- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story was originally written by my good friend Reb (rebellious_one here on AC) and was titled "Satan's Playground". Recently, after a long conversation with Reb, she decided to hand the story over to me for a thorough rewrite which I am very excited about. I can only hope to do Reb and her original fans of SP proud with this rewrite I present. If you have any questions about this, you can contact Reb through her AC profile at http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1269. You can also read the original version of "Satan's Playground" at http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8556. As always, feedback is very much appreciated, and any feedback you decide is worthy to be given, I thank you in advance! Read on and enjoy! :)

 

Chapter 1:



 
“Kevin actually agreed to this…”
 
Turning his head from the empty Styrofoam cup he twirled between his fingers, Howie Dorough brought his attention to the far left where his eyes caught sight of his younger friend and band mate, Alexander James McLean. Smirking at the way the man leaned lazily against a grated beige painted wall as he blew a steady stream of nicotine smoke out a barely cracked open window, Howie could hardly contain his amusement. True to his nature, Alex had never been one to conform to a strict guideline of rules and the ‘no smoking’ sign posted directly above his head proved to be no exception. “Why do you sound so surprised?” he finally returned, quirking a brow.
 
“Who are you kidding?” AJ gruffed, his dark mocha eyes rolling at what seemed to be an obvious statement of fact. Flicking the degrading cigarette into the air, he turned from the window and sauntered back over to the long rectangular-shaped conference table. “Kevin hasn’t exactly been… Oh, how should I put it? Friendly in these parts since he decided he didn’t need us around anymore.” His head throbbed with a dull bothersome ache and with a prolonged exhaustion from another sleepless night the previous evening, he also found it increasingly difficult to even stay awake. He felt uncomfortably suffocated from the stagnant air circulating throughout the small conference room that had been designated as the place of meeting and a thin layer of perspiration had already begun to accumulate against his skin. His light clothing clung to his lean frame like lead weights where he tugged at the material with irritation. He was particularly annoyed with the whole situation and releasing a disgruntled sigh, he brought his hand up to readjust the white baseball cap atop his head. Glancing over to the clock mounted on the furthest wall, AJ watched distastefully as the seconds passed by slowly. “Can’t even put it past him to be on time.”
 
“His flight was delayed,” Howie reminded him carefully and even so, it was hard to deny that a sufficient amount of time had passed. Though looking past a lack of proper punctuation on his eldest friend’s part, he had decided the reunion would be refreshing. It was a little over the top to even begin to consider the fact that just a short period of time after they had been reduced from a group of five to a mere quartet, an album had been produced, released, and now a world tour was in the works. It went without saying that Howie could withstand it like it was second nature. Over the years he had learned to create his own internal autopilot that he could inadvertently turn on during times when it was absolutely needed, and there certainly had been those times in the past. But in a general agreement he occasionally argued with himself over, Howie yearned for what the touring did for him. Of course, that had been when everything still made sense. Back when the five of them were the solid rock of foundation that kept everyone supported daily. Back before, as AJ insisted, Kevin decided he didn't need the four of them in his life anymore.
 
AJ had been bitter then when Kevin announced he was calling it quits on everything they had all worked so hard to achieve over the years and he was no less bitter now many months later. Second to the youngest of the group and despite his rough exterior, he hated change, despised it with a passion. But, unlike the others, he blatantly refused to live in denial. Or so he said. Yet there was one thing Howie could agree on… Things were different now and maybe AJ was the smartest one of them all. Howie was by no means unintelligent, but struggling to adjust to the downsize of their group had been a work in progress and there were still times when he found himself wondering if maybe one day their eldest friend would agree to a return. Although that appeared to be the least of Kevin’s concerns, and combating the rejection that was mutual within their tight circle, Howie chose to ignore the emptiness that quickly followed. Which was why he decided the reunion would be refreshing. No, Kevin was not coming back, but the man agreeing to take part in the latest venture, gave Howie the little bit of hope he need to reassure himself that Kevin hadn’t forgotten about them after all.
 
