- Text Size +
Chapter 15
I rolled my eyes, my body stiffening up, and Terri, the ever wonderful best friend, noticed it instantly. She glanced at me, than glanced behind me and noticed the problem. I grabbed onto AJ’s hand even tighter as the trio drew closer.

“Leigh, Sam, Howie, what a pleasure. Didn’t know you all were coming.” I glanced over at AJ who merely shrugged. Somewhere in the pit of my stomach, I felt a damn good set up. “Let me introduce my best friend, Terri. Terri, this is Howie, his wife Leigh, and her sister, Samantha, but she goes by Sam.”

“She has friends?” Howie glared at Sam and yet, mentally, I had to shake my head. Some things just never changed over time.

“Sam, be nice. Terri, it’s a pleasure.”

“Nice to meet you both.” I had to give props to my girl, I knew her well enough to know she didn’t let much slide. It just showed she cared about not making a scene. We headed inside and over to a corner booth. I felt a squeeze on my hand and turned to AJ, his eyes trying to convey the message of reassurance. I smiled, pretending that I trusted him, or even better yet, that I trusted myself.

“Hey, Alex, you’re gonna save me a dance, right?” I turned to Terri and rolled my eyes. The more I heard that woman speak, the more she really irritated the hell out of me.

“That’s all on Resa and if she doesn’t mind.”

“Resa doesn’t get the say so in this, AJ, I do. Since I get the first dance, and they’re playing my song. So, let’s go.” I took the spot next to Howie, shaking my head as Terri dragged my boyfriend out on the floor. I listened as Leigh asked Howie a question, than grabbed Sam’s arm and lead her away.

“Did you want something to drink?”

“No, I’m fine for now.” I glanced over at Howie than sighed. “Wanna explain why you’re here?”

“Got a phone call from a friend. Said he wanted to party, so invited me along.”

“Would that be AJ?”

“Actually Nick. Who should be here soon.”

“Ah, I see. Did you have to bring Sam?” Howie closed his eyes, his fingers tapping lightly on the table top.

“She’s family, Theresa, I can’t stop her. And it’s rude not to invite her. Sides, she’s all but attached to Leigh’s hip.”

“So I noticed.” I glanced out at AJ and Terri, finally facing the truth that I needed to ask the question. “Why is Sam trying to get back with AJ?”

“Because he’s happy once more, he’s whole again, with a huge thanks to you.” He opened his mouth to say something, than thought better of it.

“What?”

“The specifics of their relationship were not something we all knew. I know he loved her, and up until a certain point, she loved him. But somehow, she fell out of love, and that sent him even more into the shell that he had formed. She swears up and down that it wasn’t her that pushed him over, but there’s a few other guys who don’t trust her.”

“And yet, here you are, along with your friends, allowing her back into this mix with open arms?”

“It’s not like that. AJ has you, Theresa.” He swallowed hard. “You’re there to keep him grounded, to keep him sane.”

“Right, under my wing he won’t ruin himself.”

“AJ loves you. Don’t make it sound like the only reason he’s with you is because he needs your strength.”

“Oh, I know he does, he’s told me enough.”

“But?”

“But right after it comes the part of him saying he doesn’t know what he’ll do if he ever lost my strength.” I turned my gaze to the napkin that was sitting in front of me and started to play with it. “You know, I’m not all too sure if any man I’ve ever been with every wanted me, for me, or for the things that I could for them.” Howie’s fingers inched under my chin and turned my gaze to his, his eyes searching mine.

“Come with me.”

“Where to?” His hand was already around my arm before I get the question out.

“Somewhere.”

-----
“So, AJ,” Terri started, her arms wrapping around his neck, “wanna tell me about Sam.”

“Not on your life.”

“Than let me state something right off the bat. I may have just met her, but I know what she’s doing. I can see the game she’s playing. She’s trying to dig her claws into you again.”

“Interesting for you to say. Why do you say that? She had her chance and blew it. I want nothing to do with her like that.”

“Because I’ve seen her type before Alex. She wants what she can’t have. Theresa makes you happy, and to a girl like that, that’s a rather huge slap in the face. Especially, since Theresa doesn’t even fit in the category of your type.”

“I think you’re worrying over nothing. Sam is beautiful, I won’t deny that. And yes, there’s a history between the two of us. But Sam is not the one I want to be with. I love Theresa, and you know this.”

“Oh, I know. And I know it’s not fear of me that keeps you there.” He smiled and she grinned. “But, for real, AJ, be careful. Sam is one of those women that is more conniving than people give them credit for. I know; I’ve seen it enough times.”

“Oh, yes, I hurt your friend, you hurt me.”

“Well, you would have to answer to me if Theresa gets her heart broken. Believe me; I have no problem kicking your skinny ass.”

“You have nothing to worry over.” Terri searched his eyes, praying that what he said was real.

“I better not, Alex.”

“Excuse me, may I cut in?” Both AJ and Terri pulled apart slightly, seeing a smiling Sam before them. AJ glanced at Terri and Terri shrugged.

“Let me find my girl. It’s bad enough that she didn’t get the first dance.”

“She left. I think to the lady’s room.” AJ’s eyes did a quick scan of the room before landing back on Sam. He felt Terri squeeze his arm.

“It’s okay.” She leaned over and gave him a peck on the cheek. “Remember what I said, I don’t like to repeat myself.” She smiled, than turned and made her back to the table. Sam pressed herself up against AJ as she slide her arms around his neck, her mouth inches from his.