- Text Size +
Leighanne entered Brian's hotel room quietly and stopped for a moment as she watched him toss and turn on the uncomfortable hotel room bed. Her heart was breaking, but there was nothing she could do to stop the pain from coming. In her heart she knew she had made the right decision. No matter how much it hurt her to make, she would have to go through with it. Not only for her own sake, but Brian's as well. She had lied to him, god how she had lied! She was still surprised she'd managed to pull it off without getting to emotionally involved.

She loved him so much, so much it hurt to even think of ending their marriage, but she also knew they couldn't continue on the way they had been going. It wasn't healthy for either of them. She knew he hadn't been committed to her for some time, she wasn't even sure if he was even committed when he proposed. He had been emotionally shut down and shut off from her for longer than she could remember.

She would have to admit however, if she stopped and thought about it that he has always been emotionally detached from her. She didn't want a divorce. She didn't want to be with anyone else. She had found her soul mate, but he didn't want her anymore, maybe he never did. She loved him more than anything else, but her love for him wasn't enough to save them. She couldn't carry the marriage on her love alone. She didn't agree with his lifestyle. She hated the rock star, fast paced life and she knew her unhappiness only added more turmoil to their situation.

She knew that she would never have been able to convince Brian that they needed this unless she said she wanted it. It killed her to utter those words and to act that way, but she knew if she didn't than he would never understand. She couldn't make him love her. She had been trying with no success for much too long. The only reason she had been holding on so long was because of the secret she had been keeping for much too long, a secret she wasn't ready to get rid of quite yet. She knew it would either trill him, or destroy him and she couldn't hold her breath for the first.

She rubbed her hand lightly over her stomach and laid the packet of papers she carried with on the desk in the corner and crawled into the bed beside him. He jerked up suddenly at the sudden shift in the mattress and relaxed when he saw her lying beside him. He rolled over and laid his head on her chest, her arms immediately going around him. She gently kissed the top of his curly head. That was all it took for him to completely fall apart in her arms.

He cried buckets, heaping gut wrenching sobs that made her worry that he wouldn't be able to catch his breath. She held him tighter to her making her own heart break along side his. She hated to see the man she loved so desperately in this much pain. It killed her that she could do nothing to make it better for him.

"I'm so sorry Leigh. I never meant to screw everything up so badly. Please don't hate me. I love you!" He sobbed out.

"It's alright Brian. All has been forgiven. Everything's going to be alright." She hugged him closer but he pushed her away forcefully and sat up.

"Nothing will ever be the same or ok again. Don't you understand that? I messed everything up! Everything is so messed up. I hate myself, no wonder he hates me too!" He screamed at her before crumbling in tears all over again. She was stunned by his outburst, but even more stunned by his confession. What was he talking about? Could this be what he had been bottling up for so long? Could this be what had been driving him wild for the last two years of their marriage? She soothed back his hair and held him closer, praying that he would finally open up to her. She gently rocked them back and forth hoping to ease his discomfort. He sniffed as his sobs subsided and he began to breath evenly again. He looked up at her, the face of a punished child. His eyes swollen and his face red. She could see the despair that didn't appear to be leaving anytime soon on every feature of his face.

"I messed up Leigh, I messed up everything. I'm so fucking stupid. Nothing will ever be the same again."

She sat quietly as he rehashed the entire story from beginning to end, her heart breaking and her mind moving a million miles a minute. She wasn't sure if she should laugh or cry, or throw something against the wall in a fit of rage. She was devastated, hurt, and relieved all at once. She couldn't believe all that had went on with his man that she had loved unconditionally for the past two years. She couldn't believe he thought he was gay let alone that he had broken AJ's heart in his web of lies as well. Even though he had been cheating on her basically since they got married didn't faze her as much as she thought it would have.

She was more concerned about Brian than herself. Even though he had screwed up three separate lives in running from his demons she could not find it in her heart to be mad or hate him. She was hurt yes, she wished there was something, some way to fix the pain he'd caused her, but there wasn't. It would just have to be another thing she managed to deal with and get over. Brian had been paying the ultimate price for all of his mistakes. He had created his own personal hell and been living broken for too long to make her feel like she should add to it.

Brian looked at her, prepared for anything she threw at him. He felt better after telling her. She kissed his cheek and told him how much she loved him. He relaxed against her and closed his eyes. Outside the moon shone brightly illuminating the hotel room.

"Why did you come here tonight Leigh?" he asked like a small child scared.

"I was bringing you the final copy of our divorce papers." She said softly. "I wanted to go threw them together. I didn't want you to have to go through them alone. We're ending this on better terms than what we started I think and I thought it would only be fair if we went through them together. I don't want any of your money or anything like that. I would like to keep my car and our home in Atlanta, but other than that I don't want anything. I'm not the lying gold digger everyone thinks I am." Leighanne said laughing softly.

Brian smiled and hugged her to him. He was going to miss her. He loved her in his own special way, not like he should as her husband, but as a best friend. "For what's it worth Leigh, I love you. Not the way you wanted me to or the way I should have, but I did love you. When all of this is said and done I don't want to lose you from my life. It would kill me to lose you too."

She nodded and leaned back against the headboard, bringing Brian with her. "It's a shame about Kevin though. I think Kristen is and always has been a bitch. I can't believe she treated Kevin that way." Brian nodded. "I miss him. I wish things could be different. I wish I could have been different." Brian sat with Leighanne quietly. He couldn't believe their marriage was over. He really couldn't believe he had told her everything that had been eating away at him for the past two years. He felt horrible for everything he had put her through He closed his eyes and imagined briefly what his life would have been like if he had never let his emotions get so confused and messed up. All he wanted was to curl up in AJ's arm and never come out, but he knew that would never happen again.

Leighanne watched the emotions play across Brian's features and wished there was a way that she could make this broken man whole again. But there was nothing she could do to fix everything this time. Her heart hurt for him. He was a wreck. But this was something he had to fix himself. Her part on his journey was over; he had to take the reins from here. She just hoped he had enough energy to fight the pain and get on with his life without allowing it all to overtake him.