“I suppose asking him to give a little more consideration towards the fact that he’s wasting everyone’s time by making us wait would be too much to ask,” AJ grunted, his eyes narrowing momentarily before he reached for the tray of mini complimentary water bottles that had been provided upon their arrival. Grabbing one, he held it up for a brief look of scrutiny. “And what the Hell is this? Bite-sized water bottles? I know the economy is heading towards a recession, but this is bullshit. While those bitches are sitting up in their posh executive offices, drinking their internationally imported glass-bottled water, I’m stuck in this sauna, with a generic brand of spit that is smaller than my fist.”
 
“Is there a problem with the refreshments we’ve provided, Mr. McLean?”
 
The water bottle slipping from his hand at the sound of the abrupt interruption, AJ twisted sharply in his seat and watched with annoyance as the door to the conference room was pushed open further and two suit clad gentleman entered. Sizing up their firmly pressed designer suits, he withheld a groan and purposely made a show to hold up the mentioned drink. “No sir, it’s just lovely. Thank you,” he smirked. “In fact, I was just telling Howie how considerate it was that you guys-”
 
“Do we have an estimated time of arrival for the others?” the man cut him off mid-sentence as he gained ground to where Howie sat, his interest void of anything further AJ had mind to say. Motioning for the other man to follow, he lowered himself into a seat at the head of the table and pulled a stack of manila filing folders from a black Italian leather briefcase he’d towed into the room with him. “I was told Mr. Richardson’s flight was delayed several hours in Houston?”
 
“Unfortunately so, yes,” Howie answered him calmly, his stare in AJ’s direction a piercing warning when the younger man opened his mouth to certainly offer a sarcastic remark. "They should be here shortly, though. His flight landed nearly two hours ago-"
 
Nodding his frustrated approval, the man handed a file to Howie before sliding one carelessly in AJ's direction. "That's good to hear. We are running on a tight schedule and there's plenty for us to go over with the five of you," he mentioned, almost as if with boredom. Not to mention he appeared non-too-pleased that he had been assigned the pleasure of dealing with a group of over rated, spoiled pop stars that should have fizzled out long before. Or so he thought. "I'm assuming your management briefed you before your arrival here."
 
"They very clearly saw the dollar signs and made sure we understood that," AJ murmured at a note just short of whispering. Straightening his posture, he cleared his throat and peered out from beneath the rim of his cap to size the executive up once more. "Mr. Palermo, is it? With all due respect, what the Hell are we doing here? I mean, out of every blubbering, money hungry celebrity out there, you pick the five of us to jump start the comeback of some show that disappeared off the air how long ago? And more so, MTV hasn't given two flying shits about us for a while now. So frankly speaking, what gives?"
 
'You weren't my first pick, Kid. Trust me.' Mr. Palermo allowed the smug response to weave a bitter path through his mind. In fact, during the infant stages of planning for the project, he'd vied for more of an eclectic approach for casting for the pilot. Someone with more...appeal to the viewing crowd they aimed towards, which for the most part didn't include screaming pre-pubescent youngsters who couldn't stop crying over their 'idols' long enough to realize they actually didn't know what the Hell they wanted, or for that matter, what they liked. But somewhere in the scheme of it all, paths had crossed, wires were connected, and the idea to toss in a group of aging, washed men, albeit so far the longest lasting boy band, became the most appealing. Apparently so, the best chance they had at grabbing the eyes of the public for the show’s premiere.
 
