- Text Size +
The outside world was pitch black for the moon decided to hide for the evening. That wasn’t important at the moment; the most important thing right now is getting this stranger to my house, and help him anyway I can.

An hour after I saved his life, I drove him to my place. I felt him turn to me, and say, “Thanks again,” then looks out the window. “Don’t mention it…” He looked over at me with pure intent in his eyes; they were absolutely lovely, and I could stare at them all day if I could...but I’m driving at the moment, and I don’t feel like crashing through a tree.

“I’m sorry, but I have to. You saved me out there, and I don’t know what I would have done if you weren’t there. I don’t know if I can stop saying thank you for doing such a brave thing.”

I look down at the upholstered floor smiling. “Did I embarrass you?” he asks while still looking out the window, probably trying to remember his life. “No, you didn’t. It’s just that no one thanked me for anything while doing something for them. Isn’t that crazy?” “Yes. They’re called selfish people, and they always ask for everything, but give you nothing in return.”

I nod in agreement, and make a left turn to Weldon St.: home. The mystery man looked up at my apartment complex and whistled lightly. “Nice digs…” As I get out the car, I look over at him: he had on a black long sleeved turtleneck sweater which clung onto him from the ocean. His black dungarees were also drenched, and reeking of sea salt, and sandals which were torn by the oceans’ angry tides.

His hair was half dry, half wet and it hung over his broad shoulders. I see his jaws tightening for some reason; I guess to stiffen his intricate jaw line, which looked to be chiseled to perfection. “Come on, let’s get you cleaned up.” I say to him as he stands in front of me. “Lead the way,” he says in a lowly tone, barely audible. We both entered the lobby and I closed the double doors.

In awe, he looked around the Malian Terrace; it didn’t take long for him to be impressed by it. “It’s beautiful!” he exclaims; his eyes widened, “I wish I could afford to chill out here.”

I look at him with a lop sided smile. “I’m lucky to even RENT a place like this…I’ll show you to my floor.” He and I walked around to find the elevator that goes to the even floors of the building. For some reason, I felt eyes watching our every move. Why, I do not know.

I heard people speaking in hushed tones and others lightly gasped. What were they looking at? Maybe they’re ‘shocked’ at me bringing up a man to my quarters? The majority of the people here know me, and I guess it’s weird (to them) that I’m picking up random guys. I’ve never done that.

We step into an elevator, and he’s once again enamored with what he sees: Greek patterns of gold laced all about the walls, dark red carpeting, and a chandelier above our heads. The last little tidbit that set the area off was the heavenly sound of Enya playing in the background. I guess for this place, Muzak elevator music was highly overrated.

I felt his eyes burn a hole in the side of my face, so in response to that, I looked at him back. “What is it?” I ask nonchalantly. “Nothing…” he said softly. I cocked my eyebrow up in either confusion or intrigue.

I couldn’t remember which. From the looks of this man, he seemed to be, oh I don’t know, shy? Sensitive? In angst by his dark appearance? I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but oh well; I didn’t let it bother me for the time being.

We entered my apartment on the 6th floor with no problem, though he felt a little sick from the elevator. I set my bag down on the table as well as tossed my keys next to it. “Make yourself at home---“I say after taking my sandals off, and walking back towards…no one. “Sir?” I shout out to the air, I wish I knew his name; I don’t want to sound like a maid.

From the kitchen, I hear, “Where’s your bathroom?” I follow the voice, and lean against the counter the moment I entered the room. “It’s down the hall, to your far left. If you’re going to take a shower, fresh towels are in the linen closet next to the bathroom. Try not to get lost,” I smugly say. “I’ll try not to,” he said with a light chuckle.

I liked that, it sounded cute like a child, but attractive for a person who hints hilarity. He went in, and I hear the shower go off…then a soft, gentle voice alluding from the corridors of the bathroom and down the empty halls. The words, so blissful sounding and tranquil, rang through my virgin ears, for I’ve never heard such a sweet sound.

It’s not that I can’t live without you; it’s just that I don’t even want to try. Every night I dream about you, ever since the day we said goodbye.

I approached the white door of the bathroom, and pressed my palms and ear against it.

If I wasn’t such a fool, right now, I’d be holding you. There’s nothing that I wouldn’t do, baby if I only knew…

The words to say, the road to take, to find a way back to your heart. What can I do, to get to you? And find a way back to your heart?

It was amazing. The tone of his vocals was clear and pristine, even down to the landing points his voice fluttered calmly.

I pressed my back against the door and sighed in an impressed tone. He should be signed right on the spot if he wanted a life like that. I can’t imagine living such a life with cameras and paparazzi everywhere you go, and moochers as your new ‘best friends’. It’s a scary business, I can tell you that.

The shower stopped running, and I backed away from the door after hearing the doorknob jiggle. Playing it cool, I was in the kitchen fumbling with a half a sandwich I didn’t want. I wasn’t hungry for food; I was hungry for his voice.

“Thanks a lot, I needed that.” “You’re very welco--“I looked up at him and saw him in nothing but a red/black striped towel. His wet hair stuck to the sides of his face, neck and shoulders; he moved some away from his face. He was breathing in and out, possibly from the hot steam of the shower he took. All of this was getting to me all at once, but I contained myself (which was very hard to do).

The recessed blue and white lights were thrust upon his taut chest, causing it to glisten either by intention or on purpose; I quickly looked away. “Do you um…have any clothes for me? Or a robe perchance?” he said while smoothing his hair back, causing piddles of water crash on my checkered tiles. “Yes, I do…” I told him while getting up to trek towards the linen closet.

I pull out a black t-shirt and blue boxers and walked over to him, placing them on the table. “I hope they’ll fit you.” He takes them and smiled at me warmly. “You’re too kind, Miss…?” I smack my forehead, hard. I stumbled and quickly grabbed onto the table for leverage.

“What an idiot I am…I never even told you my damn name; it’s Nathalie. Do you remember your name?” “It’s Kevin. That’s the only thing I can remember. Everything else is still a blur.” I place my hand upon his moist shoulder, and say, “You’ll remember everything in due time, ok? Just…let your mind wander a little until you find something, or read something that’ll trigger your memory.”

He turns to me, full frontal, and holds the sides of my arms. “You will help me do this, right?” I nod and say, ‘of course.’ “But in the meantime, you hungry? There’s a piece of sandwich that I didn’t want…” “I’ll take it!” he exclaimed, and in a flash, demolishes the miniscule sandwich.

“Was it good?” I say as I laughed. “Yummy,” was all he said. “Well, if you get hungry, you know where the kitchen is. Want me to show you to your room?” He said yes, and I led him down the hall towards the vacant room. I turn to him, and say goodnight, and he nods to me.

“I may not know you that well, but you’re the best. Thank you.”

“Anytime, Kevin.” I smile, and then feel for my bedroom door while still looking at him.

He smiled back at me, and walked into the room shutting the door.

“That man is something else,” I thought to myself. “He’s everything a woman could want…but…I’m not going to say anything else…”