- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
As I said, major plot change.
The only thing that broke the silence, was the ticking of the squared analog clock.

The tension was so intense, they were scared to break the bone crushing silence. Afraid that one person will say the wrong thing, do the wrong action. Maybe the worst thing was saying nothing in first place? Nick stayed in place, didn’t bother to move a muscle, he sat there, back lodged against the curved sleigh of the beds frame. Leigh-Anna was sat comfortably next to him, knees brought up to her stomach, her head was rested against his shoulder and his arm was wrapped around her with care. Or maybe, could it ever so possibly be? That no one dared to move because, the truth would possibly screech the moments they were having lately, to an abrupt halt?

It started to get tiring, not talking, for once saying nothing, at the risk of the truth staying hidden, and that wasn’t something he wanted. If he and Leigh-Anna had a possible chance again, he had to action, and he had to know. “Wow. This isn’t the easiest thing in the world now is it? So, why don’t we start with the little thing, like, why did you decide to become a nurse?”

She lifted her head off his shoulder and her face was scrunched in confusion. “I didn’t get a degree in nursing. I got my degree in Education. Who told you that?”

“Brian. I recall him saying that you were a nurse on the medical team a couple weeks ago.” He said, confused.

“Oh okay! I think I know why he did that though, he must’ve gotten mixed up with me and Carla, the trainee, she looks a lot like me, thanks to my brown hair.” She said, holding up and piece of her dyed locks. Sighing looking at her much darkened hair. “I don’t know why I did it, I want my blonde back.” Random Leigh-Anna starts to take over. Oh great.

Nick chuckled and tucked a piece behind her head. “Then go back to the way you had it. So what do you teach, or what will you teach when you get a job?”

“Science, History and English.”

Nick’s eyes widened, she learnt that much in that short amount of time. Wow, something else he missed, her progress with her education. And that’s something that he blamed her for, but he shook his head quickly, if he wanted this to turn out for the better, he was going to have to forget about the past. Easier said than done. “Holy shit. Leigh-Anna that’s a lot of things to teach kids, what possessed you to go into that?”

“Simple. I like kids, but not babies and children, but I like teenagers because they’re easier to get along with if you know how they think. And I just love the concept of teaching other kids what you’ve learned throughout you’re life, and making them better at school.” Leigh-Anna explained her theory to him about educating others, leaving her with a smile in her face. “I was gone for four years, and I stayed in school during the summer months when most of the students took time off, but it got me home quicker and I got my masters degree all the much quicker too!”

“That’s great! I always knew you’d amount to something big and important.” He smiled, she smiled warmly and cuddled into his shoulder, the wide smile that was smacked onto her lips refusing to leave. The next thing Nick felt, was Leigh-Anna roll on top on his chest and looked into deep into his eyes, he narrowed in on her and kissed her drastically, his lips swirling around her mouth. He didn’t expect how passion filled the kiss would get, and how emotional it would get. By the end, when Leigh-Anna pulled away, she had tears in her eyes, the glistening wet water shimmering down her face and a light thickening stream shimming on her eye lids. He cupped her face with his hand, using his thumbs to push away the tears. “Baby girl don’t cry.”

“Nick, I can’t help it! When you said that it made me feel home, being in your arms and kissing you, makes me feel at home. But I know once I get the nerve to tell you what I’ve done, you’re not going to want anything to do with me.” Leigh-Anna sobbed, looking at him with tortured eyes. Damn, exactly how hard was it to keep that secret of hers?

“Leigh-Anna I highly doubt that, whatever it is, it can’t really be that bad. I mean, it’s not like you killed someone or anything.” He said, she trembled at the words, got off the bed and stared blankly out the window. Silence washed over him and he looked at her back mysteriously. Had she killed someone, and kept it a secret? But if it was for a good reason then why was she so emotional about it? And what in god’s name would it have to do with him?

He slowly got off the bed and paced himself, he knew the truth would come out tonight, no matter how much it would hurt him. He placed his hands on her should, and whirled her around gently, looking at her deep in the eyes, keeping his hands lightly gripped on the woman’s shoulder. “Leigh-Anna, just tell me, what happened and who was killed?”

Every time the word ‘kill’ came out of his mouth, she’d cry harder and harder, tears we’re glistening down her face, much like a narrow river. He couldn’t help but shake her a bit to try and get the truth out, and raise his voice. “Leigh-Anna! Easy now baby girl, just tell me, who was killed?”

Leigh-Anna broke free of his grip, good thing she was fully clothes he guessed, if it wasn’t for her blue tank top and black shorts, she’d be running out with no clothes on. But what was screamed out of her mouth before she ran out there crying, left him in a state of utter shock.

“Your baby Nick!”