And so, Palermo had been charged to assure the right contacts were made and quickly. It was no mystery that the five men soon to embark upon a venture that Palermo himself thought was a waste of time since it had failed and epically the first time around, had recently released their sixth studio album, admittedly titled “Unbreakable”, and would be putting forth a world wide tour very shortly within the upcoming months. There’d hardly been the time to seal the business ends of the deal, but after much negotiation and careful presentation of the propositions he’d brought to the table, it wasn’t long before the Backstreet Boys were signed, sealed, and delivered to be the newest cast for the comeback episode of MTV’s FEAR. There shouldn’t have been any second guessing that the men’s management team and record label would turn down such an offer, especially with the possible benefits on all three ends. Assuming all went according to plan, their team would prosper monetarily, the group would receive extra publicity, and the people Palermo worked for would get their show. Though he cringed every time he thought of the name, nearly as much as he cringed when he considered the idea of working along side the group…even if it was for a brief period of time.
 
“I couldn’t honestly give you an answer, Mr. McLean,” he finally decided to respond, and refraining from the chance to possibly put the younger man in his place, he rummaged deeper in his briefcase. “We had other options lined up. Unfortunately, those fell through and now you’re sitting here today and I’m getting a migraine because of it.”
 
Cocking an eyebrow, AJ glanced across the table at Howie, but his friend only shrugged in return as the stagnant air in the room grew noticeably thicker with tension. At the sound of the conference room door opening once more, he shuffled uncomfortably in his seat and slammed his unopened water bottle back upon the silver platter. “Well it’s about damn time,” he muttered, watching with disinterest as Brian and Kevin’s familiar forms sauntered into the room, their idle chatter barely piercing the sudden silence in the room. Shortly after, Nick followed suit, storming through the open doorway. The lines in his face twisted into creases of tension as he kept his cellphone pressed tightly against his ear and though he hissed to the other line in an undecipherable tone, it was very apparent that he wished to be anywhere but where he actually was at that very moment. Not that AJ wanted to know who or what his younger friend was talking to. In fact, he couldn't have cared less. So when Nick finally dropped himself into the only vacant seat left and released a string of hushed curses, AJ sunk further into his own seat and gave into the fact that this day was only about to get longer.
 
"What's the matter with him?" Howie muttered in Brian's direction, tentatively eying his bandmate when he abruptly jumped back up to his feet and stalked over to the window.
 
"Bad day?" Brian shrugged. He rubbed at his temples before offering a short wave of greeting to AJ. "I don't know, honestly, other then the fact that him and Kevin got into it on the way here from the airport. And before you ask, take it up with the two of them because I am staying out of this one. And now he's on the phone with Aaron, which I especially don't want to get involved with. But hey, how are you doing this fine afternoon?"
 
Releasing a short chuckle, Howie answered his rhetorical question with a crooked smile and shook his head. Turning his attention upward when he felt a hand clamp down on his shoulder, the corners of his mouth curled into an honest grin and he rose evenly to his feet to meet Kevin's friendly embrace. "Geez, Kev, it really is great to see you again," he spoke when they withdrew and took their seats. "Welcome back."
 
"I'm not back, Howie," Kevin responded softly, casting a brief glance over his shoulder towards his youngest friend. Releasing a sigh towards the sight of Nick's rigid back, he returned his attention forward.
 
"I know," Howie relented. "Still, it's great to have you here. It's been a while."
 
"Well," Kevin drawled slowly. "At least someone is."
 
"Mr. Carter, if you would so kindly wrap up your pleasant conversation over there, it would be much appreciated," Mr. Palermo gruffed with a heavy breath as he passed around the final copies of the manila folders. Wincing when Nick growled in frustration and without so much as a goodbye to the person on the other end the younger man trudged back over to the table, he motioned to the empty chair. "We're running on a short schedule this afternoon gentlemen, so we'll try to make this quick. As I already questioned Mr. Dorough and Mr. McLean, I am sure the rest of you are aware of why you've come here today-"
 
"Yeah, we're getting paid to hunt some fucking ghosts for the sake of the entertainment of America's brainless population," Nick interrupted with a sarcastic chuckle.
 
