- Text Size +
AJ’s POV

I was staring at Rachel for about ten minutes now. I couldn't believe that after four long years I'd be able to see her pretty face again. She just got in to her office while I was having coffee at the bakeshop across the street. I had been here for an hour, Brian kept his promise and managed to learn where I can find her. How did he do it? I have no idea. It’s funny because though I was hurting and mad at her for leaving me, I was happy to know she achieved everything that she dreamed of. She passed the Certified Public Accountant exam and runs her own small office now. She offers assistance to small business who needs help with their accounting and tax problems, actually according to Brian every business in this town was her client. I stood up and tossed a couple of dollar bill in the table, I went out of the bakeshop and took a deep breath before crossing the street. It's show time!

Rachel looked up from her laptop when she heard the door opened, and she was very surprised to see me standing in front of her table.

"Miss me?" I smiled sarcastically

"What do you want?" She said and looked back at her laptop.

"It's been four years, honey, and that's all you're going to say?" I said with mockery

"Look Alex --"

"It's AJ to you" I cut her off and said with sarcasm. There was no way I was going to make this easy to her

"Fine! AJ, just tell me what you want then leave." I saw her trying to blink back the tears, but I didn’t care.

"Well, I'm not really sure. Why don't we start on why did you leave me just like that?"

"It's been 4 years, Alex, I mean AJ. I really don't think we still have to talk about it."

"I waited for you, damn it!" It’s too late when I realized I pointed a finger on her. I started massaging my nape. "You told me you just needed fucking space and time then you would come back. I've been waiting for four fucking years and I gotta tell you, sweetheart, it ain't easy."

"Come on, AJ." Rachel stood up and walked towards me, her arms crossed. "We both know you had a lot of relationships after us so please spare me the lies."

"Damn right! And thanks to me they all have careers now." I started to laugh but I wasn’t laughing about the situation. I was laughing at myself.

"What do you mean?"

"You see, my dear Rachel, I had a deal with them. They just have to pretend as my girlfriend and in return I'd help them find a record deal. Simple, right?"

"And why would you do that?"

"Because I have to show the world that I have moved on even though until this very minute I haven't."

"I don't really understand why you are so mad when you were the one who pushed us away?"

"What the hell..."

"Daddy?"

I stopped talking when I heard that little voice and I saw Rachel closed her eyes. I turned around and saw a little boy leaning against the door. I stared at him while he was walking towards me, my heart beat faster, what I felt towards this boy was unexplainable. Then the boy hugged me.

"You're finally home, Daddy. It's so nice to see you."
I felt like I was going to cry. I looked at Rachel asking for a brief explanation. She nodded slowly, as if she confirming what the boy has just said, that I was his father. Rachel eyes started to well with tears. I turned to little boy, stared at him for a moment.

“What’s your name?” I managed to ask

“Daddy, it’s me. Alexis.”

My heart seemed to burst with overwhelming emotion. With shaky hand I touched Alexis’ face and I hugged him. I started to cry, I cried so hard for all those times I wasn't there for my son.

"Why are you crying, Daddy? Did I do something wrong?" He asked worried

"No, baby," I let go of Alexis and wiped his tears with the back of my hand "Daddy is just so happy to see you."

"Me too, Dad! I missed you so much!" Alexis said with a big smile "Let's celebrate Daddy, I want an ice cream."

"Sure, buddy, let's go."

"Mom?" Alexis turned to Rachel

I almost forgot she was there. I looked at her hoping she would not come and spoil my time with Alexis.

"Sorry, honey, mommy is kinda busy right now. I'll catch up with you guys later." She was smiling as if everything was fine. I glared at her.

"Ok. Bye, Mom." Rachel leaned over to kiss Alexis.

I took Alexis’ hand and went out of the office without looking back to her.