- Text Size +
Meanwhile, at the Waldorf-Astoria, Brian wrote out a list of places that Kevin was likely to go. The other three men were sitting around, becoming more and more impatient. “Is there an eco-friendly store around here?”

Nick nods to him, “It’s called the Greenhouse Effect. It’s supposed to be a restaurant and a plant foods store.” “Perfect! He could be there…” Frantically, he writes down each ‘green’ place on a sheet of paper, and cuts it up in slithers.

“What are you doing now?” Howard asked with a raised eyebrow. “I’m dividing each place out, so each of us can look for him. It’s been 48 hours so far, and it’s driving me up the damn wall…” “Dude, don’t you think we know that? I’m sure when we find him, he’ll have an explanation as to why he didn’t bother to call us. Just give it time,” Nick stated and sat back on the couch.

“That’s easier said than done, Nick. Now, here are the places he might be. We’ll partner up to save time.” Brian walks up to each of his friends and handed them a piece of paper with two locations.

“AJ, Nick, you two go here. Howie and I will go to the Flower Garden and the Greenhouse Effect. Let’s not lose hope, ok?” They nod and get up to leave the room.

Alex walked up to Brian once again, and places a hand on his shoulder. “And you need to relax a little, man. I mean, Kevin’s a grown man; he’ll be fine…I know it.” “You’re right…I just can’t stop worrying…but I’ll try and stay calm…for all of us.” The man in shades gave him a friendly smile and hugged him tightly.

Darkness was slowly falling upon every nook, cranny and crevice of California.

Another day has gone by, and soon another will begin; but will it be full of new questions?

I finally make it home after being out for 3 hours. I hope he’s alright up there, I thought to myself while looking at my watch. The time was 6:53.

For some unknown reason, my heart skipped a beat as I saw each second pass; each agonizing second dispersed as I waited for whatever came on at 7:30. Not only was the time a new nuisance to me, but the chat my friend and I had was eating at me.

What If she WAS telling the truth? She seemed so disappointed when she found that I didn’t believe her. In fact, I never believed in the bullshit gossip she spews at me, it’s the same mess over and over again. But…does the gossip she gave me tell a different story?

I walk into the building and arrive at the lobby. I don’t know if I felt deceived, but I could have sworn that I was being looked at by the people I know, and strangers.

This has been going on since Kevin and I went up to my room. Maybe there was more to what Nadine told me…eh, whatever. The only thing I care about right now, is taking up my groceries and chow down.

I’m in the elevator going up to my floor; I see a couple of girls walk in after me. They see me quickly and turn around just the same to talk to each other.

“She just doesn’t know, does she?”

“How can she NOT see it?”

“Maybe she does see it, and she’s hoarding him for herself.”

“Yeah…what a shame, though.”

I decided to make myself known to them, but the second I attempted, they exited the elevator, and the door closed.

“Well, at least I don’t have to hear another word from them,” I said to myself, and walked out the elevator to my floor.

“I’m home!” I shout while struggling with two bags of groceries, and my keys dangling from my mouth. “A little help here? Kevin??” I sigh inwardly and take the bags to the kitchen, setting them on the gray marble counter.

“Kevin, are you in here?” I got no reply. “Maybe he went out for some fresh air…” I thought, so I headed towards the balcony.

Before leaving the living room, I see a note underneath a bowl of chips and lint. I pick it up and sit down reading it.

Nathalie,

If you read this, I’m at the Greenhouse Effect café. I figured I should have called to tell you that, but you probably don’t have a cell phone, and…I don’t know your number…

I was wondering if you would meet me there? It’s about 3 blocks away from here, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find. I saw it while you were driving me to your apartment, and it caught my eye. Maybe here, you can tell me more about what I need to know, if you found anything.

I’m at a window seat, so you can see me before you walk in.

See you there,

Kevin.

“Wow, 2 days, and already he’s asking me out…” Where did
THAT come from? It’s not a date, he just wanted to have green tea and raisin bread with me…I guess.

What harm could that do? I sit the note down and walk out the door. I didn’t need my car, since he did say it was a few blocks away; I made the trek towards the café.

Kevin sat at a window seat at the café. His hands folded, and his head down, he awaited for Nathalie’s arrival. He turned to his left to see his savior in black pumps walk past the store. She saw him and smiled then rushed in to meet with him.

“Hey, you..” he said to her with a smile. She nearly melted, but shook the feeling of fainting off.

“So, you ran off, huh?” I asked him and he chuckled. “You kind of scared me, Kevin…”

He reached his hand out to me, and I hesitantly placed mine down. “I’m sorry about that…I just needed to stretch my legs a little…I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all…” our hands were still intertwined without me realizing it. I looked down at our hands, and saw that he thumbed the top of it lightly. I drew my hand back and placed them on my lap.

Blushing, I look down at the green and white table, nipping at my upper lip. “Are you ok?” he asked me in a calm tone, his head leaning towards me.

Without looking up, I mutter, “I’m fine.” He sat back in his seat and sipped his white tea.

We sat there silent for at least twenty minutes. I look down at my watch, and see that it’s 7:45.

“Damnit…”

“Something bothering you?”

“What? Oh, no…I just realized there was something to TV that started about 15 minutes ago…it’s probably not that important; a friend of mine wanted me to check it out.”

“What was it?” he asked in an interested tone.

“You know what? She never told me…this is probably going to sound nuts.”

He leaned back and flashed me a lop-sided smile. “What would, Nat?”

I loved when he calls me by my nick name…

Not again…

I look back at him and say, “Well, that same friend stopped me on the way out earlier, telling me that…”

“What?”

