- Text Size +
Chapter 8
Kevin grabbed my arm and led me slightly further away.

“Did you think I would say something? If ya didn’t notice, I didn’t say anything in front of AJ.”

“I know, and I’m so very grateful. For some unknown reason, I didn’t think it was the same Kevin, so no one here knows that I know you. And, if I’m being honest, I never thought I’d see you again.”

“I never thought I’d see you either. And, don’t worry, I won’t mention it to anyone how I know you.”

“It’s not that Kevin, I’m not ashamed of my past, and you’re part of my past. I was young, you were younger, and things changed, we’ve changed. Well, maybe not, you’re still as handsome as ever.”

“You’re still just as beautiful. Although, AJ has given you a certain glow, that’s really making you very breath taking.” I pulled my lip between my teeth, not knowing how I was going to get through this. Part of my still yearned for Kevin, and I had thought that part was long since dead.

“Look, Kevin…” He held his hand up and shook his head.

“It’s the past, Theresa. I don’t regret it anymore than you do. But, how about we leave it there? You’re one of my best friend’s girls, and I wouldn’t want to break that up. Besides, I’m married, and we all know AJ needs a good girl for once.” With that, he turned and walked back over to Nick. He picked up his little boy and I took a deep breath. Those words felt like they knocked the wind right out of me. I had the chance to make him happy, I had…I shook my head of those thoughts. The past was the past, it had to stay there. Right now, there was AJ, whom I was really starting to like. I turned around, seeing Howie leaning against the sliding glass door, his eyes trained on me. He shook his head, turned around and went back to the small little group inside.

-----
“When do you guys go back in the studio?” I sipped my soda, not really having any appetite, which is something that AJ picked up on.

“We have a couple more days off, I think.” Everyone glanced at Nick.

“Dude, do you ever know anything for sure?” The blonde man only shrugged, causing everyone to laugh.

“We go back in Tuesady. Why, thinking of coming back?” Howie smiled, knowing that Kevin was out, although, they would always welcome him with open arms.

“Maybe.” All eyes opened wide and glanced at him. “What?”

“I thought you wanted to concentrate on your family, cos?”

“Well, Kristin and I aren’t in the best of relationships. Sides, I’ve seen the shows, ya’ll need some help.”

“Thanks for the vote.”

“Come on AJ, I’m only picking on ya. But, if you all would have me, I sure wouldn’t mind singing a song or two.”

“Or 12. Ya know all of us would want you back man.” Inside, I was dying. If Kevin rejoined the Backstreet family, I just couldn’t stand to be around him. I had to smile to myself at that thought. Out of the five guys now, I was going to be avoiding three of them like the plague, not a good idea.

“What’s so funny?” AJ whispered, letting his hand settle on my leg.

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“Later, honey.” He threw me a wink and I shook my head, letting my eyes fall in the direction of Kevin, who currently had one hell of an irritated look in those eyes.