- Text Size +
Chapter 13

“Lying?” I let my gaze wander over to Howie, trying so very hard not to let any emotion show that he was there. Howie nodded and smiled and I returned it.

“I’m going to let you two talk, I’ll talk to you later man.” With that, Howie left, closing the door softly behind him.

“Lying, Alex? I’m lying?”

“Resa…”

“No, at this point in time, do not let that name pass your lips. I can’t believe you think I’m lying.”

“Forgive me if I’m not finding what you told me to be the truth here.”

“Why?”

“That night, you called his name!”

“I didn’t call his name, Alex. I called…” I stopped, remembering that it might have passed on a whisper. “No.”

“I heard it.”

“If you did, it wasn’t passionate. Certainly not like when I call your name, is it?”

“That’s not the point!”

“You’re wrong. And, if I did, what would it mean? Please, tell me.”

“You were thinking about him!”

“Your flippin ass kidding, AJ. We were talking about him, but no, I wasn’t thinking about him! My word, I’m with you. Only you. It’s only you I think about it.”

“You’ve lied to your family, would it be that hard to lie to me?” I walked right over to him and slapped him.

“That was a low ass blow McLean.” I turned on my heel and walked out of his house, catching the car across the street.

-----
I turned my car off, glancing in my mirror as Howie’s car pulled into an empty parking space. I grabbed my purse, debating if I should even talk to him. I sighed, closing my door and making my way over to D’s car. I leaned into the open window and smiled at him.

“So, you can stay in here all day or would you rather come in?”

“Isn’t that private domain?”

“Yes, but I’m being nice. Is that a yes or no? Cause either way it makes no never mind to me.”

“I better come up. We have to talk.” I started to walk away but turned to look at him as he got out.

“Talk? We have nothing to talk about.” I walked up the stairs and opened my door, throwing my purse and cell phone on the table. “Would you like anything?”

“No.”

“Fine. What’s on your mind?”

“AJ.”

“Big surprise there, D. What about AJ?”

“Are you going to tell him the truth?” I nodded my head, and walked over to my pictures on the wall, seeing the latest one of AJ and I.

“Have you ever had a relationship with someone not because you loved them, but because it was the right thing to do?”

“Yes. It’s a miserable existence.”

“I love Alex, I won’t deny that. But, every once in a while, he plays the jerk role rather well.”

“He’s AJ, it’s what he does. But that doesn’t answer my question.”

“He annoys me, he pushes me, he ticks me off, but I can’t bear to see harm come to him at my hand. And I know that’s not making sense to you. But, it’s the best way that I can explain why I won’t tell him the truth. If he found out, he would feel betrayed. He would kick your ass and probably mine as well. But, it goes beyond that. No, Howie, I won’t ever tell him the truth.”

“So, you won’t tell him for your sake?”

“No, not for mine. If he knew, he would always wonder if I still had feelings for you.”

“Do you?” Oh, hell, why did I mention that? I guess I didn’t think D would honestly ask that. I swallowed and turned from his gaze. “Do you?”

“Howie…”

“It’s an easy question, Theresa.”

“I..I…I can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t? Or you won’t?” He walked over to me, his eyes holding mine.

“I can’t.” His hands grabbed my upper arms. “Do you?”

“Yes, I do. But I want you to admit, damn it!” My eyes opened wide, shocked was not something I would describe my emotions right now.

“I do, Howie. I know I shouldn’t, and Lord forgive me, but I do.” His eyes searched mine, feeling the longing within him. Those brown eyes of hers held him captive once more and it was like he was back on the cruise. He could admit it, at least, those were eyes he lost himself in and they ensnared him last time as well. He drew her closer, longing for a kiss. He could do it and no one would know right? Just them, was it so bad, so hard? But the sun light caught on his wedding band, blinding him, and damn it all to hell, that was his wake up call. He quickly released her, his hand running down his face as he raced out the door. Shit, he was about to kiss a woman that wasn’t his wife! He had to admit it; those feelings for Resa were running a lot deeper than he ever thought.