- Text Size +
Chapter 3
“So, who’s gonna tell us this story?” I turned away from Howie and looked at Alex.

“What?”

“They’re your friend’s sweetie.”

“It’s not my story.” I sighed. Damn, that man tested my nerve.

“I met Alex in rehab.”

“Like a therapist?” Howie asked.

“No. I was in there myself.” The rest of the guys looked shocked.

“What happened?” I smiled as Kevin slapped Nick on the back of the head.

“You don’t ask that man.”

“Really, it’s okay. Actually, in there, they encourage you to talk about it. It helps heal the wounds. I’ve done some pretty stupid things in my life, but I think getting into drinking was really the worst. I had lost my grandmother, and than my mother, months from each other. They were the most important things in my world. Than I lost my job, my house, everything I knew or cared about. My life had gone to hell in matter of six months, so I found the only solace I knew, the bottom of a bottle. It would be nothing for me to finish six, seven, even sometimes eight bottles a day. I would charge it, maxed out what little credit cards I had. And drugs, they weren’t my problem. But one night, I had gotten a little coke, thought I would shoot up, what would it hurt? I was at the bottom with really no hope of getting back up to the top again. But, on top of being drunk off of seven bottles of various liquors, I found it didn’t mesh really well. I don’t remember what happened that night, at least not past the part of my using the drug, but three days later, I came out of the comma, and found out that my niece had been severely beaten. That was two years ago and I can’t forgiven myself for what happened. She has, so has my brother, but I can’t. Not sure I ever will be able to. But, my family tossed me into rehab, and I’ve been there ever since.” I glanced around, all eyes on me and all mouths dropped open. Yeah, it certainly wasn’t a story I really didn’t like to share and would have wanted Alex to tell them, but oh well.

“Wow.” I chuckled.

“It’s a mood killer.” That caused them to grin.

“No offense, but Alex was in a well to do place.”

“I know. So was I. When my mom passed, I had quite a bit of money, lucky for me, when I was on my drinking binge, I forgot about it. When Alex came in, I knew who he was, and I wanted nothing to do with him. I even told all our teachers that. They felt that I would be the best example for him.”

“And she has.”

“Yeah, no one else seemed to kick his ass in gear.” I smiled at Nick but turned my eyes to Alex.

“I know what destruction alcohol and drugs cause. If I can help someone else, believe me, I’ll try my best to help ‘em out.”

“Well, Alex, I congratulate you than. It seems like you found a good girl to finally take care of you.” My eyes jumped to Howie’s, and deep within, I saw he didn’t really mean that comment.