- Text Size +
Dawn broke throughout the horizon, and infiltrated my quarters. My eyes slowly opened, but closed them back quickly; the suns’ rays become painfully bright this time of year. I get up, approaching the window and close the blinds, but before doing that, I decided to look over the waters.

It’s so wonderful to have an abode that’s near the vast ocean floor and a grand view of my growing city. I shut the curtains and blinds and sat against the dresser, carrying my thoughts back to yesterday: the sand between my toes, the smooth, velvety air wafting through my skin; him.

All the while, I couldn’t get that mysterious stranger out of my head, and thanks to that man, I couldn’t sleep last night. I tossed, I turned, I took a drag from a single Virginia Slim. Nothing worked. I guess now, the fact that I actually saved a life, his life, shook me and finally sunk in.

“Where did he come from?” I ask myself. “Who is he? I never knew him from around here…”

My thoughts were ajar when I suddenly heard the door close from the bathroom, then the faint sound of the shower running. I set myself against my bedroom door, and waited, hopefully to once again hear his symphonic voice. All I heard was the shower going off; nothing more.

I sat on my patio chair looking up at the clear blue summer sky with a glass of orange pineapple juice in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I hear someone enter the kitchen and open the glass patio door.

I turn around and I’m met with the tall, dark figure wearing nothing but a dark blue robe and his hair in a sloppy pony tail. “Good morning,” he says to me while walking all the way into the patio. “May I join you?” I scoot over so he can sit next to me, and when he did so, something fused inside me…and I didn’t know what it was.

It’s true that within 24 hours, I took a liking to him, but at the same time, I don’t see myself getting involved with him, for I know not of his whereabouts, or who he really is.

It’s going to be hard to ask him a menagerie of questions, since he knows nothing of his past. That’s why I want to do my best in trying to help him restore his memories.

“So, you smoke?” I look down at my dwindling Virginia Slim, then back at his near sleepy face. “Yeah…It’s kind of a habit I can’t seem to break right now. I smoke when I’m stressed.”

He scoots over to me and looks me over again. “Are you stressed now…?” I look up into his vibrant green eyes (inadvertently) and say, “No…” he lightly nods and turns his attention back to the horizon.

“Have you ever seen such a beautiful sunrise…?” Secretly I look over at him and smile. “No, I haven’t, Kevin. No, I haven’t.”

“And he didn’t call? Nothing?” asked a panicked Southerner pacing the floor of a hotel room. “No, man. He was supposed to meet us at The Rave last night, and he never showed up. I wonder why that is…” stated a man wearing black and red tinged shades.

“Maybe he’s visiting Kristin.” “He would have called to tell us that, Alex; it’s not like him to just up and leave like that.” Alex nodded, and sat back down. “Should we call the police?” a short, Latin man asked his worrisome confidant.

The blonde man looked back at him, and shook his head with his eyes closed. “I don’t want the media in a damn frenzy; that’s the LAST thing we need. I think it’s best if we find him ourselves.” Another blonde man, much taller, walked into the room with his hands dipped in his pockets.

“Gee, that’s a great idea. Only one problem there: where do we start looking?” “I don’t know, ok? We just HAVE to start looking somewhere…ANYWHERE…” They all turned to each other, never for a second realized how worried Brian was. Never had they’ve seen him lose his cool; but right now, he’s nearing wits end.

They watch him carefully walking towards the balcony and rest his arms and chin upon the cold steel railing. His glowing, but now worried blue eyes sought the clear blue sky, but quite possibly the Man Upstairs, and sighs sadly.

“Kevin, where could you be? It’s not like you to just get up and leave without notice…” he hangs his arms over the balcony railing and rests his head sideways onto his shoulder.

I wish I knew where you were…”