- Text Size +
Chapter 9
He glanced down at me, and inside, I was cringing. He handed me the glass and I took a deep drink. His arm slid around my waist and even though I was pissed off at him, I was still grateful for his strength. His lips brushed my hair. Damn it! His charm was not going to work on cooling off my anger right now.

“Baby, you ready to go?” I nodded my head, not trusting my voice in the least right now. He grabbed my hand as we made are way over to where Samantha and Leigh were. “We’re out ladies, thank you for the invite.” I watched as Samantha smiled and fluttered her eyelashes and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes at that show.

“Come back again, Alex. I miss talking with you.”

“Will do Sam. You gonna be in town for a while?”

“Yup. Enjoying time with my sister.”

“Than I might just be stopping by.” ‘Oh, just him, huh?’

“I look forward to that. Theresa, it was a pleasure to meet you.”

“Same here. Have a wonderful night. And thank you for inviting me, Leigh.”

“Oh, you’re always welcome.” I smiled, knowing the lie for what it was. AJ smiled, and waved as we walked out the front door. But we only made it a couple of steps before we heard someone shout something. AJ turned around and smiled at D.

“You were busy attending to your guest’s man.”

“Dude, you’re my best friend. I’ll check ya later man.”

“Yup, I’ll hit you up.” Howie turned to me and gave me a brief hug.

“Just so you know, I remember that outfit completely,” he whispered, before he pulled away, which for me, wasn’t soon enough. Damn, I was starting to hate all men at this point in time.

-----
I slammed his car door, making him jump slightly as he got in the car.

“This is my baby, please be careful.”

“Screw you!”

“What the hell?”

“When were you going to tell me about your engagement?”

“Right around the time you were going to talk about Howie and the fact that you knew him.”

“Howie is nothing, a one time meeting. And don’t change the subject! The issue of a past engagement is more freakin’ ass important!”

“What the hell? Why? Oh, is Resa jealous because she wasn’t the first one to lay a claim on my heart?”

“McLean, don’t even go there! I’m not jealous. I don’t get why you never felt the urge to talk about it. I mean, that’s a huge damn step and not one you tread on lightly.” He rolled his eyes, his fingers clenching the wheel and his foot pressing harder on the pedal.

“I might have loved her enough to offer marriage. But she’s the one who ended it, not me! So, are you happy?”

“Not by a long shot here! I’m not understanding…”

“Because you would have flown off the handle, like you are. That was the damn past; I don’t care that way for her!”

“Oh, don’t you?” I crossed my arms, his eyes quickly glancing at me.

“So, why not tell me more about this supposed one meeting with the little man?” I shook my head and tuned my gaze out the window, watching the scenery pass all too quickly.

“For crying out loud! It was one damn meeting and all we did was talk!” I closed my eyes, rested my head against the window, wanting to get what I was about to say off my chest. “This isn’t the first time you kept stuff from me!”

“Your right, and you’ve kept shit from me, so don’t get all high and mighty on my ass now. I’m getting the vibe here that you and D did a lot more than just talk.”

“And what the hell would make you think that? And it’s not nearly as huge as you keeping this stupid ass engagement from me!”

“The hell it ain’t! How would you feel here, if you thought that I slept with your friend, wait, your best friend?”

“You have to be kidding.”

“Nope.”

“You think I slept with him? Where did that come from?”

“Oh, let me count. 1, by the way you act around him. You can’t be around him or his wife. 2…”

“Hold up right there. Let me get this out in the open right now. I’ve had the, pleasure if you will, of meeting Leigh, and yes Samantha, neither one of them do I care for since neither one of them cared for me. I didn’t rank high enough on their scale for them to remember me, but it’s really hard to forget bitches.” His eyes quickly snapped to mine and I could see the fire in them. Oh, he didn’t like me calling her that, huh? He threw the car in park, and I realized with a start that I was home. Shit, he must have been pushing 90, at least.

“Would you like me to escort you in? Although, with that temper, you’ll slay anyone who dares step in your path, so I’m not that worried.” I glanced back out the window, seeing my apartment on the top floor, knowing that he was not going to like my words, but hell if I cared right now. He hurt me far too deeply for me to be giving a shit about his feelings.

“If you love me like you claim, and you call me special, why do you find it so hard to share. I’m not understanding that. And whatever you do, don’t throw D in my face, no matter what your feelings might be on that.”

“Get out.” He reached over me and opened the door, not even glancing at me.

“After tonight, with pleasure,” slamming the door to his ever precious baby.