- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey, guys! I am so sorry about the lack of updates. My roommates and I moved, we didn't have Internet... just been a crazy couple of months but I did manage to get a couple of chapters written. Thank you for the positive feedback and I hope you enjoy.



"Have a good night, Cay!"

"You too, Mary!" I called back, smiling at one of my co-workers as we piled out of the warehouse. Another shift gone by, another day wasted in such a dismal building. But, money was money, a job was a job and with this economy... you can't complain too much. I pulled the binder out of my hair and it spilled loosely against my shoulders. The wind blew softly, shifting some pieces of hair into my eyes as I began to dig into my monster of a purse for the car keys. Unlocking the door, I slid into the driver's side and sighed softly before taking a pack of cigarettes out of the glove compartment. Lighting the end, I took a long drag and exhaled. A stream of blue-gray smoke floated into the night air and I closed my eyes for a moment. I took another drag before opening my eyes again. Starting the ignition, I put the car into drive and headed home.

"Definitely too quiet in here," I muttered, pressing play on the stereo. Sure enough my favorite song, Unmistakable, began and I had to chuckle. What can I say? I'm 25 years old and I still insist on playing the Backstreet Boys in my car. It's not my fault I listen to good music. Turning on the right blinker, I took the familiar turn onto the highway that would lead me to the suburb I lived in. I took another drag and did a dangerous thing. I began to think.

It had been a month since the guys spent the night at my house. After I had woken them up-- okay, screw that. Alex woke them up by tickling me! Sorry, I always go off on tangents. They spent the day at my house, since going out to the mall or something might prove to be disastrous, even if it wasn't like the Millennium era anymore. Better to be safe than sorry, right? It ended up being a pretty relaxing day, even for them. Watched movies, played video games and munched on snacks. For some reason I even let Nick surf the Internet on my laptop. Lord knows what kind of mischief he caused. I heard him mutter something about Twitter, but maybe he was talking about birds... Anyway! They were picked up around dinnertime to get their busses. Thank goodness their next venue was near Chicago; it wasn't too far from St. Paul. I'd feel terrible otherwise.

That morning Alex and I had talked about where things were going to lead us. He suggested friendship and I think I was almost relieved, though I'm sure I didn't show it. I didn't want to be one of those girls who spent the night with a celebrity just to get thrust into their world. Frankly, their world scares the shit out of me and I'm hoping with being friends that it won't subject that to me as much. However, being friends might prove to be slightly difficult when I'm so attracted to him. Let me just say this. Alex is like the Enigizer Bunny. He keeps going and going and going... not to mention he's very persuasive.

When we weren't spending time in my bedroom, we cuddled on the couch talking about anything and everything. Of course, the other three would put their two cents in randomly and I didn't mind at all. We all learned things about each other and I consider Brian, Howie and Nick friends as well. They're sweet, down to Earth guys, even without the press and fans around. It's who they are-- oh! My favorite part of the song!

"How can I know a song I never heard / How will I know your voice when you haven't said a word," I sang passionately as my car sped down the bumpy asphalt of the highway. "How do I know how this will end before we begin..."

Sweat drips in my eyes, screams of lust we cry

"What the..." I trailed off. How the Hell did it go from Unmistakable to Apology?! That's a completely different song! Tonight you are everything-- Oh, shit, it's my phone! Turning down the stereo, I reached into my purse and pulled out the slim slider. Pushing it up with my thumb I pressed the receiver to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey, Babe!"

"Alex!" A smile creeped onto my face and I quickly released the half-smoked cigarette out the window. "How are you?"

"I'm doing just fine, how are you?"

"Oh, alright. Just got off work. You?"

"Driving to the next venue. Nick and Brian are playing video games... Howie is on the phone with Leigh... and..." he trailed off, and I raised an eyebrow.

"And...?"

"I missed you."

"Stop being corny," I teased with a laugh. My exit came up and I was soon at the bottom of the ramp, taking a left. "You always make me feel like we're one of those sappy high school couples that took twenty minutes to say goodbye between classes. You'd think we're dating instead of friends."