"I wouldn't have put it that way," Mr. Palermo looked at him oddly before clearing his throat and clasping his hands together on the table in front of him. "We will be going over the fine details with the five of you, answering your questions, and getting all necessary paperwork filled out and signed before you all depart tomorrow evening to the previously selected location. But first a little background about the show in case any of you are unfamiliar with the show FEAR. The show originally aired back in the year 2000 and ran for two seasons; ten episodes in the first and six in the second, for a total of sixteen episodes. The episodes consisted of five or more contestants that were sent to an allegedly haunted location, where they had to complete a series of dares over a period of two nights in order to determine whether or not the location indeed harbored paranormal activity or the presence of spirits. At the end of the two night run, the contestants remaining were then awarded a lump sum of money each. I will now turn things over to my associate, John Andrews to explain where the five of you come into play."
 
A stout man at the opposite end of the conference table inhaled deeply as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose with a stubby index finger. With sandy brown locks of hair unkempt atop his head, he seemed a man not worried with personal appearance over business matters. But his face remained set in stone, not a trace of humor visible while he flitted his fingers through several sheets of paper. "In anticipation of FEAR making a striking comeback, there have been a few altercations to the rules and guidelines for how the show will be run this time around," Mr. Andrews began slowly. "Of course, as you know already, the five of you will make up the cast of contestants for the pilot episode. During the first run of the show, each contestant was required to complete each dare assigned to them. If they were unable to complete their dare, they had the choice of passing that dare onto another contestant. Doing so disqualified them from participating in the remainder of the show and they were then sent home-"
 
"I nominate Nick as the first one to go home crying," AJ commented with a tight nod of certainty. Though he grinned when his friend immediately flipped him a finger and sent a near empty water bottle sailing towards his head. Ducking out of the way to avoid a surely painful impact, his eyes set into a deep glare.
 
"This time around," Mr. Andrews continued a moment later. "The show will take place over three nights in which each of you will be assigned at least two dares that you will be required to complete. However, if at anytime you find yourself unable to complete the dare you are assigned, it will then be passed onto another contestant, who will be required to complete that dare. Unlike the first go-around with the show, any contestant who fails to complete their dare and passes it onto another contestant will not be disqualified. In other words, no contestant will be disqualified, but in order to successfully finish the ordeal, all dares must be completed."
 
"Sounds simple enough," Kevin agreed, his eyes connecting briefly with Mr. Andrews'. "But there has to be a catch?"
 
"If you want to look at it that way, Mr. Richardson, then yes, there is," Mr. Andrews answered. "If at any time a single contestant opts to quit the show and leave, disqualification will result for the entire group and no money will be awarded."
 
"What kind of money are we talking about?" Howie questioned.
 
"If at the end of the three nights all five of you are still present, meaning no one has opted to quit and go home, and all of the dares have been completed, each of you will be awarded $15,000," Mr. Palermo explained. "That money will then be donated to a charity of choice under your discretion."
 
"All dares must be completed within the allotted time slot for each night and all dares must be completed by the end of the final time slot on the third night," Mr. Andrews spoke, flipping through several more pages. "All of this is outlined within the packet we've provided you with today so if at any time you are unsure about a certain guideline or rule, you can refer to these pages. Also, a very important reminder when completing the dares you are assigned. All footage will be reviewed after the three nights are over. Any contestant found to have not completed any single dare or found to have not abided by the rules and guidelines, will result in disqualification for the entire group."
 
"Why the Hell are you looking at me for?" Nick suddenly growled. Though clearly not humored by the round of laughter that circulated throughout the room on his behalf, his cheeks turned a bloody crimson and he crossed his arms over his chest. “That’s bullshit. Do you really think I’m gonna go wildly parading my ass out on some land I’m not familiar with when I’ve got a bunch of spirits chasing after me? Show me a hot female ghost and that’s another story-”
 
“A little more respect would be nice,” Kevin murmured.
 
“I’m sorry, Kevin. Were you speaking?” Nick quirked a quick brow in the older man’s direction.
 
“Now is not the time,” Kevin looked directly at him as he spoke.
 
“Yeah, well, you’re not my boss anymore,” Nick muttered.
 
