- Text Size +
Chapter 6
“AJ, Leigh needs you.” With that, D left. AJ frowned and turned to look at me.
“Was it just me or did my best friend give me a nasty look for kissing my girlfriend?” I laughed and shrugged.

“But come on though, I don’t want Leigh, or anyone she’s related to, pissed at me before I meet them.” He smiled and quickly grabbed my hand, leading me out of the kitchen and over to the dancing area that they had set up.

“Leigh, sweetie,” AJ said, placing a kiss on her cheek. He turned to the woman by her side and smiled, placing a kiss on her cheek as well. “Samantha, it’s a pleasure. Let me introduce my newest and latest girlfriend, Theresa. This is Leigh’s sister, Samantha.” I held out my hand and smiled at the shock in this woman’s eyes.

“It’s a pleasure. And I’m sorry for staring. You’re just not his type.” Inside, I was seething. Damn, was AJ only allowed to date the women that looked easy or slutty?

“So I’ve heard. Don’t worry about it.”

“Um, there’s an open bar, if you would like something stronger than your coke.”

“Thank you, but I don’t drink.” She frowned at that and threw a glance at Leigh, but Leigh was engrossed in a conversation with someone else.

“Are you too good for it or something?”

“Sam!” I turned to AJ and shook my head slightly. Inside, I was smiling. I had meet Sam once, the same time I met Leigh, and she was the same bitchy ass person I remembered. In fact, much like her sister. How very funny. Even more so that D did end up marrying Leigh and into all of this.

“No, I’m in rehab.” Maybe I shouldn’t have told her that, after all, she was like her sister, very cunning. I was positive they would find a way to use it on my later, but I wasn’t ashamed.

“Wow. Um, if you’ll excuse me. AJ, will you please help Howie move the table?” she asked, waving her hand in the direction that D was in.

“Let me help the little man and I’ll be right back.” He placed a kiss on my cheek and quickly left to help out. I sighed and made my way over to a chair.

“Did everyone leave you?” I glanced up and smiled at Nick.

“I guess so. How are you Nick?” He quickly gave me a hug as he took the seat next to mine.

“Ah, I’m good.” He glanced over at D than at me. “How do you know Howie?” I froze the drink half way to my lips.

“Pardon?”

“D sent me a text earlier, telling me to pick up something and that you were the only one who liked it. So, I’m just curious how you know him.”

“I met him, although, it was a long time ago. What did you pick up?”

“Some candy.” He held his hand out and smiled. I glanced down, and couldn’t stop the giggle that escaped as I saw the ring pop in the middle of his palm. “Kinda funny that you met him so long ago and he remembered something as tiny as this.” He dropped the candy in my hand and walked away. I laughed as I looked at the candy and than quickly tore off the wrapper and placed the ring on my finger. But, Nick was right. That was a tiny detail to remember. I licked the candy and smiled all the more, fully intending to ask Howie about it.

-----
I saw him by himself and walked over, gently nudging his arm. I pulled the ring pop of out my mouth and smiled.
“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Looks like you’re enjoying it.”

“I am. I can’t believe you actually remembered something like that.”

“I remember a lot from that night.” His eyes held mine and I could feel those tiny, stupid butterflies. ‘Not again’, my mind was screaming at me.

“Yeah, I recall a few things too.” I tried to smile, to stop those unwanted feelings, but it wasn’t happening.

“Hey there. This is where I find you.” My eyes flew to AJ’s and I smiled.

“Yup. I came to thank Howie for the candy.” AJ gave me a strange look and I showed him the ring pop. “I know, I’m different, but I totally love these things.” AJ laughed, grabbed my hand and pulled the ring pop in his mouth. “Hey, that’s mine!”

“You gotta learn to share!” Hell, it wasn’t me that was gonna be sharing!