- Text Size +
“Hey Kevin, I’m gonna head out to the store for a couple of hours. I’m in DESPERATE need of food…” I give him a fake disappointed grin. As if he was a little child that committed a bad deed, he looked down at his folded hands.

“I’m sorry for ‘confiscating’ your ‘fridge, Nat. It’s just that I haven’t had any normal food in a while.”

I turn around after grabbing my keys and stare at him confused. “Normal food?” his head shot back up and smiled briefly and scratched his head. “I mean, I’ve been on a diet, and I decided to cheat with it.” “I see…” was the last thing I said before leaving out the door.

“That was weird…normal food? What did he use to eat, caviar on intricately cut crackers imported from Italy?”

To myself I was, as usual, overreacting about what he said. Maybe he was on a diet? After all, I’m sure the last thing he was “snacking” on was kelp and saltwater last night and wanted to take a much more humane eating approach.

Sorry that my jokes are substandard, but I just can’t stop wondering where this handsome man came from…

Aw well, I said to myself as I got on the elevator to the 1st floor.

All was well so far as I turned the corner towards the Sunstar Hotel lobby. I was about to head towards the door, but was immediately stopped by a familiar voice.

“You are so damn lucky.”

“Nadine?” I slip my car keys back in my pocket and turn around to one of my closest friends. “How are you?”

“Me? I’m swell. You on the other hand, are on cloud nine at the moment. I know you are.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Nathalie, you know exactly what I’m talking about…better yet, who. That guy you brought up to your apartment last night. I saw you two with my watchful eye.”

Sometimes her eye was too damn watchful. She’s notorious for sticking her nose where it didn’t belong, and it drove me nuts every time.
“Kevin?”

“So…you do know who he is, huh? Like I said, Nat: you’re so damn lucky.”

I throw my backpack over my shoulder and looked over at her with my face yet again contorted to confusion.

“Nadine, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t know that guy at all. All I know is that his name is Kevin, and he was out by the beach unconscious. He told me nothing of his past, because—“

“Because he wants to keep it a secret, and that he doesn’t want you blabbing to the paparazzi of his whereabouts. I’m sure he has to gain a fan’s trust.”

“…Are you on mushrooms?”

Nadine just shook her head and clicked her tongue at me.
“My God, girl, are you empty-headed or blind?”

I give her a blank look as a response. I wish she would just tell me what the hell she was talking about instead of dragging shit out like that old chick on “Murder, She Wrote.”

“I would appreciate that you didn’t call me names and just tell me what you’re hinting at!” I fire back at her in a sharp hushed tone; I didn’t want the whole lobby to know what my crazy friend is babbling about.
She walks up to me and places both of her hands upon my newly tensed shoulders.

“The man you have upstairs…is a celebrity.”

Now, I KNOW she’s insane. I knew I should have given her Ritalin for her birthday last month.

“You’re kidding. Right?”

“Nathalie, my dear, I never lie.” “But you eavesdrop.”

“That’s something completely different.”

I shake my head at her, not wanting to hear anymore of her nonsense. “I have to run a few errands.”

As I was about to reach for the door again, she barricades herself in front of it, preventing me to leave, and forcing me to listen to reason.

“Nathalie, you’ve got to believe me… The guy you have in your house is Kevin Richardson…he’s huge around these parts! I can’t believe you didn’t know that…”

“And I can’t believe that you’ve just lost whatever mind you have left, Nadine. Now, would you please move? I’ve got to go.” Reluctantly, she moved out of my way and set her arms down to her sides.

“Just do me one favor, Nathalie.” I turn back around once again to face her. “Name it,” I say to her impatiently.
“Tonight at 7:30, turn on ABC. That’s all I have to say.

“Right….whatever.”

And with that, I turn up my heels and walk out the door.

While getting into my car, and stop and think of what she told me. "What’s on at 7:30 on ABC? I don’t even watch TV that much. She’s probably trying to ignore the ‘celebrity’ that’s snacking on the couch and wants me to watch an episode of Desperate Housewives…I guess.”

As I drove towards the supermarket, my mind starts to contemplate on whether or not I should turn on the telly and see what she was talking about.

While humming a tune and holding a big bowl of Doritos, Kevin plopped down on the couch with his feet other the armrest. “Ahh…this is living. Nothing to worry about anymore, and best of all, it’s 100% a safe haven here.”

He grabs the remote off top of a pile of Glamour magazines and turned the TV on.

Suddenly, something flashes across the screen, a title card as it’s called. He drops the remote as well as the bowl of chips, shocked by what he saw.

“The Backstreet Boys Live from Orlando! Don’t Miss It!

Tonight at 8:30/7:30 Central on ABC.”

“Oh, shit…”