- Text Size +
The warm, airy morning soon turned into a hot and humid afternoon; Kevin and Nathalie were at a nearby park. Laughing heartily, Nathalie cried out to him: “Higher, Kevin, higher!” he pushed her on the tire swing harder and she soared higher than anticipated. For the first time in her life, she felt majestic, wholesome, and free.

Nathalie never felt like this before; not even with Marshall Satoria. While she was with him, she never felt the security or the gentle warmth of him as they slept or when they were simply together. To her, she thought he loved her, but showed her in a much different aspect; she was wholeheartedly wrong.

Kevin stood back and looked at her as she was laughing and screaming in the air. “Enjoying it much?” he asks trying not to laugh. “Yes! I get all giddy when I’m on a swing…it was my favorite childhood pastime. I wish I knew yours.” “I wish I knew mine, too,” he said while pulling her back to him. She ran her hand lightly across his cheek and smiled, “I know you will someday, Kev, just you wait and see, ok?”

As giving her an answer, he spun the swing around so she’s facing him, and leaned in to kiss her gently on the lips. Nathalie turned beet red and looked away giggling like a school girl. “You are something else, you know that?” “You tell me that everyday, Nat…everyday…”

Alex and Howie were driving back toward the apartment complex. “So, Kev had a chickie on the side, huh?” “I wouldn’t call her a ‘chickie’; I would call her a home-wrecker. I mean, how could he? He had Kristin; I’m sure she’s enough for him!” Alex looked over at him and scoffs. “D, are you blind as well as stupid? Kris is a user. She only got with Kevin because of his status, you know that.” “You believe what you want; I think she’s a very comely woman.” “Yeah, right…” he thought to himself.

Deep down, he too never liked her from the beginning. He says that he can tell when a woman or anyone else wants to be with a certain person because of their monetary value as well as their status; it made him sick.

Being jarred out of his thoughts, Howie stated: “Look, all we have to do, is ask around for them, bring him back, and that’s that. I know that Kristin misses him dearly…” “Or his money.” “Alex, please! Would you stop thinking negatively and just look for Kevin and his whore?” Alex silences himself and looks out the window returning to his thoughts:“Wherever you are, man, you’re living a lucky streak. The ‘little lady’ of yours is a ball-buster, rest assured.”

“Wait a second…” he parked the car near a curb outside the street and looks ahead near the swings of the park. “There they are, AJ. Lady Luck’s on our side this day, isn’t she?” “Uh…if you say so.” Without hesitation, they both get out of the car and approach them.

“This is a wonderful day, isn’t it, Nathalie?” “I couldn’t agree more with you, Kevin…but it’s even better with you by my side. I love you.” I turn to her with a promising smile and brush her lips lightly with my thumb. Leaning in, I give her a soft kiss in telling her I love her as well.
At long last, I finally got what I wanted; peace, freedom, and above all; love. Everything seemed for the most part, perfect.

Until a few seconds ago.

“Yo, Kevin!” someone shouted from a distance. Kevin and Nat turned their heads towards the sound only to find two men approach them hurriedly. “Oh, fuck…” he said under his breath as they came closer to them.

“Dude, we’ve been looking all over for you! What are you doing?” Kevin got up and scratched his head while looking away at them. “Uh…hi…do I know you?” AJ and Howie looked at each other, then back at Kevin with mixed expressions of confusion. “What? Kevin, don’t play dumb! It’s D and Bone, man…” Nathalie stepped back a little and looked on at the three men talking. “What is going on?” she thought while crossing her arms.
She decided to step up and place her arms around his waist.

“Kevin? Who are these people? What’s going on?” he turned to me and weakly smiled. “Honey, I don’t know these people whatsoever.” He turned back to them; “Look, we’re trying to have a little picnic, so if you don’t mind…”

“We do mind.”

In a flash, the short Latin guy grabbed his arm and pulled him away from me; I didn’t know what the hell’s going on. Were they criminals? No, they haven’t any guns. Spies? I KNEW being with Kevin was too good to be true! He’s probably an International spy hell-bent in taking over the world. God, I really need to lay off the caffeine for a while. I saw them holding Kevin and carrying him away from me. I so desperately wanted to know what the hubbub was, so I quietly followed them.

“I want to make sure that she’s not of earshot. What is going on with you, Kevin? You go to a club for one night, and the next you disappear without a trace or a phone call? What gives?” “Look, I don’t have to answer to you two, ok? Just leave me alone…” Howie and AJ became even more confused.

“Why haven’t you kept in contact with us? We were worried sick, Kev.” He slipped his hands into his jean pockets and looked down at the pavement. “I just needed some time to think.” “About what?” “About what I want in life.” AJ stepped up to him and took his signature shades off.

“Dude, you have everything you ever wanted…I mean, come on! You’re a freakin’ Backstreet Boy for God’s sake! You’re internationally known, man! I mean, you got chicks swirling around you, wanting to do ANYTHING for you, but you chose a money hungry bimbo to call ‘wife’ everyday! You’ve got millions upon millions of dollars to do whatever you like with!”

“And that’s what I don’t want anymore, AJ! Don’t you get it? There’s more to me than just being famous. I just want to put up my microphone and move on with my life.” “Not while there’s a new tour to start in a few months! Kevin—““I made up my mind, ok? I’m done with show business…” after setting his foot down to them for the last time, Kevin turned away from his friends and leaves them standing there, pondering.

“What about Kristin?!” Howie shouted while he was no longer at their distance.

Kevin stopped and turned to look at them. Complete silence was his answer.

Nathalie sat on a bench, silent, shaking, shocked. She couldn’t believe what she just heard. The man that she fell head over heels in love with, the man that she believed was her soulmate, the man that she knew would make her life complete, was lying to her the entire time. She felt the idle tears stinging her eyes then inch their way down her cheeks.

“Ahh, good riddance to them,” he mumbled to him as he approached Nathalie. He stood over her and smiled…but his smile turned into a frown once he saw her look up with tears in her eyes. “…Nathalie?”

“You….you lied to me. You fucking LIED to me!” he stepped back a little, shocked that she’s filled with bleeding anger. “What are you talking about, Nat?”

“You lied to me, saying that you weren’t a celebrity, and you ARE! You’re not what you seem!” He felt a hard lump quivering in his throat. “Nathalie, calm dow—““DON’T tell me to calm down! I’m so pissed at you, I could just---AHH!!” he tried to calm her down with his soothing voice; he tried to hold the sides of her arms, but she pushed him away.

All this time, you were lying to my Goddamn face! You said you lost your memory and didn’t know what to do! How could you lead me on like that? Huh?!” “I was trying to tell you—“ “When were you going to tell me? When ‘Kristin’ started looking for you?! You have a wife, and you cheated on her! God, I’m such a fool!” “I don’t love her! I love you…only you…please believe that…”

“Never.” “What?” “I said I will NEVER believe a word you tell me ever again…I don’t want anything to do with you…I hate you.” “You…” he then felt his own wallowing tears settle upon his pale cheeks. The three words that he hoped to never hear from the one he truly loved, were uttered out of fits of rage. “You don’t mean that…”

“Yes, I do. I never want to see you again.” As he kept approaching her, she would step back more. “No…no more…NO MORE! Leave me alone!”

“Nathalie, listen to me!” he grabbed her arm as she turned away, but he was met with a hot, stinging slap across his face. Kevin’s head jerked the other way, letting the pain ooze into his breaking heart. But as soon as he brought his head back up, she was gone--like a flash.


“Nathalie!” he shouted into the air, but no other response resounded; only silence. He fell to his knees, grasping the cool grass and dirt into his hands.

“It…it’s over…it’s really over…”