- Text Size +
"Did you have a good time tonight Shel?" AJ said as they stood in front of her door.
"The best." Slipping her arms around his neck.
"So we could do this again sometime?"
"Just name the time and place and I'm all yours."
"You do know what you're saying?"
"Very much so."
"So you know I'm very tempted to kiss you again." Pulling her closer.
"So what's stopping you?"
"Not a damn thing."Seeing Nick over her shoulder; watching them. Completely consuming her. He backed her against the door; drawing her leg up around him.
If she weren't so much of a lady, she'd ask him in right now.
He knew he had to restrain himself despite the very pressing matter in his jeans."I gotta go."
"Sure you don't want to come in?" She knew he wanted to and her morals had just flown out the window.
Kissing her once more, he softly whispered in her ear."We won't have anything to look forward to if I don't leave now."
Nice save Mr. Mclean. She knew what he was doing but that attention whore in her had jumped out and was fully ready to play as long as he did."When you're right, you're right. Goodnight."Softly kissing him before he walked away. She lingered at her door just a bit too long with the memory of his lips before she heard the voice she wished would have come in the morning instead of now.
"We need to talk,"Nick stated firmly. He wasn't gonna fly off the handle here he decided. No. He could save it until they got inside at least.
"Isn't that supposed to be my line?" Shelly returned as she slid the card in the slot; pushing the door handle down when it signaled her to do so.
"I'm not laughing."
"Neither am I." She flipped the switch on as he brushed past her into her room.
"Come on in."
He raked his fingers through his and looked at her. Those ocean blue eyes had turned dark with anger." Why Shelly?!
Why did you do it?!"
"I assume you're talking about the kiss."Calmly setting her purse on the dresser and stepping out of her heels.
"What else would I be talking about. How could you do this to me?!"
"To you?! What about what you did to me?!"
" What did I do to you?!"
"Would it have killed you to interrupt us?"
"Yes! Then everybody would have known!"
"Known what Nick?! That you were defending a friend? That's all they would have known."
"I'm not very good at hiding my feelings for you anymore Shel."
"You did a damn good job tonight!"
"Because I had to."
"No you didn't. Would it have killed us to tell AJ? Far as I can tell, he's the only one on our side right now."
"I just.....
"I get it. I'm too old for you."
"That's not it! I just want to be sure about this before we put it out there Shel. I care too much about you to see the media tear you apart."
"I'm not worried about the media Nick. I've seen what your fans do to any woman that gets near you. It's like they don't want you to be happy."
"That's not true."
"It is too. Excuse me,"she said and went to answer her door.
"Got a minute?"AJ said.
"Yeah. Nick was just leaving." She glared at him
"I can come back."
"No. You can stay."
"We're not through Shelly,"Nick growled.
"It's my room. We're through."
"So you can get freaky with the freak?"Nick snapped.
"Not that it's any of your business but he's been better company than you have these days."
"I just came to apologize,"AJ responded quietly.
"No need. I was a willing participant and if Nick would get his head out of his ass and admit that we have something going on, then he'd have every right to be pissed off because then I'd be his girlfriend kissing on his best friend. Right now I'm just the opening act on your tour that happened to go out and have a good time with AJ."
"Nick I'm on your side here. This goes no further than here until you guys tell me. Shelly's a fantastic woman and any guy in your position would be lucky to have her. Man up or you're gonna lose her," AJ said as he left the room.
She took a deep breath as her head landed against the closed door. What the hell was she thinking when she got involved with a younger man?! She wasn't because he gave her that vitality that she craved and at the same time could carry on a conversation without it feeling forced. Nobody gave the guy credit. He was a man now and yet his fans still treated him like the little boy they fell in love with. And that's exactly how she was treating him tonight. She was acting like a high school girl trying to make her boyfriend jealous. She succeeded but now she had to go be a grown up again.
Like she should have done in the first place.
His elbows on his knees, he rested his head on the palms of his hands. This was nuts! They were both adults and they were both acting childish but she started it. Oh please Nick! Even you don't buy that. She was just trying to get you to admit to something quite frankly, neither of you is ready to admit to. It's all there. You just need to let go of the fear. Easier said than done. He watched as her stockinged feet came into his line of view from where he sat on the bed." You want me to leave?" He said without so much as looking up.
"No, but I'm still mad. Not so much at you but more at myself."
That caught his attention. Most women he dated were always in the right( no matter what the situation). His eyes moved up to meet hers; only mere inches away from him. "Why? You're right."
"Am I?"
He nodded affirmatively. They just looked at one another for what seemed forever. The words he wanted to say seemed to remain caught in his throat. He did however, manage to produce them. "I'm scared Shel." He finally admitted.
His voice was strangled and she could feel the vulnerability. She reflected everything he was feeling." I am too blue eyes but we've made it this far right?" Gently grabbing his fidgety hands and softly pressed her lips against the backs of them.
Their eyes locked and for the first time ever, that fear of their revalation disappeared. Screw 'em all! If they couldn't accept whom he chose to date, then they couldn't accept him. "It's not gonna be easy."
"Not as much fun if it is,"she teased.
"So you're really ready to deal with this?"
"For as long as the ride lasts."