- Text Size +
Chapter 3
“I wish you would stay longer.” I gave LeighAnne a hug and smiled as I pulled away.

“I know, and I’m sorry. But it’s already after 12, and I have to get up pretty early in the morning. I have a radio interview to do and than a meeting with my editor, so, I have to be wide eyed awake.”

“Thank you for coming Theresa.” I turned to Brian and gave him a hug.

“Thank you for inviting me. I had a blast.”

“And I am sorry about Howie.”

“Really, no worries. I’m sure he thinks I’m someone else. Just let it go.”

“Okay, okay. So, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Promise.” With that, I waved as I walked out the door. I made my way over to my car, hearing someone call out my name. I turned, and saw AJ running over.

“You’re leaving without saying goodbye?”

“You were busy.”

“Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to say goodbye.” He shoved his hands in his pockets and grinned.

“Has anyone told you, you’re just too adorable?”

“That might be a first.” I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“Thank you. Tonight was all the more enjoyable because of you.”

“Can I call you?”

“I would like that.” He quickly pulled out his phone and entered the number I gave him.

“What are you doing tomorrow? Or, rather this afternoon?” He asked as he glanced at the time on his phone.

“An interview than a meeting. After that, I’m free.”

“Does lunch sound okay?”

“I usually like lunch. Are you asking for a date here?”

“Maybe, if it’s not being to forward.”

“No, it’s not. And lunch is nice. But, I do gotta go, although, I wouldn’t mind standing out here and talking for the rest of the night.” That made his grin even wider. “Good night AJ.”

“Night. Be safe.”

“I promise.” With that, I got in my car, feeling another pair of eyes on me. I glanced toward the entrance, seeing Nick leaning against the wall, watching the exchange between AJ and me. I shivered once more as I started up the engine and quickly drove away.

-----
I wrapped up my meeting with my editor and made it out my car, sighing as I slid in and just rested. Damn, this morning was certainly a long day. I glanced at my phone seeing that I had missed a message from Alex. I checked it, and smiled as he sent me a text just to say he couldn’t stop thinking about me. I hit the reply, and started typing, when I stopped. It would just be so much more fun to call. I quickly hit the button and heard his call back tone, laughing at it. That was too much. He quickly picked up and I could hear the smile already.

“Hey there.”

“The Call?”

“Pardon?”

“Your call back song, is The Call?” He laughed at that.

“Guilty. I just think it’s perfect.”

“It is. I just got your message. Thank you. That was sweet.”

“It’s the truth you know.” I bit my lip and could feel the heat already on my cheeks. “So, done already?”

“Yup. Just finished with my editor.”

“Great. Want to meet up somewhere?”

“Yeah, that might be easier.”

“Sweet. I know this great little Mexican place, if that’s okay?”

“It’s fine. What’s it called?”

“Coco Loco’s.”

“That’s also a night club. I’ve always wanted to try it.”

“See you there in like twenty?” I quickly pulled my phone away and glanced at the time.

“Yeah, it’ll take me about that long to get there. See you.” With that, I quickly slapped my phone shut, glanced at myself in the mirror and groaned. My make up was still half way decent, but my hair was horrible. But, I didn’t have to time to fix it. And oh well. Either he got me as is or not at all.

-----
“So, you are a Christian yet not a good girl?” I shrugged as I popped a chip into my mouth.

“Who said that believing meant you had to be a good girl? I may have a devil inside.” AJ chocked on his soda and I had to chuckle. “Didn’t mean to make you choke there.”

“No, it’s okay. I’m starting to think that’s my favorite quality about you.”

“Oh, that I’m a bad girl wrapped up in a good girl package?” AJ just glanced at me, giving me that famous smirk.

“Yeah, maybe something like that.” I shook my head and sipped my tea. “What made you believe?”

“Oh, um, I wasn’t leading a very good life. I was a thief, stole quite a few things, got caught once, wasn’t pretty. But, I wanted things I couldn’t get, so the easiest way for me was to steal them. I’m not talking thousand’s of dollars worth of stuff, but it wouldn’t be hard for me to snag someone’s chain or bracelet. Or even someone’s wallet. It’s really interesting, the day I got caught. The guy who caught me, he was funny. But he had these really intense green eyes that I think saw everything and anything. He knew what I was doing was stupid, and it was going to lead me into some really bad stuff, so he sorta befriended me. Than, I had some serious family issues, and had to go home. It was there that I think I started to believe. I had broken into someone’s house for only the second time, and it was a pastor’s house. I didn’t steal anything, I was just caught breaking in, but he sat me down, explained to me that things I was going after wasn’t going to matter. End of story. Now, I share that good news and hope it helps others.”

“Wow. Bad girl gone good.” I laughed and shook my head.

“That devil is still in there, you know.”

“Oh, I can see that.”

“Can you now?”

“Mmhmm. Also wishing that he might come out and play while I’m around.”