- Text Size +
Kevin laid stretched out on the couch in the lounge enjoying the peace and quiet that being on the road brought. He was absentmindedly watching some cartoon show on television and trying to get his mind to think of anything besides the blonde in the other room. That was definitely easier said than done. He yawned and leaned back further into the couch, content in his surroundings. He had missed this more than he had even realized. This was his life, this was where he belonged. He couldn’t believe he had allowed Kristen to manipulate him into leaving.

His attention shifted to the doorway as he saw Nick stumble into the lounge. He smiled at Kevin and made his way to the kitchen for something to drink. Kevin smiled back. Nick’s hair was stuck up every which way, a clear indication that he had just woken up. He had never looked more beautiful to Kevin then he did right now. Kevin had to bite back a sigh and pretend that he wasn’t staring at the beautiful man before him. He closed his eyes briefly trying to calm his emotions.

Nick grabbed a can of soda and turned to glance at the TV. He opened the can and downed half of it in one gulp before he had even reached the lounge again. “Cartoons!” he yelped before he plopped himself down on the couch beside Kevin. Kevin smiled at the blonde and resisted the urge to lean over and kiss him. He sat up a bit to make room for the blonde on the couch.

Nick looked at Kevin curiously. “When did you start watching cartoons Kevin?” Nick asked his eyes wide with question. Kevin never used to watch cartoons. He barely watched television and when he did it was usually movies the rest of the guys had forced him to watch or the news, never something as frivolous as cartoons. Kevin smiled shyly. “Just something I started watching while I was gone.” He said softly. He had no intention of ever telling Nick that he had started watching cartoons when being with Kristen got to be too much and he missed Nick more than anything. Sometimes the animated characters softened the blow of not being able to be with him.

Nick smiled and snuggled down into the couch and leaned against Kevin. Kevin smiled down at him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. Nick leaned in closer to the older man. They had hardly been around each other since Kevin had come back. They used to have time to hang out together all the time, but they hadn’t been alone at all since Kevin had returned. “I missed you a lot.” Nick said softly after a few moments, finally voicing how he really felt.

It broke Kevin’s heart to hear the words fall from Nick’s mouth. He sounded so…haunted when he spoke them. He hated the fact that he had hurt the younger man with his departure. Out of everyone he knew Nick would take it the hardest. Kevin knew Nick looked up to him and would ultimately never understand Kevin’s reasons for leaving. He pulled Nick closer to him. “I missed you too Nicky.” Kevin said gently, kissing the top of the younger man’s head. They quietly went back to watching the cartoon show.

It was going to be one hell of a long night. They were driving halfway across the freaking country to get to California for a special benefit concert they had agreed to participate in. The only problem was it was nowhere near their current tour stops, which meant they had to drive all the way there, throwing their entire schedule off track. It also meant they were stuck on the buses for a day and a half. They had all settled in the best that they could but they all knew it would only be a matter of time before they all became restless.

“What is this show?” Kevin asked after a while. He totally didn’t understand the concept or just what it was going on. Nick giggled beside him. “It’s Aqua Teen Hunger Force Kevvy. They are grown up cartoons.” Nick said smiling cheekily up at the older man. Kevin shook his head and grinned back. “That’s such an oxymoron Nick.” He said smiling. Nick smiled back, looking even more adorable than he did before and Kevin couldn’t take it anymore. He moved quickly and began tickling the other man digging his fingers into Nick’s sides causing him to shriek and giggle while trying to squirm away from him. They shifted and squirmed, tickling each other all over the couch. After a few moments they were out of breath from laughing and screaming and settled back onto the couch. Nick stretched out and laid down, lightly placing his head in Kevin’s lap. Kevin tenderly ran his fingers through the blonde locks, quietly relishing the time they got to spend together.

They grew quiet again, both content in being near each other. Nick smiled and closed his eyes. He loved when Kevin played with his hair. Having Kevin softly rubbing his head while running his fingers through his hair was soothing and Nick found himself relaxing fully against the older man. “I’m glad Kristen’s gone and you could come back to me.” Nick said softly twisting a ring he had on his finger.

The words stopped Kevin’s hands making him smile. He once again resisted the urge to lean down and show Nick just how much he had missed him. Nick was saying all of the things that Kevin had always longed to hear come from the younger man. He only wished he was saying these things in a more than just best friends sort of way. They sat quietly watching the cartoons and enjoying each other’s company. Nick gazed up at Kevin’s beautiful face and longed to spill every secret he had ever kept from the other man. He longed to tell Kevin how he felt but knew it would only end in disappointment.

~*~
Nick woke up with the sun shining down on him through the windows of the bus. He yawned and stretched before he hit something solid and realized he was still lying on top of Kevin. He smiled and snuggled back down pretending to stay asleep. He never got to be this close to Kevin and knowing that they had spent all night, curled up against each other, made Nick smile even more. Kevin stirred slightly and wrapped his arm around Nick, pulling him tighter against him. Nick’s grin got wider as he inhaled Kevin’s scent and drifted back off to sleep.