- Text Size +
Brian leaned against the door frame and smiled as he saw his son all wrapped up in AJ’s arms. He knew it was ridiculous to be jealous of his son, but it was hard not to be. Baylee currently was buried in the one place Brian longed to be most. He smiled at the pair before leaning over and kissing Baylee’s cheek, causing him to smile more.

“Hey Bri. We just got done with our bath.” AJ said smiling cheekily and pointing at his shirt.

The wet material was clinging to him in such a way that Brian had to struggle to maintain even breathing. AJ handed Baylee to Brian before pulling his shirt off his head. He closed the hotel door behind Brian and led him further into the room. He threw his dirty shirt in the already enormous pile of dirty laundry and went to his suitcase to find another one. Brian couldn’t take his eyes off of the younger man’s body. He wished he could lick and kiss every inch of exposed skin. He longed to trace the tattoos that decorated the other man. He just wanted to be lost in AJ’s strong arms. He blushed at his thoughts. He had to calm down, and soon, before things ended up being really awkward. Brian looked away before AJ could catch him staring and settled onto the couch to dress Baylee.

“I was going to do that.” AJ said turning around and catching Brian pulling clothes out of the diaper bag.

“It’s no big deal, I can do it.” Brian said smiling at AJ.

AJ sat on the couch and swatted Brian’s hands out of the way. He dug through the bag until he found something he had bought and dressed and diapered the baby. He kissed his cheek sweetly before handing him back to Brian. Sometimes AJ just didn’t want to let him go. The bath had worn Baylee out and he snuggled into his father’s arms and fell asleep quickly. They settled back onto the couch comfortably.

“I’m sorry if Nick got mad about earlier. I should have woken up sooner and already been ready to leave so he didn’t have to come looking for us. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to fall asleep last night.” Brian said softly focusing his attention on the sleeping baby so he wouldn’t have to look at AJ.

AJ shook his head. “It’s not that big of a deal. I’m glad you fell asleep; you haven’t been sleeping properly so any sleep you do manage to get is always a good thing. He had no reason to react the way he did. Who knows what the hell his problem is. I suggest he get over it sooner rather than later.” AJ said catching Brian’s eye.

They stared at each other for a few seconds, both wanting to say so much more. Brian started to tell AJ everything and then stopped himself. It was no use. AJ would never forgive him and he didn’t deserve AJ’s forgiveness. He didn’t want to make things worse between them. What they had going on right now was working, there was no use messing it up. He had a million questions he wanted to discuss, but he knew they would never talk about such things. None of it was any of Brian’s business anyway. He sighed and tried to ignore the way his heart hurt at the thought of AJ and Nick together. He had no right to feel the way he did. He was the one who caused all of these things to happen anyway.

AJ grabbed the remote off of the coffee table and turned on the television. He needed something else to focus his attention on. There was no way he could sit there any longer without some sort of distraction. The urge to lean over and kiss Brian was becoming too strong and he needed to calm down. He sighed in frustration and settled back, watching whatever cartoon happened to be on at the moment. He snuck glances at the two sitting beside him. He longed for them all to be together. He would make a great father and an even better partner. Maybe he had been going a little overboard trying to make Brian see how perfect they could be together but he couldn’t help himself.

He watched as Baylee began to get fussy. Brian shifted him around in his arms, trying to calm him before he threw a fit but nothing seemed to be working. The movements only seemed to agitate him more. Baylee broke out in a strangled cry and screamed. AJ chuckled as he watched Brian begin to panic. Every time Baylee cried Brian freaked and had no idea what to do. AJ figured it was all part of being a new father.

“It’s not funny Alex. I have no idea what’s the matter with him. He was sleeping just fine before. He’s not wet, hungry, or anything else I can think of. I have no idea what to do.” Brian said looking helplessly at AJ.

AJ smiled before scooting closer and gently pulling Baylee out of Brian’s arms. He settled Baylee on his shoulder and rubbed his back soothingly, rocking him gently the entire time. Baylee immediately soothed himself down and cuddled into the side of AJ’s neck and went back to sleep. Brian glared at him playfully.

“Why does he always like you better than me?” Brian asked crossing his arms over his chest.

AJ laughed and threw an arm around Brian’s shoulders. “It’s cuz I’ve got the magic touch baby.” AJ said grinning widely.

Brian looked at him, a small smile on his face and tried desperately not to lean in and kiss him. The smile died on AJ’s lips as he noticed how intensely Brian was staring at him. He opened his mouth to speak but had no idea what to say, so he closed it and continued to look at Brian. He felt like he was stuck in a trance and he prayed Brian did something, anything.

The phone rang breaking them out of whatever hold they were in and Brian jumped up to get it before it woke Baylee. He stood there silently for a few moments before nodding and hanging the phone up. He turned and smiled softly as his gaze fell back on AJ.

“We have to go. The vans are waiting downstairs.” He said grudgingly.

AJ nodded and gathered his things with one hand while holding Baylee with the other. He was grateful for the interruption because otherwise he would have made quite an ugly mess of things, but at the same time he relished the time he got to spend alone with the two of them, sometimes those moments could be few and far between. Brian grabbed the room keys and the diaper bag and followed AJ out of the room and to the elevators. They were the last ones to get outside so they ended up riding by themselves to the venue. The van ride was tense, both unsure of how to react to the other.

Once they got to the venue they met the other guys on stage. Brian didn’t miss the dirty looks Nick shot in his direction. He smiled secretly. He liked Nick being jealous, AJ belonged to him and there was no way that Brian would ever let him go again if he ever got him back.

“There you guys are. We’ve been waiting forever. We thought you’d never get here. Give Rachel the baby and let’s get started.” Kevin said taking his place on stage. He couldn’t handle it if they were even ten minutes late.

Nick followed behind him and watched quietly as AJ played family man. AJ handed Rachel the sleepy Baylee, but as soon as Baylee left AJ’s arms he let out a high pitched scream and would not stop crying. AJ quickly took him back in his arms and blushed as Baylee quieted down and went back to sleep. Making a quick decision AJ took to the stage with Baylee still wrapped in his arms. Brian laughed and smiled from his place on the stage. Baylee was almost as addicted to AJ as he was. The rest of the guys stared at AJ in wonder, confused looks on their faces.

“What’s going on cuz?” Kevin asked eyeing AJ curiously. Brian shrugged before laughing a little. “Don’t ask me. He’s been like this all day. He doesn’t want anyone but AJ. He even throws a fit when I hold him.” Brian said shaking his head.

“I’ll just hold him and not do the dancing. I can still sing my parts though.” AJ said rocking Baylee back and forth in his arms. He smiled down at the sleeping baby. He couldn’t have been happier by Baylee’s actions. It felt good to be needed so intensely. AJ held Baylee close to his chest and danced around the stage, careful not to stand still for too long. By the end of the sound check Baylee was still fast asleep, a small smile gracing his features. Brian walked over and gently took him to place him in his car seat.

“You’re quite good with him. I’m proud of you.” Kevin said placing a hand on AJ’s shoulder. AJ smiled. “Someone needed to learn how to change a diaper.” AJ said laughing as Brian glared at him.

Kevin smiled watching the interaction between the two. He could clearly see everything by the way that Brian and AJ interacted with each other. He could clearly see how much they both cared for each other. It was a shame that they couldn’t move past the shit that happened and move on with their lives together. He noticed Nick glaring at them from where he stood in the corner. Something had been bothering him lately, he just hadn’t had time to figure out what it was, but he would, and soon.