious. I don’t like them.”
“Not too many men do.” I put the last of the dishes away and walked over to Kevin. I leaned down and looked him in the eye. “But that ain’t the right answer; you and I both know it. I might be a lousy whore Kevin, but I ain’t stupid. I can read people pretty damn well and that piss ant answer won’t work. You’re gonna ask questions, we’re gonna ask you some too. Tell your boys that.” I winked at him and walked out of the room, bumping into Annie as she walked in.
“You okay Rachel?”
“Don’t tell him anything hon, without askin’ him somethin’ first. They have questions and want to know somethin’. But damnit, so do we and we’ll find our answers just as well.” She nodded her head and I went on my way.