- Text Size +
RACHEL’s POV

“Sorry that was an important client.” I told Alex as I pointed on the phone. He had been on my office for like five minutes “You must be looking for Alexis, he went home 45 minutes ago.”

“I’m sorry, I meant to pick him up on time but something important came up.”

I looked up and stared at him, I wanted to ask him what was more important than our son. But I chose to keep quiet, after all I’ve decided that maybe AJ was right that we were better off like this, just civil to each other. And let time decide if they would ever be friends again.

“Alexis is still waiting for you, he haven’t had his breakfast yet. He insisted he’ll wait for you and you would come. Don’t worry I made him drink his milk and eat a slice of bread.”

I was talking in a very calm and low voice, hoping that I wasn’t showing any emotions at all.

“In that case it will be better if I go.”

AJ said and stood up. He looked at me as if he wanted to say something, but he shrugged his shoulder and went to the front door.

After an hour I received a call from Leighanne, she told me about the confrontation with Heather. That explained why AJ was so quiet when he was here and not picking up a fight. I wonder if he would really change the way he treated her.
~~~~~~~~~~

I was surprised to received a call from Alexis, he never called, he would go straight to my office if he wanted to say something.

“Hi, Mom! I’m at the diner with Daddy. He wants to ask you if you want to join us for dinner.”

“I am so sorry, baby, I’ll be working overtime but you can have dinner with your Dad. And please ask Aunt Ally to bring me something for dinner when she comes home, ok?”

I was silently wishing Alexis would just agree with me and won’t ask so many questions.

“But, Mom, Dad wants you here.”

“Some other time, sweetie, Mommy is doing something important.”

“Mom, you always stop working just to have dinner or lunch with me, why can’t you do that now?”
I sighed.

“Because Mommy doesn’t want you to eat alone but Daddy is there with you. You will be fine, swettie.”

“Ok, see you later, Mom, I love you.”
I smiled when I heard him surrender.

“I love you too, son, more than anyone can love you. Be safe, ok?”

I put down the phone and tried to concentrate on my work. I felt guilty for lying to Alexis, I could leave my office anytime and I was not doing anything important. I was just too afraid to be with AJ and Alexis at the same place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I opened my eyes and shut them again when I felt the terrible pain on my head. After a few seconds I opened my eyes again and looked at the clock on the bedside table, it read 9 a.m.

Damn! It’s late!

I regretted having two bottles of beer and staying up so late last night. I sat up and massaged my forehead for a couple of minutes, then decided to take a shower. It was already 10 am when I finished getting dressed. I went out of my room and decided to check on Alexis first before going downstairs. Alexis wasn’t on his room anymore, he must be already playing outside or maybe AJ has picked him up. I had to admit I was hurt by that thought, I was wondering why Alexis didn’t wake me up before leaving the house.

I smelled my favourite breakfast while climbing down the stairs, someone was cooking at the kitchen. Ally should have left two hours ago so I wondered who was at the kitchen. I walked faster towards the kitchen and was greeted by a gorgeous man with the sweetest smile.

“Hey! Good morning.” AJ said while putting the plate with bacon and eggs at the dining table.

“Morning, Mom! Daddy cooked your favourite breakfast.” Alexis stood up from his chair, took my hand and led me to one of the chairs.

“Good morning, baby! How was your sleep?”

I asked Alexis while throwing sideway glances to AJ, who kept on smiling, I had no idea why!

“Fine. Daddy slept beside me. Sorry for taking him from you, Mom. Don’t worry He is yours tonight”
Alexis grinned. AJ burst out laughing. I threw AJ an angry look.

“Hey! I didn’t teach him that.” AJ held up his both hands “Come on, sit down you two, let’s have our breakfast.”

“I should---“

“Please don’t tell me you’re leaving without having breakfast.”

AJ’s beautiful brown eyes were pleading, how can I resist that? I started eating my breakfast quietly. For the first time I ate without having to worry about Alexis, AJ was taking care of him, serving him like a king. I smiled while watching the two most special men in my life. I couldn’t help but wished this was real and won’t have to end.

“Mom, Uncle Nicky promised me that he will be here with Baylee and we would play video games all day. I am so excited, I can beat Uncle Nicky this time.” He said with so much confidence that made me laughed.

“I bet you can.”

“I’ll be on my room, Mom. Please tell Uncle Nicky
that.”

He blew kisses to me and to AJ before running towards the stairs. I stood up and brought my plate to the sink.

“I’ll take care of the dishes. You might want to join your son on his room.”

“Nah! I’d be happy to do this.”

He said then took the plate from my hands. I sighed and turned around. I started to walk away from him then stopped when I heard him spoke

“Can we talk?” He asked in a low voice almost whispering

“About what? I mean, of course it’s about Alexis but what about him in specific?”

“I want to talk about us, Rachel.” He said while taking a step closer to me. I took one step backward.

“I thought there is nothing to talk about, AJ. And I agree with you on that. You still have a week with Alexis, and before you go we will talk about some arrangements, you can visit him here anytime but there is no way I would let him tour with you and ruin his quiet and peaceful life here.”

I was trying to avoid eye contact, I won’t let myself drown on his beautiful brown eyes. I have to be strong.

“But-----“

“AJ, I don’t know why all of a sudden you’ve changed. I can still hear all the painful things you have told me the other night on my head. And now you’re acting as if nothing happened. Where is the anger you’ve been showing me since you got here?”

I held up my right hand when AJ opened his mouth and tried to answer “I know it’s been four years. We’ve been through so much pain. You have no idea how much I suffered when I left Atlanta that night, and I know you suffered too. Our life has been miserable since the night I left. I kept saying it was not my fault that you were hurting right now, but I was just fooling myself because it was. I believed Heather’s lies, I did not trust you enough and made my own decision thinking it’s for your own good, but it wasn’t, it ruined our beautiful life together. And that night I came back to tell you I was pregnant.”

I stopped and reached for my phone in my pocket, looked for that message again and handed the phone to AJ. He read it, confusion, anger and pain were written all over his face. He looked at me and I slowly nodded while tears flowing from my eyes

“Yes. I was stupid enough to believed it was from you. I lost my faith and trust on you, AJ. That’s why after that night I stopped trying to communicate with you. So maybe you were right when you said I kept Alexis from you. I should have tried again after that night, or I should have waited for the concert to be over and talk to Nick, Brian or Leighanne for help. Or I should have waited for you and personally tell you the good news.”

I paused for a moment and tried to compose myself again. I went to get a tissue from the kitchen counter, wiped my tears and turned to AJ again. “I think we have to give each other some space, and Let’s talk again when we’re both OK.”

“Rachel, I didn’t know who sent this text message to you.” He started before giving the phone back to me. “It might be Heather or anyone else but me. I won’t say those things to you. Never.”

“I know. I am really stupid to realize that after four years.” I laughed to mock myself “ There were times I wanted to see you again and tell you about Alexis. Especially on special occasions, I should have done that but this text message was stopping me from doing so. I kept reading this text message until I convinced myself not to see you because you don’t want to see me. Pathetic, isn’t it?”

“If I say I’ve forgiven you, would you believe me?” AJ asked seriously

“Let me forgive myself first.” I smiled at him, then walked towards the front door.

I heard AJ cried and it broke my heart. But I had to do it, I had to forgive myself first before I could ask for his forgiveness. At least now reconciliation might be an option in the future. But not now.