- Text Size +
Chapter 8
I stepped to the side an hour later, watching AJ just interact with everyone, but in particular, with Samantha. There was a casualness about them that screamed they knew each other. Believe me, I wasn’t fool enough not to know about AJ’s past, nor about the fact that he had many lovers. Yet, he had changed; he had calmed down, if that made sense. And that was why I had finally started dating him. But we really didn’t mention our past; otherwise, D would be well discussed by now. Actually, that was fine; we really didn’t need to know about THAT past. Yet, I was still a little ticked that he couldn’t mention an ex-girlfriend was gonna be here. Oh, I wasn’t that stupid to believe they were just lovers.

“Penny for your thoughts.” I glanced over at Nick and shook my head.

“Just watching those two.”

“They look good together, huh?” I raised my eyebrow and he chuckled. “You know they do. Almost too good. Maybe that’s part of the reason the engagement was broken off.” ‘Engagement!’ my mind screamed! Okay, lovers, you didn’t have to mention; girlfriends, eh, only if you wanted to! But engaged partners was a whole other deal. That was huge and yet he hadn’t felt like he needed to share that? Nick watched the emotions play over my face and his complexion paled. “You didn’t know?”

“That he was engaged, no.”

“Theresa, please don’t tell him I told you. There’s a reason why he didn’t tell you.” I shrugged; trying to so very had to play off his comment. “I’m serious.”

“Nick, please, let it go.”

“I feel bad. I don’t want you pissed, or…” He stopped when I put my hand on his arm.

“Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.” Nick managed a smile, although he really didn’t believe those words, yet he still left me well enough alone. AJ glanced over, said something to Samantha and made his way over to where I was.

“Sorry about that sweetie. Want a refill on that?” he asked, nodding his head at my empty soda. I handed him the glass and he turned to walk away.

“Add some rum to it.” He froze and quickly glanced behind him, seeing the anger for what it was. Okay, I lied to Nick, I was beyond pissed. And anyone would have felt the same damn way.

“Rum, huh?”

“He won’t do it. Anyway, what do you want D?”

“Look, I have no right to lay a claim on you, but…”

“Woah, stop right there. You’re right, you have no right. You took that night and flung it in my face with what you did! Why the hell would I go to that bitches wedding?”

“Theresa!”

“Get it through your head. It was one night.”

“Of some pretty damn hot sex.”

“You are Latin after all. I would hate to say you sucked.”

“Beyond that point…”

“You made it obvious where you stood D. You took my words, my feelings, and flew ‘em out the window. And believe me, I’m over it. My heart belongs to AJ now.”

“Even though he lied?”

“Was it any different than you and what you did?” At his silence, I smiled. “Didn’t think so.”

“Fine. If he hurts you, as it’s bound to happen, don’t come crying to me.”

“I was stupid once before. Believe me; I won’t make that same mistake twice.” With that, I turned, bumping right into Alex.