“We suggest the five of you spend a period of time tonight reviewing the guidelines and contracts you are about to sign to prevent any misunderstanding,” Mr. Palermo cut in before the seemingly harmless bickering could continue further. “Any loose ends that need to be tied up before your departure should be taken care of before you leave tomorrow.”
 
“Where exactly are we being sent to?” Brian questioned, his tone suddenly weary with uncertainty as he straightened his posture.
 
“Unfortunately we are unable to disclose that information at this current time. However, you will be escorted to the location tomorrow evening-“
 
“Why does that ring alarm in my mind?” AJ grunted. “Take five unsuspecting singers- correction, four singers- to a location no one knows, where there are no witnesses…”
 
“It’s all part of the game, Mr. McLean.”
 
“Thus proves reality tv hasn’t improved a bit over the years and America’s standards for entertainment only continues to degrade.”
 
“I’m sure you all have your opinions towards what you are about to do, but I can assure you that should you have any concerns, you can rest assured knowing we wouldn’t put any of you in a position where you may be harmed. Of course, you have the option to back out now-”
 
“That’s a load of bullshit,” Nick coughed beneath a disgruntled breath.
 
“We’re not backing out,” Howie spoke slowly, his eyes wandering over the familiar faces around the table. Brian’s puzzled azure eyes locked with his and for a moment, they seemed to exchange a silent understanding. “This just isn’t exactly something we take part in and I think I speak for all of us when I say that for a lack of better words, it’s not all that comforting either-”
 
“Yes, well, sometimes life isn’t comfortable,” Mr. Palermo offered shortly.

“Think of it this way, gentlemen,” Mr. Andrews spoke as he removed his thin rimmed glasses to rub tenderly at the bridge of his nose. “You all like to consider yourself as normal people, I’m sure. Well lets take a moment to look past the fact that your lifestyle puts you above the rest of society. What you’re about to do is going to test your capability to withstand some not so normal situations and in doing so, your ability to handle fear will also be tested, just as with any day to day citizen of this country would have to do if they were being put in the situation you are about to be put in.”
 
“So the more we scream, the more your ratings go up,” Nick actually smirked.
 
“Might help-”
 
“Lets face it. It doesn’t take much to entertain America,” Mr. Palermo added. “The five of you just happen to be the ones chosen to jump start this part. Are there any questions?”
 
“Are we done here?” AJ quirked a quick brow. Feeling the strain of all eyes suddenly on him, he didn’t falter.
 
“There are a few papers we will need each of you to sign before you leave, but yes,” Mr. Palermo nodded.
 
“Right, cover all avenues so we can’t find means to sue after this is all over,” AJ muttered and at the sound of papers shuffling and low murmurs, he sunk deep into his chair and allowed his eyes to drift close. A slow, nagging throb had returned just beneath his temples and his attention had successfully been lost at the hands of the disgusting attitudes of the executives before them. He had compiled more than a few choice words to express his opinion over the matter, but Nick’s constant sarcastic remarks seemed to be doing the job for him just fine. And he looked forward to the moment when he could depart in his own direction for a few hours before they were forced to contribute their part into the project.
 
“Wake up jackass!”
 
Grimacing at the light object bouncing off his cheek bone, AJ released a low guttural growl of annoyance and pried an eye open to catch his younger friend’s expression of amusement at his expense. “What the fuck is your problem?” he snarled, reaching to the floor at his feet to grab the crumpled paper and hurl it back in Nick’s direction.
 
“Put your autograph on paper so we can all get the Hell out of here,” Nick answered simply.
 
Forcing himself to his feet, AJ glanced down to the table where Nick had shoved several sheets of paper and a cheap ball point pen. Quickly scribbling his messy scrawl, he carelessly dropped the pen back to the table and stretched his arms above his head. “Are we done?” he repeated his question from earlier when he realized the two executives were no longer in the room and the group was slowly inching towards the door in preparation to disperse.
 
