- Text Size +
“Nathalie, you’ve got to get out and go somewhere today; you can't be cooped up in this house forever,” said Nadine.

“It's been close to a year.” “I know it has, Dine, but...God, I shouldn't have been so hard on him.” “So, you didn't know he was a Backstreet Boy?” “No, I didn't...no one told me...everyone just stared at me whenever we walk through the lobby doors...”

Nadine took a sip of her champagne and looked over at her broken hearted friend.

“Did you let him explain?”

Nathalie looked down at the ground, and whispers, “no...” “Don't you think you should now? He has the right to.” She became furious. Nadine moved away slightly. “That DOESN'T excuse him from lying to me...why do men ALWAYS lie to me?”

“I wish I knew...but I know Kevin, hell, I followed their career since the beginning; he would have to have a great reason why he never told you about his past.”

I look over at her, smiling weakly in agreement; “You're right. He...he was the type of person that would never hurt me...but I kept my stupid barrier up...what is wrong with me?”

“You're afraid of being hurt.”

I turn to my friend, and nod slightly, giving her the signal that she was, on rare occasion, right. I was afraid of being hurt, but at the same time, I didn’t want to be alone. Everything happened so fast, I never even gave Kevin a chance to explain himself…

I guess I should have.

“Why don’t you give him a call and tell him what’s on your mind. What have you got to lose?”

The love of my life. But I already lost him.


“All rise! The Honorable Judge Maurice Reynolds presiding,” began the tall, burly bailiff. Seconds later, a man in a long black robe trimmed in blue walked into the courthouse and towards his desk. “You may be seated,” he says in a raspy, near British brogue.

His eyes wandered over to the jury, nodding for them to sit down and then at me and my soon to be ex wife. He looked intently at her more than I, and I hope he can read her like a book; I know I can.

As he sets himself down thumbing through the files, he looks back up, “Mr. Richardson, you are seeking an annulment from a Kristin Willits?” I stood up, feeling instantly confident and say, fluidly, “Yes.”

Three tables down, I hear her crying to her attorney, mumbling, “I can't believe this is happening...he can't do this to me...” Her lawyers were staring at me, their gazes fierce and full of disgust; I shut away their gazes and continue to speak to the judge.

“Your Honor, I cannot be with this 'woman' any longer...” I look over at her and try to mentally settle my turning stomach; as I look at her, I see that she's putting on a show. I'm tellin' ya, she's Golden Globe material if she wasn't a conniving bitch.

“This woman...has been a thorn on my side ever since we met...she even had the nerve to cheat on me...when I gave her my life and my love...now tell me, is this someone that deserves to be happy when they refuse to learn from their mistakes?”

The judge sat back, smoothing his chin with his thumb and forefinger in deep thought. “You are very determined to end this relationship, aren't you, Mr. Richardson...?” I nod to him, twisting my thumbring around. “And Mrs. Richardson, are you--” “NO!” she shouts throughout the room, her booming voice echoing about. “No, I don't want this divorce...”

Judge Reynolds owered his glasses at her, and flashes her a stern gaze. “I have not even finished my sentence; please stay quiet until then.”

“But, Your Honor, you can't let him divorce me...we have too much going for each other!” “You are such a Goddamn liar! I've done everything I can to make this 'marriage' work, and you've done NOTHING to back it up!” “YES I HAVE! I may not have been the perfect wife throughout this marriage, but I've changed my ways, because I love you!”

The sound of the gavel slamming against the small, wooden rest resonates throughout the courtroom, with the demanding sound of, “ORDER! ORDER!!” They become silent instantly and look over at the angered judge. “I can see why he wants out of this marriage; you do not listen to anyone, especially authority.” “Bu--” “Don't say another word, Mrs. Richardson...you've had your chance to speak, and you ruined it. “

The judge looked over at me again as I slowly calm down. “Young man...what do you truly want...?” “All I ask for Is fair justice, Your Honor. Why would I, or anyone else here in the court, want to stay with someone that can easily hurt you and would try to tarnish your image at the same time...? Who could put up with that? Whoever that can...I tip my hat to them... for they're just as strong as me.” Again, I look over at the heartless snake, then back at the judge.

“Please, sir...grant me this one request....set me free.”

Again, he sits back, his eyes closed and his mind stirring. My knees began to buckle and a lump gathers in my throat as I waited for his response.

He sets his gavel down on the table and leans forward to me. “How badly do you want to be, “set free”, Mr. Richardson?” I turn to her weepy stature and state without looking back, “Badly. I'd rather be in Hell than to be married to her.” His brows furrowed and his lips pucker slightly. Understanding me.

“Then, the court shall favor in approving the divorce; proceedings will commense in two months.” I heard her scream, but it was overshadowed by the slam of the gavel and a “Court is adjourned!” I let out a sigh of relief; the frustrations I feel is no longer, and I'm finally, shall I say it? I'm finally able to spread my wings again...

But what I've accomplished hasn't scratched the surface yet. I have to win back the one woman that meant everything, TRULY everything to me...by any means necessary.