"I can't help that I missed you," Alex huffed, though I could see a smile on his face. It had been several days since we last talked and I was actually beginning to miss hearing his voice. I just chose not to tell him that.

"Sometimes I think you're the female in any of your relationships," I continued. "Demanding attention, denying sex when you're mad, asking if your butt looks big in your jeans--"

"Okay, I am not THAT bad!"

"I think you might be."

"You know what? Bite me!"

"You enjoyed it when I did that a month ago."

"It fucking turned me on."

"Well, now if you were here..." I smirked, pulling into the driveway. Killing the engine, I locked up the car and headed into the house.

"Believe me, with the mood I'm in right now you'd be screaming my name already," he rasped. A shudder went down my spine at the thought but I merely chuckled, as if it didn't get to me.

"Oh really, Mr. McLean?"

"Really. And I hardly doubt you'd object to that."

"I think you assume too much."

"Do I?"

"...Yes," I decided, closing the front door behind me. The lock clicked easily along with the chain. I may live in the nice suburbs, but that doesn't mean the neighborhood never locks its doors. This is the twenty first century, people.

"Hesitation will always give you away, my darling."

"I think thine ego doth becoming too large, my dear sir," I quipped right back with a roll of my eyes. Slipping off my shoes, I padded my way upstairs towards the bedroom. Looking through the hamper, I found my favorite pair of pajamas.

"Nothing about me is too large--"

"Spare me the innuendos for a moment," I interrupted playfully. "I have to get changed into my pajamas."

"I could--"

"Seriously, Alex. One more innuendo and I'm hanging up."

"Okay, okay."

"Thank you. Hold on," I placed my phone on the bed and quickly changed into the large t-shirt and baggy boxers. Did I mention that I... er... borrowed them from Alex? No? Whoops. What he doesn't know won't hurt me. I crawled under the comforter and picked up my phone. "Okay, I'm back! Miss me?"

"Absolutely."

"You can be so cheesy sometimes."

"Cheesy yet honest."

"Why the Hell do I put up with you?" I questioned, curling onto my side with the phone nestled against my ear. I heard him chuckle and I held back another urge to roll my eyes. Not much riled him up, no matter what I said. Not something I was used to, but then again there were lots of things about Alex that I wasn't used to. To say he was one of a kind would be an understatement.

"You already know the answer to that, Love."

"Don't slip into your Johnny No-Name persona. I don't think I could take any more of his oily pick-up lines. You already got me in bed, multiple times I might add. You don't have to feed me that bullshit anymore."

"Jesus, you're feisty tonight. Have a bad day at work?"

"No..." I trailed off.

"Cay."

"The job is shit, Alex. You know that," I replied, closing my eyes for a moment. When my parents passed away, they had left me the house I grew up in with all mortgages and such paid off. But I still had utilities to pay for and taxes along with my car payment, insurance and cell phone. I had a roof over my head but it all comes with a price. "Some nights I just get fed up with it all and want to say fuck it. But I can't. Mom and Dad... I can't lose the house, there's too many memories."

"Are you sure there aren't better jobs--"

"Sure, but they're for people with college degrees, which I lack. I can't afford to go to school to get a better job because the job I have barely covers my bills as it is. It's a vicious cycle."

"Cay... I could easily help you. The money would have you set and you'd never have to go back to that Hellhole ever again."

"Alex, I already told you no. Asking me once a week isn't going to make me change my mind," I groaned. The thought of taking his money almost made me sick to my stomach. I'd be no better than the other girls he had slept with.

"I just hate that you're so miserable."

"I appreciate it, I really do. But I can't take your money."

"Why?"

"You know why!"

"You never tell me why. You just say no and change the subject," Alex challenged. If he had been in my room, I would have smacked him.

"Ever think that there's a reason for that?"

"If you told me why, I could be more understanding. I would stop talking about giving you money--"

"Somehow I doubt you'd stop even if I did explain."

