- Text Size +
AJ closed his eyes tighter and tried to bury his head under the bunk pillows. He laid there for a few moments before groaning and flipping over on his back. He tried frantically to ignore the shrill screams coming from the baby in the back of the bus, but it was no use. Every night was the same, it never stopped. He looked up at the ceiling and quietly counted to ten praying that the baby would calm in the next ten seconds. AJ growled as he realized that the baby would not be quieting down anytime soon. He loved Baylee, more than he cared to admit to anyone, but if the kid didn’t shut his damn mouth AJ was sure he would go insane.

It had been like this ever since Brian had brought Baylee home from the hospital. Brian tried so hard to be a good father, taking it a little to the extreme. He wouldn’t let anyone help or assist in any way. He was determined to do it all himself. AJ had gotten to do little things every now and then when Brian was too exhausted to fight him. He had learned to change diapers and prepare formula, all things he never imagined he would have to learn, but he had done them.

He was fully capable and willing to help Brian with the baby. The hard part was convincing Brian that he needed the help. AJ could see how exhausted Brian was becoming. He was running himself ragged and AJ worried about his health and what kind of toll having Baylee around would take on him. He tried his hardest to take care of Brian without actually letting Brian know he was doing it, he just wanted to make sure that Brian remained safe as well.

It wasn’t like Brian just let Baylee sit and cry in his crib or anything. He was always holding him, changing, feeding and doing his best to soothe him. Sometimes it just didn’t matter what Brian did, Baylee would cry all night anyway. It was nights like these that Brian would become so frustrated he would end up crying right alongside Baylee. Those times damn near broke AJ’s heart. He hated to see Brian cry. Brian would end up crying with Baylee until he grew so exhausted he ultimately fell asleep, the standoff however could last for hours.

They had hired a nanny, Rachel, to assist in taking care of Baylee during the hours that they were busy with work, but all the other time Brian had Baylee. They had found her through a friend of Leighanne’s and she had agreed to travel with them. Because she was so good with Baylee and could start right away, Brian had offered to pay for her night classes so she could still go to school while on the road with them. Because of this however she rode on the other bus, which left the three of them alone on their bus. Sometimes that was a blessing, and other times it was so damn hard AJ was afraid he would never make it to the next city.

He laid there a while longer trying to decide what to do. Usually when he got up to help Brian fought him off and back to his bunk without so much as a good night. AJ knew he was just scared of people thinking he couldn’t handle it, but he also knew that Brian needed help, whether he wanted to admit it or not. Deciding there was no way he could get any sleep until Baylee calmed down AJ decided to get up. He pulled on his sweat pants and wifebeater from the floor and stretched.

As soon as he pulled back the bus curtain the crying got louder. He walked into the lounge where Brian stood against the bus window. He looked so small and fragile leaning against the cool glass. AJ could tell from where he stood that Brian was crying as well, silent tears, but tears none the less. Brian turned as he heard AJ walk into the room shooting AJ a sad look and a cheerless smile. AJ walked over and pulled the two into his arms, trying to comfort them both the only way he knew how. He felt Brian shake in his arms, allowing the tears to come more freely. AJ pulled back gently and reached a hand up to wipe the tears off Brian’s cheeks, tears Brian hadn’t even known he’d been crying. “Shh Angel, It’s going to be alright.” AJ said leaning forward and placing a chaste kiss on Brian’s warm forehead.

Brian shook his head miserably. “I’ve tried everything. He won’t stop crying. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. It hurts so badly knowing he needs something and I have no idea what I’m not giving him. I feel so helpless.” Brian managed to get out before he dissolved into tears again. AJ pulled the older man back into his arms, trying his best to soothe his fears. “I’m so tired. I haven’t sleep in what feels like months. I can barely keep my eyes open sometimes. I’m so sorry he woke you. Hopefully he’ll fall asleep soon and we can all have some peace. I just don’t know what to do.” Brian said sniffing as he began to calm down. Just having AJ there with him lifted a weight off of him he hadn’t realized was there.

AJ took Baylee out of Brian’s arms and snuggled him in the crook of his arm. With his free arm he managed to steer Brian towards the couch. AJ settled himself down on the couch cradling the crying baby in his arms. He pulled Brian down beside him and began a soft rocking motion, rocking Baylee soothingly in his arms. Baylee seemed to begin to respond and stopped screaming as loudly as he had been previously. Brian leaned into AJ’s side and placed his head on AJ’s shoulder. It felt so nice to be close to him like this. He needed this. He needed help, plain and simple, he needed AJ.

AJ cleared his throat and softly began to sing. “From the first day, that I saw your smiling face, honey, I knew that we would be together forever” Baylee immediately calmed, hiccupping a few times as he stopped crying. He rocked his small arms forward in an attempt to get closer and smiled up at AJ. Brian’s eyes grew wide as he heard AJ begin to sing, his voice dripping love and emotion by every word out of his mouth. He watched his son become calm and mystified by the younger man. This is exactly what they needed to survive, to live, to love. They all needed each other. Brian only wished that AJ saw it the same ways he did.

AJ continued to sing lulling both Brian and Baylee to sleep. He smiled down at the sleeping baby in his arms and then at the man he loved more than life its self curled up bedside him. They were like a little family. The three of them could easily be a family, and they were, in his mind. AJ kissed Baylee’s cheek and the top of Brian’s head before snuggling deeper into the couch, finally able to sleep.