“Well, she told me that…that you’re a celebrity. A Pop star no less. Isn’t that hilarious?”

I noticed that he cleared his throat a couple of times, and nervously chuckled. Then, he said coolly,

“Yeah. That’s nuts, alright. Why would she think that?”

“Well, she said that you’re Kevin Richardson from some boy band ‘Backstreet Boys’. I told her I didn’t want to hear another word of her jabbering, and I left.”

“Do you know what they look like?” “No. In fact, I’ve never heard of them.”

“Well, I can assure you that I’m not him,” he said and nibbled at his bottom lip. I nod in understanding and nibble at an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Something didn’t really sit well with me. Maybe it was the cookie I ate? Nah, it can’t be it. No, it’s how he reacted when I told him that he’s a supposed rock star.

He seemed…out of place when I told him: the nervous cough, the chuckle, the scratching of the top of his head. He’s done that before, but I never caught him on it verbally, but visually. I guess it’s just me overreacting as usual again; I brushed it off and continued to eat my food.

We still sat at the table, noiseless. I tilt my head to the side and yawn a little; this caused him to look at me, so I had to say something. “So, um…what else do you want to talk about, Kevin?”

I look back up and see that he’s in deep thought. While he had his green eyes closed, I couldn’t help but look him over again…there he sat, wearing a black Rolling Stones ’79 World Tour shirt and khaki shorts. They were actually my ex-boyfriend’s clothes; he didn’t bother to take them with him since he, well, abandoned me 3 years ago.

Marsh never looked good with that outfit, but Kevin sure as hell did. His eyes were still hidden from the world, and I continue to, dare I say it, admire him. He looked so calm and just…perfect in a way. For some reason, when he touched my hand, my insides were set ablaze, and there was nothing else I can think of that could put the fire out.

I tried not to let those new feelings become me, but they have, and I’m scared. Sure, he’s a nice guy and he can give you a few laughs, but what if he’s like Marsh, ya know? I mean, what if we were together…

Oh, what’s the point? He probably doesn’t like me like that. Like I said before, I know nothing about him, and he knows nothing about me…

But we can simply start a conversation of getting to know one another better, right?

His eyes slowly open and look over at me. “You ready to go?” I get up and grab my keys, “Yeah…I’m getting pretty tired.” Kevin flashes another smile at me, which caused me to automatically do the same. “Sorry if I made you miss your show, Nathalie.” “No biggie. It probably wasn’t even important…”

“That was a close one…”

As we both headed out the door, he pushed it open to let me go first. “Ladies first…” I blush a crimson red again and walk out, “such a gentleman…” He giggled slightly and followed me out the door.

Howard and Brian arrived at the Greenhouse Effect, 20 miles away from the Waldorf-Astoria hotel. They scanned the outside tables and the sidewalks from their Escalade like hawks searching for their prey. Nothing; just an empty street.

“Damn! He’s not here…but Nick did give us a good hunch.”

Brian groans while running his face up and down his hands. He felt his friends’ hand rub his back. “It’ll be alright, Brian. I promise. Like AJ said, Kevin will turn up; it’s only a matter of time.”

Brian nods while his face was still hidden in his tired hands. “Everyone keeps saying that...but words won’t help this situation.”

Howard knew he was right, so he kept silent…

That is, until he saw Kevin and Nathalie walking down the other side of the street.

“Brian! Look!”

He looked up, “What are you screaming for?” he looked over at the direction Howard pointed at and gasped. “It’s Kevin…but where is he going?”

They were lost from their sights, for they turned the corner. “Follow them,” Brian ordered, and they discreetly followed them.

“So, you’re an avid volleyball player, huh?” he asked me surprisingly. “Yes, well, back in my high school days. Never got a trophy or anything. I wish I knew what you did back in high school.” “So did I…it sucks to not know what I accomplished.”

With each word he utters to her, his stomach ached, but his heart burned even more.

He started to fall for her, and in only two days time.

“There’s something I have to tell you…” she confronted while they stopped in the middle of her sidewalk. “What is it?” “I heard you singing the other day…you have such a lovely voice. If you really were a singer, I bet you’d knock ‘em dead with your sound; it’s harmonic.”

Nathalie noticed that he scratched his head again and looked down at the pavement. “Th…thank you, Nat…”

“Embarrassed?” “Wha? Oh, no…I just didn’t think you heard me in there…I don’t sound that good…” She shook her head in disagreement. “I don’t think so…you sound better than any other singer I’ve listened to. You have a gift.”

Kevin smiled in agreement of her argument and approached her. “Have I thanked you enough for what you’ve done for me?” “Yes…everyday.” Closer and closer he walked towards her and placed his hands upon her shoulders. “Thank you…Nathalie…”

My lips trembled and quaked, for I knew what was coming next…”You’re welcome, Kevin…” His hair fell forward first, than his face approached mine. My heart raced, my blood boiled, and my nerves shot as his lips inched closer to mine . . . . . . .

In the alleyway, a couple of trashcans rattled and crashed on the cement floor, scaring the hell out of the both of us, jarring us away from our gazes. While he looked back at what happened, I moved away from him, and run up the steps, pushing the door open.

“Natha—What the…?”

She was gone. The only thing he could do was sigh inwardly and follow her into the apartment.

“Great job, Howie…” Brian stated as he saw him move away from the trash pails, and reenter the car. “What was that all about, I wonder?” he asked while fastening his seatbelt. “I don’t know…but the others have got to know where he is; and someone else we all know and love.”

“And who would that be, Bri?”

“Kristin.”