"Is it such a crime to care about you?"

"God, no. I just..."

"What?"

"I'm used to being on my own," I stumbled for a quick excuse. Not that it was a lie, but I didn't want to go farther than that. The last thing I needed was pity, or to have him misunderstand my fears about taking his money.

"A lot of people are," he reassured. "But that doesn't mean it would hurt to let others in."

"I'm trying, Alex. I really am," I whispered, and it became silent on both our ends for what seemed like hours. When he cleared his throat, I nearly jumped from the sudden sound.

"Anyway. The tour should be over within the next couple of weeks... would you be able to come to California at all? I could just pay for the ticket--"

"I can't."

"Cay, it's only a plane ticket, you could buy everything else for yourself--"

"No, it's not that," I quickly interrupted. "I can't get the time off from work. I still need to work hard to get WSI for benefits... besides, FSA only gave me two personal days and three vacation days. I used them up to see you guys on tour."

"...What if I came to visit you in Minnesota?"

"You'd really come up here? To see me?"

"No, I'd come up there to visit the Republican party at the capitol," Alex scoffed and I knew he was rolling those rusty-brown eyes of his. "Of course to see you!"

"You all don't get a lot of free time, and the weather is nothing like California. It's actually pretty cold... not to mention that Minnesota is as exciting as a curling game."

"I know you've lived there all your life, but I've been there quite a few times and I like it. We get to spend our free time any way we want. And I want to spend it with you."

"Are you sure?" I nearly whispered, hoping that he meant those words. It felt like months since we had last seen each other and to be with him and only him... it would be nice.

"I'm absolutely positive. Besides, we need to celebrate your birthday! I was in Canada and I don't think a call from us constitutes as a good birthday present."

"Alex--"

"Nothing extravagent, I promise. Just let me do all the work."

"I still say you're going to be the death of me," I sighed, knowing he had won the battle yet again. I say this all the time, but damn him.

"I love you," he crooned playfully.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I replied with a hint of sarcasm, stifling a yawn. It was nearly an hour after getting off from work and my second wind was dying down. I hated to lose time in conversation with him because of sleep, even though it's my second favorite thing. Sleeping with him on the other hand... might be my most favorite thing. What? I'm a woman and it's human nature! That's the story I'm sticking to.

"You need to get to bed, Sweetheart."

"I know."

"I'll call you tomorrow night."

"If anyone needs to sleep, it's you. All I do is stand on my feet for eight hours. You perform for thousands of fans, singing and dancing under those hot lights for at least three hours and that doesn't mention any potential soundchecks earlier in the day!"

"Cayla. I'm calling you tommorrow night."

"Alexander," I groaned.

"You don't love me?"

"You know I love ya," I replied, enhancing on the slang to keep it from being too deep. Last thing I needed was to fucking fall in love with him when our lives are such polar opposites. Friendship with an occasional fuck-- alright that was just crude of me. Being friends is just the best thing for us. "I just worry about you getting enough rest."

"I get at least eight hours of sleep, Momma."

"I'm going to hang up on your smart ass--"

"No you won't."

"So confident."

"So right."

"Wait until eleven-fifteen to call," I gave in, though I would be looking forward to his call all day long at work, whether I want to believe it or not.

"Yes'm!"

"You're such a dork."

"You like it."

"I do. I miss you," I admitted softly, feeling my cheeks burn with a hard blush. Thank God he couldn't see that.

"I miss you, too. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay. Goodnight, Alex."

"Sweet dreams, Baby."

We hung up and I placed my cell phone back on the nightstand. Curling under the comforter, I closed my eyes and allowed my mind to wander. So many things to think about and just not enough time to process them all. A visit from Alex would clear some of the stress that was obviously building from work. Just a weekend by ourselves. Well, maybe not entirely by ourselves. I'm sure one of the bodyguards would be tagging along like they did when the guys slept over. It would still be great no matter what. As I was planning what we could do, I fell asleep. Shit.