- Text Size +
The ride to the hospital seemed to last for an eternity. Every time he thought they were getting closer they only ended up in another traffic jam. It was nerve racking and Brian was unsure of how much more he could take. His mind swarm with so many thoughts and emotions. He was worried, beyond worried. The phone call he had received had been clipped and short without much information. He could barely wrap his mind around what was going on. All he knew was that Leighanne had collapsed moving from the kitchen into the living room. They couldn’t figure out what would have made her collapse and her mother panicked and called an ambulance. Brian thanked God that at least Leighanne hadn’t been alone. What if something happened? He was just getting used to the idea of being a father, he couldn’t have it all taken away from him now. He wanted this baby more than he had even initially realized. He couldn’t wait to meet his son.

After awhile the cab pulled up in front of the hospital. Brian jumped from his seat and practically dragged AJ out of the car. AJ laughed softly and made Brian stop long enough so he could pay the cab driver. Once inside the hospital Brian latched on to his hand and would not let go. They followed the signs around the lobby and set off towards the prenatal floor. AJ spotted a nurses station to his right and pulled Brian over towards it.

“Hello darlin’. My name is AJ McLean and my friend’s wife was brought in a little bit ago and we would like some information on her condition and when we can see her. Her name is Leighanne Littrell” AJ said taking charge and pulling Brian close to him.

The nurse blushed and looked down at the computer typing the name into the computer. After a few moments she pointed down a long hallway. “She’s in room 8701 sir.” She said smiling.

AJ winked at her and pulled Brian towards the hallway. They wandered up and down until they got the hang of the number scheme. Finally they found Leighanne’s room. AJ smiled reassuringly at Brian and ushered him into the room, content with waiting in the hallway. Brian on the other hand would have none of it. Brian looked AJ in the eyes with the innocence of a little boy. “Alex, please come with me.” He whispered softly.

AJ’s heart broke at the simple words that slipped from Brian’s mouth. He nodded and followed Brian into the room. He could have kicked himself for being so stupid. He couldn’t believe that he had agreed to come in here. Leighanne laid peacefully in the middle of the room hooked up to all kinds of machines that beeped and hummed, bathing the room in soft noise. AJ felt very uncomfortable. He wasn’t supposed to be here. This was time for Brian and Leighanne. He wanted nothing more than to step outside and leave them alone. Before he could make a getaway however the door opened and the doctor stepped in. He smiled as he realized the two men were in the room as well.

“I’m assuming one of you is Brian?” The doctor said scanning Leighanne’s chart quickly before checking her vitals.

Brian nodded and cleared his throat. “I am sir. How is she?” He asked suddenly finding his voice. He squeezed AJ’s hand for reassurance. AJ squeezed back trying to let Brian know he was there.

“Well she suffered a nasty fall so there will be bruises and scraped from that, but she’ll be fine. The main concern was the baby however. It’s never a good thing for a mother to fall that late in a pregnancy. That’s why we made the decision to go ahead with the c-section.” The doctor said writing something down on Leighanne’s chart. “Congratulations Mr. Littrell, you have a son. He’s breathing mostly on his own and he doesn’t seem to be in any danger. As long as everything progresses at a normal rate you’ll be able to take him home in a few days.”

Brian fell back into AJ after hearing the good news. He had been so scared. He felt all the energy and tension leave his body. A boy. He was now a father. He had a baby boy, and he was alright. “When can I see him?” Brian asked, his eyes lighting up.

The doctor smiled. “Anytime you’d like. He’s down in the nursery. Just give them your name at the door and they will let you in. We will be bringing him back to his mother for a feeding in a while so you may want to go down there soon. She should be awakening shortly.” The doctor shook both of their hands and let himself out of the room.

Brian looked at AJ with relief and gratitude before burying his head in AJ’s chest. AJ pulled his arms around Brian and held him tightly to him. They embraced, both thrilled that everything turned out alright. They stood like that for a few moments before Brian shifted and hid his face in AJ’s neck, inhaling the scent that was strictly AJ. “Alex, I don’t even know how to thank you for being here with me.” AJ smiled and shushed him softly. He pulled Brian closer and closed his eyes trying to relish the last moments he could pretend Brian would one day be his. After a few moments they pulled apart regretfully. “Want to go down to the nursery with me?” Brian asked softly, his eyes pleading.

AJ could never say no to that face. He nodded with a small smile on his face. Brian smiled wider and walked over to Leighanne’s bed. AJ looked away as Brian leaned down and kissed Leighanne on the forehead. He was going to have to calm himself down before he made a scene at the hospital. He wanted to tear the walls down at the image of them together. It just wasn’t fair.

