- Text Size +
They took the elevator downstairs and met the van outside. Nick closed his eyes and shook his head. If Baylee didn’t stop crying soon he was surely going to lose it. Nick helped Brian into the van and settled in himself. He called Kevin from his cell phone and told him what was going on. Once that was done they settle back as quietly as they could with Baylee still crying.

“You really care about him don’t you?” Nick asked closing his eyes and looking away from Brian.

“More than anything in the world.”

Brian let the words slip before he even realized what he was saying. Those thoughts and feelings were so natural to him he had a hard time keeping them in when questioned directly about them. Nick opened his eyes and peered at Brian closely. Brian could feel his face flush and knew he should have kept his mouth shut.

“You love him don’t you?” Nick questioned softly.

Brian sighed and turned to look at Nick. “It’s more complicated than that Nick, but yes, I love him. I’ve loved him for a rather long time.”

The van pulled up in front of the hospital breaking their conversation. Nick jumped out of the van and helped Brian and Baylee out after him. Once inside they were directed to a waiting room where they could wait comfortably until a doctor could see them. They got situated in the hard chairs and tired to make small talk, but Baylee’s crying made it difficult. They waited for more than twenty minutes before the door opened and the rest of the guys filed in. Brian’s heart leapt as soon as he saw AJ enter the room. He had been on edge before praying that AJ got there soon. Not that he had anything against Nick’s company, but he was scared, and all he wanted was AJ beside him.

AJ crossed the room and took a seat beside Brian throwing an arm around his shoulders before Brian sagged against him. He squeezed Brian too him lightly and dropped a kiss on the side of his head. He had been a nervous wreck when he got back to the hotel and found out what was going on. He could kick himself for not suggesting they go to the emergency room earlier.

“How long has he been crying for?” Howie asked wincing slightly. Brian smiled at his friend’s discomfort. He had no idea how Howie ever planned to be a father. “He hasn’t stopped since we got him back after the concert.” Howie shook his head and rubbed his temples.

“How long have you been waiting for?” Kevin asked glancing at the clock. “For more than a half hour,” Nick said rolling his eyes. Kevin nodded and stepped out of the room in search of a doctor. The rest of the guys remained in the room trying not to let the cries affect them too much.

Five minutes later Kevin returned with a doctor in tow. He introduced himself and quickly read over the chart the nurses had prepared. He asked Brian to hold Baylee still and quickly checked over him before smiling. “It’s an ear infection. Babies don’t understand what’s going on or how to deal with the pain in their ears so all they do is cry. I’ll get you some ear drops and a prescription and you’ll be on your way.” The doctor said smiling before slipping from the room.

Brian relaxed back against AJ thrilled that there was nothing seriously wrong with Baylee. AJ hugged Brian close to him and tried to resist the urge to kiss him. Brian smiled against the other man’s chest before pulling away and looking at the other guys.

“Thanks for helping me Nick. It really means a lot to me.” Brian said smiling up at his friend. Nick nodded and smiled. They gathered their things and followed Kevin out of the room and down to the nurses desk.

“Hey AJ, can I talk to you for a second?” Nick asked falling back and allowing the others to go ahead. AJ nodded but remained skeptical. He wasn’t in any mood to deal with Nick’s shit. He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I’m really sorry about the way that I have been acting lately. I know I was being an asshole and I want to apologize. I guess I was just jealous at the fact that Brian returns your feelings and all I get from Kevin is lectures and angry looks. I enjoyed the time that we spent together, but let’s just chalk it up to two friends helping each other out. I don’t want it to mess with our friendship.” Nick said sincerely.

AJ stopped listening to everything Nick said after he said Brian returned his feelings. He had to be messing around, trying to get a reaction out of him. He eyed Nick closely before he spoke. “What do you mean Nick?” he asked pointedly.

“I mean we should just move on and not be umcom…”

“No Nick, about Brian, what did you mean about Brian?” AJ asked pushing himself off of the wall so that he was standing directly in front of Nick.

Nick looked at AJ before realizing he probably should not have said that Brian returned his feelings. Obviously that was something that AJ was unaware of. “Umm I just meant that I think he likes you too.” Nick said sheepishly.

AJ glared at him before turning and walking down the hallway. He stopped and looked back at Nick. “We’re cool. Everything is alright.” He said before scampering off to catch up with the others. Nick watched him go unsure of whether or not he had totally messed things up with Brian and AJ or not.

“Hey Nick, mind if we ride back together?” Kevin asked coming around the corner. Nick smiled as Kevin threw an arm over his shoulders. “Sounds good to me.” Nick said beaming up at him.

~*~
AJ sat quietly in the van on the way back to the hotel. He had helped Brian hold Baylee down until they could successfully get the drops in his ears. He had calmed down significantly, but he still remained pretty crabby. He curled up in AJ’s arms and drifted off to sleep, bringing peace and calm to everyone on the van. AJ leaned back in his seat trying to sort out his emotions.

He wasn’t sure how to react to what Nick had said. Was it really possible that Brian could feel the same way, finally? He tried to act interested in whatever it was that Howie was saying, but his thoughts were completely somewhere else. How was he supposed to act? Should he say something to Brian or drop hints so that Brian would say something to him?

He was unsure of what to do, but he knew he had to come up with some kind of idea quick before he drove himself crazy worrying about something he may or may not even have to worry about in the first place.