- Text Size +
Chapter 11

“Hiya AJ.”

“Hey sweetie.” He flashed a grin at Terri, but his gaze held mine.

“Well, that’s my cue to leave. I’ll call you later Resa.” I nodded my head, still unable to tear my gaze away. “Don’t anyone move, I’ll see myself out.” And that ended the staring contest. I gave her a quick hug.

“Thank you.”

“My pleasure. Just remember what I said. Night you two.” With that, she went back into the building and I heard the door close after a few seconds.

“I better go lock it.” I past by him and walked over to my front door, taking the time to compose myself. I swiped a hand down my face and turned, finding Alex right behind me.

“Hi.”

“Hi. Want anything to drink?” He shook his head and smiled. Damn, infectious much? I smiled back and he grabbed my hand, his thumb running over the back of my hand.

“I think we need to talk.” ‘Oh shit,’ my mind screamed at me.

“I’m thinking you might be a little on the right side for once.” He walked over to the couch, tugging me along after him. I sat down and he sat on the edge of my coffee table, both of his hands holding onto mine.

“I owe you an apology. I might have blown up a tad the other night. I should have made a mention of Samantha before. But, she really broke my heart and it’s just not a memory I want to constantly bring up.”

“I can understand that. But, I guess what hurts the most is we had talked about our ex’s, and she just wasn’t one that was mentioned. It must have been rather serious for you to ask for her hand?”

“It was. I thought it was, at least. She agreed, but maybe the stress of everything that was going on in my life was too much on her.”

“I’m sorry Alex.” He smiled, and he eyes stared into mine. Damn, those eyes were just so gorgeous. It wasn’t fair!

“So, do I get the story?”

“I was on a cruise, with my mom, and I wasn’t aware who was on the boat, until actually the last night when I was in the club. I meet Howie, danced with him, flirted with him, but that was it. I meet his wife and his would be sister in law that same night, but they left him, for he got in a heated fight with Leigh. Maybe I was just the person to make him feel slightly better.” I shrugged, really hoping he would buy that and just let it go because I couldn’t gaze into those eyes anymore and go on lying.

“That’s it?”

“Okay, maybe a kiss or two. But that was it. And at that point in time, he wasn’t married. It was stupid, but it was my moment of star filled lust,” I said, laughing.

“And you feel nothing for him?” I held his gaze, my hand closing over one of his cheeks. Slowly, I shook my head, not trusting my voice to answer that question. “You sure?”

“Of course I’m sure, Alex. You’re my world now, you know this. I want you happy and healthy.”

“You know, I’m not all too sure what would happen if I lost your strength.”

“What do you mean?”

“Those first few weeks in rehab were hard. You know, you were there longer than me. But, it was your friendship that finally helped me, made things even a tad easier. And afterwards, it’s your love that showed me that people outside of my small group of friends and family still love me, are still willing to care for me. It’s that strength, devotion, care and concern that I love most about you.” I swallowed the lump in my throat. Don’t get me wrong on this account, I loved Alex. And I was beyond worried about what could happen if we split. I really liked to think he was strong enough he didn’t need me, but, after hearing that, I wasn’t all too sure.

“I’ll be here for you Alex, you know this baby.” I leaned forward, my lips pressing against his, my arms wrapping around his neck, my fingers entangling themselves in his hair. And he kissed me back, with just as much as passion.

-----
I closed my eyes, three hours later; my head resting on his chest, his steady heart beat lulling me to sleep. His fingers trailed up and down my arm, but sleep wasn’t easily acquired for him tonight. Oh, he longed for it. Three hours of some rather intense love making was even insane on his account, and when he should be closing his eyes, he just couldn’t. Those recent activities, in fact, is what kept him up. And it wasn’t actually the act, for that was some of their best, it was what she mumbled. Although, it was faint, but his ears were attuned to her sounds, her moans, her sighs and cries, so, it wasn’t hard to pick up on what she had uttered. And though he didn’t want to think about that, because that was a good foundation to believe she had lied to him. What was eating him, actually, was the name she said. It wasn’t Alex, or AJ or even J. Nope, this was straight up Howie.