Brian turned and smiled at AJ before taking his hand again and leading him out of the room. He smiled to himself as AJ didn’t resist or try to pull away. They found their way to the nursery fairly easily. The screaming and crying made it easier to locate than the individual hospital rooms. Brian could only hope that his son wouldn’t constantly be screaming that loud. Once they reached the nursery they had to wait to enter. They were given clean suits to put on and quickly pulled them on over their street clothes.

The nurse stopped them before they went any further. “We need a name sir. The mother said you were the one deciding. Do you have the name prepared at this time?” She asked looking the two men over.

Brian smiled and nodded his head. “Baylee James Littrell is his name.” Brian said beaming at the nurse. AJ did a double take. He was prepared for the first name, but there was no way that Brian just gave his son his own middle name. AJ looked at Brian curiously. Brian smiled back. “What? You came up with his first name. It was only fitting that he have his uncle Alex’s middle name as well.” AJ was still in a state of shock. He couldn’t believe Brian would do that. It made his heart fill with love for the older man and he had to bite back the tears that quickly filled his eyes. It really touched him that Brian would do that.

They were directed to the correct bassinet and watched as the nurse slide the name plate in the front before leaning down and pulling the soft bundle out of the crib. She smiled as she walked over to the two men and placed the baby in his father’s arms. “This is your son.” She said smiling before stepping away to give the two men some privacy.

Brian stared down in wonder at the baby cradled in his arms. This was it. This baby was his life. He couldn’t believe he had a hand in creating something so tiny, so precious. He smiled down in awe at the perfect little boy. He lightly ran his finger over the baby’s cheek and the rest of his features. He was beautiful. Baylee slept quietly and didn’t acknowledge his father’s touch. Brian looked at AJ with tears in his eyes. AJ smiled back and shuffled back and forth slowly. “Do you want to hold him?” Brian asked catching AJ off guard. He had not anticipated holding the baby. He had to admit thought that he wanted to. He nodded slowly and gently took him out of Brian’s arms.

AJ felt the breath catch in his throat. He stared down at the baby and was struck by how much the small child already resembled his father. Baylee was soft and warm and lying there in his arms AJ felt his world end. He had to blink several times to stop the tears from falling onto the precious baby. There was no way AJ would ever be able to be without Brian, but holding his son, somehow made it a little easier to handle. The baby was a splitting image of the man he loved more than life itself. He rocked Baylee softly in his arms not wanting to ever let go. Brian watched quietly a few feet away finally allowing a few tears to fall. Seeing the man he loved his whole life holding his newborn son made his heart ache with love and longing. He wanted nothing more than to pour his heart out to AJ and beg him to let the three of them be a family, but he knew that could never happen. He couldn’t believe how much love he felt inside of him at that moment, not only for AJ but for his son as well. He only wished he could make AJ love him too.

Brian was startled out of his thoughts as the nurse came back into to take Baylee back. She took him from AJ and quietly led them back to Leighanne’s room. Brian was pleased to see she was sitting up and looked well as they walked in. She was leaning against a pile of pillows and smiled as Brian walked into the room. Her smile grew even wider as AJ filed in behind him. She glanced at Brian with her eyebrows raised but he blushed and avoided her gaze. Brian sat on the end of Leighanne’s bed while AJ stood at the foot awkwardly.

“Hello AJ,” She said smiling up at him.

“Hey Leigh.” He said uncomfortable giving her a little wave. He watched sadly as Brian leaned over and embraced her.

“I’m so glad he’s ok! I was so worried. “ She said leaning into Brian. Brian hugged her tightly. “I’m so glad your both ok. You scared the shit out of me.”

AJ watched in anguish. He couldn’t handle being in this room anymore. “Hey guys, I’m going to step out into the waiting room and give you two some privacy. I’ll be out here if you need me.”

Brian nodded and watched sadly as AJ left the room. He pulled a chair up close to Leighanne’s bed as she began to feed Baylee. “So how did this happen?” she asked innocently.

Brian blushed and looked away again. “It’s nothing really. I was really upset when I got the call from your mom and he came with me. I was so glad he was here. I don’t think I could have kept it together without him. He was just being nice though.” Brian said brushing it off. “I’m so glad your both alright.” Brian said smiling at the two of them.

She sighed. “I’m really glad we’re doing this. You’re going to make an amazing father. I’m not ready for a baby. I just want to know that you’re going to be ok.” She said looking at him curiously.

“It’s going to be hard, but I know I can handle it. I really want this Leigh.” Brian said smiling before he leaned down and kissed the top of his son’s head.