- Text Size +
Nick sat at the table in the kitchen area of the bus, spoonful of frosted flakes in one hand and a comic book in the other. He enjoyed the down time on the bus. They were pretty packed on one bus, but it was the price they all paid for not wanting to ride with Baylee to every city. Not that they didn’t love the baby, they just loved peace and quiet too. Rachel was a nice, quiet addition to their bus. She kept to herself and didn’t really cause any problems. At least she cleaned up after all of them. Howie had stopped that a long time ago. It was a nice change.

“Whatcha reading Nicky?” Kevin asked coming into the kitchen and pouring himself a cup of coffee. That was another good thing about Rachel; she always made sure there was fresh coffee. She had a small obsession with it.

“Just a comic book that I picked up in the last city. Just waiting till we get to the hotel, I want off the bus.” Nick said happily munching on his cereal.

Kevin nodded and brought his coffee to the table. He took the seat across from Nick and settled back. He tried unsuccessfully not to stare at the blonde in front of him. He quietly tried to commit his new features to memory. He had changed so much and then again not at all in the time that Kevin had been away. They sat in comfortable silence for a while, neither one saying a word. Nick continued to eat his cereal.

“So I heard you and AJ had something going on.” Kevin said bluntly, taking a sip from his coffee cup.

Nick choked on the cereal and sputtered milk all over the table and all over Kevin. Coughing a few times he looked at Kevin angrily. Kevin glared back wiping milk off his arms. “Thanks Nick. That wasn’t disgusting at all.”

“Where did you hear that from?” Nick demanded, ignoring the other things he said.

“Relax Nick. Brian mentioned that you two were spending more time together and I just put two and two together. I just wanted to hear from you what was going on is all.” Kevin said softly looking at Nick curiously.

“We’re not together and no I don’t want to talk about it.” Nick said picking up his bowl of cereal and dumping the remaining contents in the sink. He grabbed some paper towel and cleaned up his mess on the table. He threw one more angry glance in Kevin’s direction before he left the room.

Kevin sighed heavily. He knew he had handled that the wrong way, but he just wanted to know what was going on. As far as he knew before that Nick was straight, him being with AJ opened up a whole new can of worms that Kevin desperately wanted to get to the bottom of. Was Nick really interested in men? Maybe the Kevin’s chances weren’t as bleak as he originally though. He could only ever hope. Hoping however was never going to get him anywhere.

Nick curled up in his bunk and tried to ignore the fact that Kevin was in the other room. Ever since Kevin has come back Nick’s emotions had been all over the place. He could not stay in one mood for very long. He felt like he was falling off a cliff with nowhere to land every time Kevin looked in his general direction. He wished things with AJ hadn’t ended the way that they had. He sighed and rolled over onto his stomach. Having Kevin back on tour with them was beginning to become more and more complicated. Nick missed Kevin more now that he was back then he did when he was with Kristen.

He felt the bus pull to a stop and realized that they must have pulled up outside of the hotel. He climbed out of his bunk and quickly gathered his stuff. He wanted off the bus before anything worse could happen. He just wanted to lock himself up in his hotel room and forget everything that had been happening. He walked to the front of the bus and realized that everyone else had already left. He descended the stairs and was set to go inside when Howie stopped him. “Hey Nick, can you see what’s keeping the other bus? I’ll take your stuff.” He said smiling at Nick. Nick sighed but handed over his stuff.

He made his way to the other bus easily. It was a lot easier to move around when they got to park in the lots behind the hotels. It really helped keep fans at bay. He knocked loudly on the bus door but received no response. He pushed the bus door open and climbed inside. He came to a screeching halt as he saw all members of the bus curled up together on the couch. He felt a pang of jealously seeing AJ encased with Brian and Baylee. He cleared his throat loudly in an attempt to wake them up. He didn’t want to have to go any closer unless he had to.

Brian began to stir and yawned. He stretched on the couch before smiling at his son wrapped in AJ’s arms. He then realized that they weren’t alone as his eyes fell on Nick. Nick smiled angrily. He took a deep breath before speaking, trying to keep his voice clear.

“We’re here. You need to come inside and get your room keys.” With that he turned on his heel and left the bus.

Brian sighed heavily. Just when he thought things were getting better something had to happen to mess everything up again. He brought his attention back to the man beside him. His heart danced at the fact that they had slept together all night long on the couch. He leaned over and placed a small, sweet kiss on AJ’s lips before pulling away and taking Baylee from his arms. He changed and diapered Baylee before gathering their things to leave the bus. He sat on the couch, gently shaking AJ in an attempt to wake him up. It took a few minutes for him to come out of his sleepy daze. AJ sat up for a moment trying to figure out how he got on the couch in the first place. He glanced up at Brian who stood holding Baylee and smiled. He remembered now. He rubbed his face with his hands trying to rub away the sleepiness.

“Nick came by to wake us up and found you on the couch asleep with us. He was pretty upset when he left so you may want to talk to him.” Brian said tiredly as he struggled to gather the rest of his and Baylee’s bags before leaving the bus, leaving AJ alone with his thoughts.

He sighed heavily. Now Brian thought that he and Nick had something going on. Whatever they may have had before was completely over now so he couldn’t understand why Nick would have been upset by seeing him with Brian. He shrugged to no one and grabbed his things before leaving the bus. He was tired of trying to figure everything out all the time. If Nick wanted to be mad then more power to him. He was sure he would find out what Nick’s problem was soon enough.