- Text Size +
Chapter 7
My eyes opened wide as that thought filtered through my mind. No, no, No! D was with Leigh! ‘Not that that stopped you last time,’ my mind retorted. I was with AJ! ‘But it’s not him you love!’ Okay, this silent conversation in my head was just not healthy. Nor was it good. Although, I was thankful that Howie and AJ were engrossed in something, otherwise, I knew they would have been tossing some strange looks my way.

“Excuse me, where’s the restroom?”

“Oh, I’m sorry Theresa, you didn’t get the grand tour.”

“No worries. Just point me in the right direction and we’ll call it even.”

“Down the hall, second door on the left.” I smiled at D, winked at AJ and went in search of the room. I quickly closed and locked the door behind me, sliding down it and resting on the floor, trying to collect my thoughts.

Oh shit, I didn’t realize just how much I was going to be facing in my future if I stuck around with AJ! But, I did love AJ. He was good for me, I was good for him. I helped him, and that was a fact I couldn’t easily turn my back on. Not that I wanted to. D was unattainable right now. Not right now, forever. Marriage is forever, not just for a while. But Howie, that night, that…I groaned, knowing that staying with AJ was going to be torture. I couldn’t stop the thoughts that plagued me, couldn’t stop my emotions.

But, I couldn’t be another person on the list who hurt AJ. Nope, I think that this was really going to have to be my cross to bear, that I was going to have to stay with AJ, and yet long for Howie, but from far away. And no one, NO ONE, was allowed to know the truth. It was obvious his wife didn’t know, thank goodness, for that pretty little information would have spread like wild fire tonight.

And I hated lying to Alex, but I know he would have flipped if he found out the truth. D was right, Alex hated liars. But, it was going to get mentioned that I at least knew Howie. That part I could deal with, but, it was going to be handled with nothing but a lie. I hung my head, hating that fact. I hated to lie, even more so to a person I cared for, but, I had no choice.

“Baby, you okay?” Inside, I screamed NO, but I couldn’t say that. I really couldn’t make him worry.

“I’m fine honey.”

“You sure?” I composed myself, stood up and unlocked the door, smiling at AJ.

“Yeah. Sorry, just needed to freshen up.”

“You look great, darlin’.” His lips brushed over mine and we walked back into the hallway.

-----
“Hey Alex, I’m sorry to bother you, but would you mind if I had this dance?” I glanced behind AJ and saw Samantha standing there. AJ just smiled at her and grabbed her hand, never once glancing at me or asking if it was okay. Not that he needed to.

“They look good together, huh?” I rolled my eyes but glanced at D.

“You’re asking ME that question? Smart move.” His half smile caught me off guard.

“You were always one who had an open mind, if I can recall.” He left me with that comment, and my cheeks turning a wonderful shade of red.