“Not that it matters to you, but we were waiting for your lazy ass to wake up.”
 
“Bite me, asshole.”

“Why don’t we grab a bite to eat while there’s still some daylight left?” Howie suggested when they entered the hall. Though baffled when Nick quickly shoved past the rest of them and stalked his way down the hall, he attempted to offer a positive smile, despite the tension that quickly ensued, something he still didn’t quite understand since Brian had been so vague upon arriving to the meeting earlier. “It’ll give us all a chance to catch up and-”
 
“You can count me out,” Nick grunted back over his shoulder.
 
“That attitude of his is going to get old real quick,” Kevin muttered under his breath.
 
“And here we go for round two,” Brian released a heavy sigh as he abruptly stepped out of the way to allow his cousin to brush past. Determined not to get in between the conflict that appeared to continue to brew from earlier that afternoon, he stole a quick glance at his watch and frowned at the way his stomach clenched together towards the mention of food.

"Get your hands off me!" Nick's agitated voice pierced the air a moment later and looking up just in time, the three following watched the younger man stumble backwards into the wall. His azure eyes narrowed into a look of venomous daggers, he attempted to straighten his shirt before doing the same to his posture, all the while his broad shoulders remained rigid in defense.
 
"This is ridiculous, Nick," Kevin stated calmly. "We need to talk-"
 
"You already said your peace during the car ride over here, Kevin," Nick seethed in return. "And you know what's even more ridiculous? The fact that you are here! What the Hell are you even doing here?!"
 
"Because believe it or not, I'll still care-" Kevin started to answer when Nick took a dangerous step towards him.
 
His hands clenched into fists, Nick heaved a deep breath. "Don't stand there and lie to me like that," he accused, his voice low with disbelief. "You couldn't care less what goes on because you decided to not be around, because you decided you didn't want to be around anymore. So if you really think you can stand here and make me believe that you still give a shit, then you are out of your fucking mind! You haven't given a shit about me or this group since you walked out the door."
 
"Nick..." Howie trailed with caution.
 
"And why don't you tell Howie what you felt so freely to tell me earlier? Hell, I'm sure Brian would be willing to tell him!" Nick continued.
 
"This isn't right..." Kevin murmured, wincing openly towards the frustration that contorted the younger man's facial features.
 
"What isn't right is that you think you still have a place here, but you don't. You lost that right when you left. And if you think this little publicity stunt you are trying to pull by appearing on this show with us is going to help your precious little career you think you have going on, then you have another thing coming-"
 
"C'mon, Nick. You've said enough," Brian suddenly decided as he quickly moved forward to step between his cousin and younger friend. Shooting Nick a warning glance that he hoped would be registered, he placed his hand against Nick's chest and gently pushed him backwards. "Let it go-"
 
"You're nothing without us, Kevin," Nick snarled a final time before spinning on his heels to continue down the hallway with Brian close on his trail.
 
Tentatively approaching his eldest friend, Howie pursed his lips tightly together in contemplation. "Y'know, I'm not sure what he was talking about..." he started to speak carefully as Kevin's shoulders rounded forward and he released a heavy sigh. "But he's not right."
 
"Maybe he is," Kevin shrugged with a soft answer.
 
"Kev, that's-"
 
"Don't worry about it, Howie," Kevin tried to smile, but the creases at the corners of his eyes spoke a different matter. "I'm sure he'll be fine once he cools off. I'll talk to him then."
 
"Kev-"
 
"Maybe he's right?" AJ suggested, his tone less than pleasing as he, too, brushed past without another word.
 
"Well...I can already see this is going to be a lovely trip," Kevin forced past his pursed lips.
 
"A lovely trip indeed," Howie muttered with a tight shake of his head. Though somehow he knew it was going to be anything but, and that knowledge was uncomforting in its own right. He couldn't possibly fathom what had triggered the outburst between two of his closest friends and with the impending three day venture ahead of them, he could only wonder what would be in store. Although one thing was for sure...it would be far from normal.