- Text Size +
Chapter 4
“See, they weren’t bad.” I turned to look at Alex before I unlocked my front door and let him in.

“Why did you not tell them, Alex?” He sighed as he made his way into my living room and sat down on the couch.

“What does it matter? They know it now.”

“It’s kind of a big deal. I’m not like your ex’s here.”

“I know that, and now they know that.”

“But they should have already known that. Maybe not my whole story, yeah, that’s mine alone to tell. Wouldn’t you deem it important to know about the guy’s way of hooking up with their loves?”

“I guess,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. I rolled my eyes as I made my way into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water. I unscrewed the lid and threw it on the counter. Damn it. For most people, that simple fact probably wouldn’t bother them. But, to me, it was as if he was embarrassed. Sure, he had problems, the world knew it. But it wasn’t the coolest thing to be dating someone who had the same issues. And these were his best friends; you would honestly think he would tell them. “Don’t be mad.” I glanced at him as he leaned against the doorway.

“Give me a reason not to be here.”

“I’m sorry. I just didn’t think it would bother you.”

“Are you ashamed of how you met me?”

“No. Why would you think that?”

“Because you didn’t tell anyone, Alex. Not even your mother!” His hands wrapped around my waist and I laid my head on his shoulder. “I’m not happy with my past, but I do plan on making good things come out of it.”

“I know baby, I know. And I’m not ashamed. I just thought,” he stopped, his hand grabbing the bottle of water and taking a drink out of it. “I don’t know what I thought. I’m grateful that the Lord brought you into my life, truly am. It was you who helped turn me around, you know this. I have no reason to be ashamed.” I felt his lips pressing against the side of my hair and smiled.

“I can forgive you.” He pulled away and smiled down at me.

“Promise?”

“For now.” He laughed, his head descending and his lips capturing mine.

-----
I stared at the man lying next to me, his chest rising and falling with his deep sleep. I climbed out of the bed, lifting my robe off the chair to my desk and made my way into the living room. I flicked on light before I made my way over to door, opening it and lifting the first box off the shelf down. I ran my hand over the lid, and closed my eyes, my thoughts drifting back to Alex and our love making. Alex was amazing, there was no denying that, and never did I compare him, until tonight, and tonight, he was found lacking. Although, I really shouldn’t be thinking of that stupid man, he was married and I was in a serious relationship. I lifted the lid and the first thing that caught my attention was the napkin that had his old phone number. I traced my nail over it, not having the heart to crumple it up and throw it away.

“Baby?” I turned to Alex and smiled.

“You’re supposed to be asleep.”

“So are you. I woke up though, and didn’t see you next to me. What are you doing up?”

“Nothing.” Covering the box back up and sliding it back into its place.

“Nothing, huh?”

“I was just thinking of Adrianna. I need to call her.”

“Mmhmm.”

“There are some pictures in the box of her, you know that.”

“I know. It’s been two years.”

“I know, I know. But when you can forgive yourself for hurting your friends and family, I’ll forgive myself for hurting mine.” He held his hand out I walked over to him, placing my hand in his.

“That’s not fair.” I laughed and shook my head.

“More than fair, thank you.”

“Come on, let’s go back to bed. The demons of tomorrow will be there tomorrow.”

-----
I grabbed a soda from the cooler, twisting the cap and taking a swig as I pushed my cart further in the line.

“Buying stuff for lunch?” I turned around and smiled at Howie.

“Yeah. AJ raided the last of my food.”

“He usually does.” I smiled again, not knowing what else to say.

“How’s your wife?”

“She’s, um, she’s good. Thank you.”

“That’s good.”

“Does, well, does AJ know about us?” I glanced behind me before I paid for the stuff. I made my way out to my car and quickly opened it, but a hand on my arm stopped me from getting in. “Theresa, I’m serious. AJ is not the type that will tolerate liars. Have you told him that you know me?”

“Let’s tell AJ. Let me tell him that I know you because of one night that I spent wrapped up in your sheets, screwing around until the sunrise.”